Are you a poor manager?

Most people seem to achieve at least some success.

I've seen threads where people say they're bored because they've won everything going and others that have stayed with a club long enough to eventually bring in some silverware.

But are there many people who love the game and continue to play despite being pants at it with little or no success?

I normally win something if I plug away. I normally find it hard to get immediate success with a team , however once success comes I find it quite easier to retain :) Might be because once my manager rep is established it makes signing players and retaining their respect a whole lot easier.

I'm one of those managers that never does badly enough to get sacked, but never actually takes a club anywhere.

If you want mid-table security, I'm your man. If you want promotion, you can forget it

Yeah! a real FM coach!!!

I generally do what's expected of me. If I'm expected to give a title challenge/promotion then I am generally in the mix. However, I rarely win anything or get anywhere if I'm not expected to and normally get relegated if I'm predicted to finish near the bottom. Generally I'm awful at transfers, never have enough patience to scout through all the clubs to look for bargains.

I think that the hardest task in FM is without doubt, getting a team promoted into the premiership and beating relegation. I have won countless trophies in England, Spain and Italy but I have NEVER managed to survive for long in that league if I've just been promoted, even if I dicked the championship.

I'm very hit and miss, got 6th place first season with Tenerife and I missed a lot of very good chances to get into the top 4 while at the other end of the scale I got sacked in all of my first 3 saves when i started in FM09. I'd like to think I have got the hang of the game but I need to pay a bit more attention to detail, my inability to take a video game seriously seems to keep hindering me, be it at Call of Duty, Forza or FM

I'm pretty bad at managing any team below the top divisions; where you don't have any money to do anything, and the scouts are too rubbish to enable me to get any good players. I just don't know how to turn a losing streak around.

I can take relegation-threatened teams to European success, though.

I'm pretty crap at FM. My tatics are so damn awful. Always get fired. But I don't wanna use someone else is tatic because it takes the purpose out of the game.

I hear you mate. Good luck. I'm sure you will find something that makes you great.

Well....to be fair, the first time I played FM, I took the undefeated Arsenal team......to comfortable mid-table position. I was so baffled because I dominated CM, even as a child. FM was a whole new monster. Well it took me 2 or 3 years to develop a basic tactic for myself. I've gotten pretty good now at this game but for a good while I was very poor at it.

What helped me a lot was the different explanations I got about different aspect of the game I found in the Tactics and Training Forum as well as on other websites.

Even now my tactics are constantly evolving and it has taken a lot of reading to get to where I am right now.

I brought notts county to be the worlds best team.......tactics arent the greatest but I can spot a great player. If you want a team nobody has ever heard of brought to the prem, I am your man :D. I tried to bring York but the board sacked me after 3 straight defeats after getting promoted :(. Now I am managing bristol rovers and I am currently challenging for the league.

I ain't a poor manager.......I am the worlds greatest!!! :D:D

i have won many things on fm10 with several different clubs. proud of my success this time. but i started playing cm back in 2000 and got my 1st fm in 2007. i havent always been good and it takes a long time to crack the game. i even admit i still learn new things about the game now

of course training is important. Its the only real way to develop each player in areas they have weakness. You dont 'get' your training from anywhere, training needs to be tailored to your team. Set individual training for each position depending on what the players lack and to adjust them to your style of management.

My niche is clubs that just want to survive in the big leagues.

I really don't go through the hassle of tactics but if you take control of any of the top 6 in England then you don't need tactics, you can just buy the league fairly easily

im an okish manager, i seem to like managing at the lower levels with small teams winning a variety of trophy's along the way from the Blue Square North to a couple of trophies in Sweden and Switzerland LLM i guess is my style but enjoy managing at the top level too, were trophies are expected with success where as LLM its the otherside of the coin and it taste's even sweeter when you manage to win a title and a league/cup

I'm avaerage at this game to be honest.Always start out as West Ham and can normaly lead them to top 8 but I just can't seem to take us to the next level!

Started a new game as Notts Forest and got them promoted through the play off's in my 1st season which I was rather chuffed about.The 1st season in the Prem was a total disaster,Im not afraid to admit that i went the whole season without winning a game,drawing 5 and scoring a mere 12 goals! The strange thing was that the start of season expectations was to avoid relegation.I was relegated by the end of January (must be a record!) yet the board were happy we were on target to achive the season aim! Then to top it all off, the season ends and they offer me a new contract :D happy days indeed.

Im ok. Im not the best. Im better at Lower league football as its more wheeling and dealing.

Ol' Harry will disagree with this.

