FM11 : Manager/Team Tactical Compatability

Something I would like to see in future FM releases would be more meaning to a Manager/Teams tactical preferences. While it should be possible for a manager to take over a team an completely change its style of playing it should be far more common for teams to hire managers that fit with their tactical philosophy. For instance the Australian national team tends to hire managers that fit their 1 up front, strong defensive structure style. The new manager does not fit this perfectly and has obviously been chosen for other reasons but in the past the preference has been clear.

It would be good if when a vacancy came up and various managers applied the team in question would compare their historical style of play with that of the candidates and use this to some extent in the decision of whom to hire. Obviously it would not be the final consideration but it would lead to teams playing a similar tactical style over time which would perhaps supplement the new feature of national templates being used with the creation of regens.

Certainly other historical trends could be taken into account, for instance some national teams might preference managers of certain nationalities (Ie. The Australian team has a clear historical preference for Dutch managers.). Some teams might prefer to hire managers with previous national team experience rather then mangers of large teams, others the opposite. Some teams might not hire managers who also hold an international job and vice versa. It would be great to see teams show hiring practices that fit their past proven tendencies.

This could be a feature used for hiring considerations for all teams not just national ones.

Thoughts??

Something I would like to see in future FM releases would be more meaning to a Manager/Teams tactical preferences. While it should be possible for a manager to take over a team an completely change its style of playing it should be far more common for teams to hire managers that fit with their tactical philosophy. For instance the Australian national team tends to hire managers that fit their 1 up front, strong defensive structure style. The new manager does not fit this perfectly and has obviously been chosen for other reasons but in the past the preference has been clear.

It would be good if when a vacancy came up and various managers applied the team in question would compare their historical style of play with that of the candidates and use this to some extent in the decision of whom to hire. Obviously it would not be the final consideration but it would lead to teams playing a similar tactical style over time which would perhaps supplement the new feature of national templates being used with the creation of regens.

Certainly other historical trends could be taken into account, for instance some national teams might preference managers of certain nationalities (Ie. The Australian team has a clear historical preference for Dutch managers.). Some teams might prefer to hire managers with previous national team experience rather then mangers of large teams, others the opposite. Some teams might not hire managers who also hold an international job and vice versa. It would be great to see teams show hiring practices that fit their past proven tendencies.

This could be a feature used for hiring considerations for all teams not just national ones.

Thoughts??

TBH, I don't like the idea as I think it shouldn't influence at all club's or national team's decision to hire certain manager.

^

I don't know if it should but in real life we know of cases where it obviously does. Clearly managers are hired in some cases based on how they fit in with a teams established tactical structure. I think it should be included at least to some extent since it influences real life hiring to some extent.

I know what you are trying to get at and to some degree you are correct...but personally hope this doesnt make it into FM.

You could say Bolton traditionally played direct and physical football under Alladyce and Megson. However under Coyle they are trying to alter this approach by mixing in nice "passing" football.

I appreciate that this analogy is a tad over simplified but if FM was set up so that clubs picked managers based on their style, then I think it would be a little bit detrimental to the game as managers like Coyle woyuld never get a chance.

How would someone who has built their career up at a lower league level, end up getting a job at Arsenal/Barcalona further down the line?

I don't know, I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand it would add an interesting element to the game, where when you apply for a potential job you can be interviewed about your plans for the team's playing style (and while we're at it, potential players you want to buy/sell, etc.). But of course every club is different, so for this to work properly, I imagine each club (owner?) needs an individual attribute about the importance of their preferred style. For example, a team like Barcelona will be really insistent on finding a manager that plays attacking, possession based football, but a lower league club won't care what style you play as long as you get the results.

Interviews would be an interesting addition but I wouldnt want these to be too important in determining if you got the job. If Mourinho told Real Madrid that would play rigid but winnign football, I reckon they still would have hired him as he is one of the best managers in the game with a winning rep.

Archived