Nations eligible for...

Just out of curiosity, what is the maximum amount of nationalities you have seen a one player on the game? Btw, nationalities picked up through playing in the country's leagues do not count.

Secondly, if you were a footballer, what countries would you be eligible to play for? I myself would be eligible for at least 3 different countries that I can think of, possibly 4. How about you?

I think there are quite a few players who start with at least three. Sure there must be some with 4 or 5 though.

I'd only be eligible for sure for England, but can think of three others that could be a possibility. Unlikely though if the rule is simply "parent or grandparent born there", as despite my grandma being born to German parents, growing up in Germany and her siblings being born in Germany, she was born in England. Think if going on great-grandparents I could also qualify for Poland/Czech Republic but I don't think you can. :thdn:

How dull. Could go and live in Cyprus though.

For the uninformed, like myself, what would allow one to play for multiple countries? Passports held? Ancestry? Origin? What are the rules (aside from picking up countries by playing there X years)?

Rules are hold passport, granny rule, no previous international senior appearances (except in cases of country breakups, and associate members like Guadeloupe who've had a few former French internationals play for them). FIFA also have a residency period rule for the passports held (not sure how long). Some FAs have additional rules like the Home Nations have a written agreement that they cannot pick a player whos not born in the jurisdiction unless he has family ties to the country (granny rule) or has spent five years in the education system in the jurisdiction (I imagine to end of secondary level).

Not all of these are in the game.

@Nottingham, do you hold passports for all five, as that is a requirement unless I'm much mistaken.

For the uninformed, like myself, what would allow one to play for multiple countries? Passports held? Ancestry? Origin? What are the rules (aside from picking up countries by playing there X years)?

Hmm I am fairly sure that ancestry goes back as far as 2 generations. So if you had an Irish Grandmother for example, as long as you could show her birth certificate to FIFA, you would most likely be fast-tracked to an Irish passport and then I guess you would then be eligible to play for the Republic of Ireland.

Whatever country you are born in, I think you are eligible to play for them as well. Hope that helps!

I am fairly sure I would be eligible for England, Ireland, or Argentina. Or possibly Italy as my Argentine grandmother's family was from there. My dad would have to get an Argentine passport before I get one but there should be no problems there, thus there should be no problems for me. Hmm my Grandfather also served in India so if he stayed there long enough, I might be allowed a passport through my father making me eligible for a 5th country haha!

I've had loads of players (regens) with very weird combinations of nationalities, here are three:

Alex (Alex Soares Santos), Afghan, Dutch, Brazilian

Marquinhos (Jose Marco Komatsuzaki) Japanese, Italian, Brazilian

Torbjorn Catenacci: Swedish, Polish, Guadeloupian

And on my game, Elvis is alive... and Ukrainian

I am fairly sure I would be eligible for England, Ireland, or Argentina. Or possibly Italy as my Argentine grandmother's family was from there. My dad would have to get an Argentine passport before I get one but there should be no problems there, thus there should be no problems for me. Hmm my Grandfather also served in India so if he stayed there long enough, I might be allowed a passport through my father making me eligible for a 5th country haha!

Ireland: only allowed two nationalities, so that's limiting you to 2 if you declare for Ireland, also would have to be a grandparent connection (or fully recognised adoption).

India: I'm assuming your Granddad served under the Raj, and I don't think that would be taken into account for passports for the Indian Republic.

Italy: The rules re passports from descendancy are much the same as Ireland's.

Argentina is a real problem.

Not sure I've had any regens that were eligible for 3 nations, well any decent ones that I payed attention too. But if I was a footballer I'm pretty sure I could be eligible for;

England as i was born here

Ireland due to my grandmother

Nigeria due to my grandfather

Barbados due to my grandparents on my mothers side. Not sure if they even have a national side though :p

I would only be eligible for England and Wales (through grandmother), how dull, always thought how cool it would be to move to somewhere like andorra, gain duel nationality and then undoubtedly play england in qualifiers for either major comp ;)

I would only be eligible for England and Wales (through grandmother), how dull, always thought how cool it would be to move to somewhere like andorra, gain duel nationality and then undoubtedly play england in qualifiers for either major comp ;)

Scott Sutter, sort of did. English-born Swiss international. (But he had a Swiss father)

Shame he didn't play last night.

Canadian international Julian Guzman is Canadian/Filipino/Jamaican. And in my games he usually takes German citizenship too if he stays in the country long enough.

I am personally eligible for:

Canada (my place of birth)

Hong Kong (parents)

China (grandparents)

But I would only be eligible for Canada and Hong Kong, since China would want me to renounce my Canadian citizenship, which I will never do, and my parents aren't born in China either...

Don't you have Brazilian Wisner too Des with Wellington Pheonix? Can he take New Zealand citizenship and play for the Kiwis? He's quite a star in the Careers Forum with AcidBurn's career game. :p

Archived