Stupid Thread, But have to Ask :P

I have timed myself on how long I take to issue my squad numbers for a season. I took 19:23 Minutes. :p

Anyone else done something obseen like this? Like watching every match in Full?

Lol!! Sounds very extreme. I couldn't care less what numbers my players have :)

Well. Primary keeper must have number 1 as his number. Then the reserve keeper must have 13. Only amazing player who I plan to keep will have the numbers 7,8,9, 10, 11. Sub Striker must have 14. Also numbers 88 and 99 must be given to 2 players. Also a wonderkid must have the number 98, if a striker of course. The 2 center backs are 5 and 6. Fulbacks 2 and 3. Defensive Midfielder must be 4, of course (a la Baise Matudi of AS Saint Eitienne. :)

I have timed myself on how long I take to issue my squad numbers for a season. I took 19:23 Minutes. :p

Anyone else done something obseen like this? Like watching every match in Full?

Oh wow.....Im usually done in 5-10 mins.

do you change personnel a lot then? If you have a settled team dont the numbers stay the same. I try and get my players to keep the same number where possible.

No not really, If I have 4 wonderkids ;), I will give him an Odd number. Lets say 63 :) Haha

I tend to use lower numbers for first team players but give a player his preffered number if it's available, I think right now four of my seven subs at Man City wear 1-11, not counting Lukaku who usually gets 11 on match day.

Corkey, I bet you hated it when the numbers were just 1 to 11 and midfileders had 6.

Ah but back in the day when numbers were 1 to 11, number 4 was a midfielder and 6 a CB!

Even with England, Terry/Ferdinand wear 5/6 and Gerrard wears 4. About the only thing England get right :p

Ah but back in the day when numbers were 1 to 11, number 4 was a midfielder and 6 a CB!

Even with England, Terry/Ferdinand wear 5/6 and Gerrard wears 4. About the only thing England get right :p

Too Right. Too Right Indeed!

Tell that to Steve Bruce. Number 4. Gary Pallister number 6

Oh Jesus, here we go...

1 - GK

2 - RB

3 - LB

4 - DM

5 - DM

6 - DC

7 - MR/Talented MC

8 - MC

9 - ST

10 - MC/AMC

11 - ML

12 - RB

13 - GK

14 - ST

15 - DM

16 - DM

17 - ST

18 - DC

19 - ST

20 - DC

21 - ST

22 - GK

23 - MC/AMC

24 - DL

25 - ST

26 - MC

27 - AMR

28 - DC

29 - AML

30 - ST

31 - GK

32 - ST

33 - DL

34 - GK

35 - DM

36 - DC

37 - ST

38 - DC

39 - DC

40 - ST

41 - GK

42 - Young, talented player

43 - Young, talented player

44 - DM

I'm another who takes an eternity for squad numbers too. It's one of the things I look forward to in the game (along with the transfer window).

I try to give everyone the number they like, then fill out the rest with pretty high numbers (30s and 40s).

I use a simple ranking system. 1-11 is my first choice team. 12 is my second choice right back, 22 third choice right back, and so on... Only exception is my second choice GK who get the 99 shirt, as obviously he can't follow the ranking rule and take the 11 shirt.

I'm the same;

1 - GK

2 - RB

3 - LB

4 - DM

5 - RCB

6 - LCB

7 - RM

8 - AM

9 - ST (Main goalscorer)

10 - ST

11 - LM

12 - RB

13 - GK

14 - LB

15 - CM

16 - ST

17 - DF

18 - DF

19 - ST

20 - CM

I run small squads so that's as much as I fill in, especially as in England under 21's don't need numbers.

That's pretty full on. I don't care too much but I never give the number 13 out so my second goalie gets number 40, then 50 for backup. Low numbers for key defensive players, mid numbers for strikers so on. Number 10 for flair creative midfielder, 6 for my deep lying playmaker and 9 to my main striker.

Squad numbers have to be right, although it doesn't take that long

1 - GK

2 - DR

3 - DL

4 - MC/DMC

5 - DC

6 - DC

7 - AMR

8 - MC

9 - ST

10 - ST/AMC

11 - AML

12 - No-one

13 - No-one

17 - Promising young winger

20 - Promising young striker

21 - Promising young winger or striker

24/25/26 - Sub keeper

It depends on the league you play in, in some you can't give out squad numbers.

I'm generally pretty relaxed and it never takes me longer than 2 or 3 minutes. I do like to give number 13 to my most promising young palyer and number 50 goes to my best or most promising young centre back after having my best ever player get that number way back in FM06

The top DM doesn't get 4 in all cultures, though, that is just England. In Argentina, the top one would get 5, would he not? Redondo, for instance. While in Brazil, the CBand LB swap numbers, so Roberto Carlos is 6.

I give players numbers I think suit them, generally, and the 4,5,6 gets given whichever way around it looks better when combined with the players name. So, for me, Otamendi looks better as 4. Otamendi, while I always thought Ignacio Camacho looked better as 6. Camacho...

I try to give them their faviourite numbers however if that number is taken I try to either give them a similar number like if a player's fav number is 23 but it's taken i give them 32. If it's 7 i give them 77 or 17. Otherwise i give them a number suiting the position or else a random number!

I use a simple ranking system. 1-11 is my first choice team. 12 is my second choice right back, 22 third choice right back, and so on... Only exception is my second choice GK who get the 99 shirt, as obviously he can't follow the ranking rule and take the 11 shirt.

Haha! Yes someone else who gives their second choice 99!!!

Consider my mind boggled. What do squad numbers even do?

As far as I'm concerned they're just squiggles on the back of a shirt.

When it was first introduced they denoted what position each player played in.

Now it's more for identification than anything.

Consider my mind boggled. What do squad numbers even do?

As far as I'm concerned they're just squiggles on the back of a shirt.

In FM they probably are, but irl they are a big thing!

Your number is your identity within the squad. If you wear number 9, you are the one to get the goals, number 7 is the main winger etc. Players hate coming in mid-season and getting 34 or whatever, and are often glad when that is replaced by 9 or 10 or whatever in the summer.

In FM they probably are, but irl they are a big thing!

Your number is your identity within the squad. If you wear number 9, you are the one to get the goals, number 7 is the main winger etc. Players hate coming in mid-season and getting 34 or whatever, and are often glad when that is replaced by 9 or 10 or whatever in the summer.

Is there any evidence that game players care? Has anyone seen an SLT complaint: unhappy to be given number 13?

1 GK

2 RB

3 CB

4 CB

5 LB

6 defensive MC

7 left AMC

8 offensive MC

9 striker

10 number 10, obviously :p

11 right AMC

12 to 18 go to my subs, in the correct order. The rest of the numbers are assigned consecutively as the players make it onto the bench.

When I use a 4-4-2:

10 11

6 7 8 9

2 3 4 5

Archived