I'm currently managing Real Zaragoza in La Liga. My 1st season we got 10th place and in the 2nd season we got 4th place. I'm now playing my 3rd season with Zaragoza, and we're in the CL. However, it's not looking too good--we drew Arsenal & Florentina (sp?). We're still weak against top teams.

sometimes i am very good, yet sometimes i seem to make a good club play very badly by making stupid decisions. I have taken togo to 4th in the world cup, the cote d'ivoire to semis and finals, yet i can play very badly sometimes - i have no middle ground, average consistency unfortunately

I recently won the Champions League for the first time in about 3 incarnations of FM. I generally manage to achieve valiant failure or heroic losses with average teams by and large. And I'm the Shteve Mclaren of international management. Want a country to fail to qualify for something? Then I'm your man.

I've played all the reincarnations of FM since CM Italia. My successes to date have all been found in FM10 where I've won one Scottish Cup with Falkirk and two 3rd place finishes in 6 years. I've read about people running away with SPL as Hearts and Dundee United (even one chap who had Falkirk in the CL!) but to me, not being relegated counts as success =)

I hear you mate. Good luck. I'm sure you will find something that makes you great.

Well....to be fair, the first time I played FM, I took the undefeated Arsenal team......to comfortable mid-table position. I was so baffled because I dominated CM, even as a child. FM was a whole new monster. Well it took me 2 or 3 years to develop a basic tactic for myself. I've gotten pretty good now at this game but for a good while I was very poor at it.

What helped me a lot was the different explanations I got about different aspect of the game I found in the Tactics and Training Forum as well as on other websites.

Even now my tactics are constantly evolving and it has taken a lot of reading to get to where I am right now.

Yeah, I might have found my formation with 4-1-1-2-2. 4 Back, 1cdm, 1cm, 2 wingers, 2 strikers.

After 5 incarnations of this game, FM10 is the first one I have won something in the first season. And the first time I won a treble, and the first time I won something that wasn't domestic. Yay.

First time I managed to sell a player for more than their market price is too. And first time I have made a profit in 3 transfer windows in a row. This was a year of many firsts.

Also, making a killing of the free transfer market for the first time.

Also first time ever I have had any success with a national team. Woo. This one was lucky, I'd stumbled onto the right formula just as the knockout stages began.

I successfully finished bottom of the Conference North with Solihull Moors and Kings Lynn, in consecutive seasons. I then hopped over to Italy and miraculously almost got Alessandria promoted, just missing out on away goals.

At the end of the season I got offered the Portsmouth post, in the championship, with decent players, and a small amount of money I finished mid table. The following season though I got sacked while sitting in the relegation zone.

I spend too much time on sorting out the clubs finances that I even stop myself from signing players due to my mentally implemented wage cap!

I think people would call me, if they were feeling charitable, an average manager. If I manage a team with players and money, like Arsenal, I do o.k., in these circumstances I can win things, though I invariably then suffer the aforemenioned Second Season Syndrome. If, on the other hand, you put me at a more 'normal' side, like Crystal Palace, Swindon and I'm doing well to be above half way. I do tend to avoid relegation though, I think I get more enjoyment out of relegation scraps than I do title races.

I'm not too bad, I always seem to achieve moderate success but never seem to have a save last long enough to totally dominate world football for a sustained period. It normally takes me two or three saves to stumble across the right tactic for me - once I find a decent tactic I stick with it through thick and thin!

As for signing players I'm not too bad, I try and mix up my saves so I don't inevitably end up signing the same players over and over again, but my signings (at whatever level) tend to be hit and miss.

Most people seem to achieve at least some success.

I've seen threads where people say they're bored because they've won everything going and others that have stayed with a club long enough to eventually bring in some silverware.

But are there many people who love the game and continue to play despite being pants at it with little or no success?

FM should have a Easy - Medium and Hard selection button. I personally find the game to easy since you can buy players over 48 months and build a class team. I downloaded a very good summer transfer update on FM Base recently and have started a season with Blackpool in the Premierleague. Ive decided I will only buy players with the money i have, not money i dont have by doing it over 48 months. I have found this extrememly challenging and exciting due to the game being harder like it is to sign a player in real life.

I tend to be able to get clubs punching above their weight a bit, without ever getting any real success, I've won leagues and promotions before, but never an actual trophy. Having said that I have a habit of starting with continental lower league clubs which explains both the lack of top-flight silverware and the punching-above-weight thing (there's more scope for improvement when you start with a rubbish team!).

Also probably because I don't really care about tactics and training, I just focus on doing well in the transfer market and then send the team out with default tactics created from the options in the tactics builder/wizard/whatever you want to call it.

That's what makes a good game though, the effort/reward scale, you tend to get out what you put in.

I always start in the Belgian third division or the Lowest English league. Playing the game since fm 99/00 and I have never won the champions league. I hope that FM11 brings more luck with the dynamic league rep.

Even Saviola, Aimar, Kalstrom, Kennedy didn't do the trick for me(in their prime obviously).

Archived