The role of club presidents in the new game.

I'm really hoping that the club president has much more impact on his/her club in the new game, maybe even to the point where you have to question whether you can work with him or not before signing.

Do you think that the president will be able to make signings himself and then present them to you perhaps with a requirement to play them and well, win? For example, maybe as what happened with Ibrahimovic and Robinho signing for Milan recently, or when a new president arrives having already agreed to bring a player to the club. I was thinking that these signings may or may not affect the amount you yourself have to spend and that if you have a chairmen with a lot of resources, a high interference rating and a high ambition etc he may still sign someone even if you have spent the amount given to you for transfers. I think it would add a huge amount to the variety and realism of the game would love to see it in.

Also I am expecting that finally presidential elections will be in the game with all the attendant election promises and in game transfer consequences. I say expecting, maybe it's more hope, but it should be in imo. I still think that the level of control you as manager have over club transfers should greatly vary depending on your reputation, the tradition of the club (I don't think clubs in all leagues traditionally give the manager as much control as perhaps in England) and the president's willingness to hand over total control to you; I think this should be decided when you negotiate to take over/renew with a club.

Presidential elections only happen in certain countries, Spain for one, so I don't think this should be universal. Chairman interference, ok, but is that possible without SI libleing chairmen who have very high opinions of themselves ? If that's not an issue though no reason why the nature of the club chairman would not be something you could consider before applying or accepting a new club.

I know that elections only happen in certain countries, but if i'm right they dont happen in FM at all at the moment, so for example Laporta goes on and on at Barca. And when you think of how much happens in football because of the Madrid/Barca elections, they really need to be in. Chairmen already have interference ratings at the moment I think. I would just like to see ambitious presidents go further and go above you to sign someone if they want him enough.

Just to clarify, I certainly only want to see elections in the game for clubs that have them irl, not for all. But for those that do have them, they must be in.

They only occur at four clubs in Spain (Barca, Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao and Osasuna).

However, they would be a good addition, and would make managing those clubs much more realistic.

Ditto that.

Not a day goes by in the Spanish press, that something isn't said, done or reported by or of either of the club presidents of Real Madrid or Barcelona. There have been some considerable political undertones where Laporta is concerned, but these are best left out of the game.

I do have to wonder how easy/difficult it would be to add the presidential elections to the game for such clubs though, as with any elements that are only "realistic" to a small proportion of clubs.

so who would get a say in the voting of the president? I get to vote irl as a a barca member but who would in game? Surely it would have to just be a random one out of the 3 or 4 candidates which you get no say in as you are not a member of the club?

Entirely valid point. It would only really be the same as the randomness of a board takeover or club buyout in the game. Playing the game as the manager would and shouldn't have any influence on who becomes club president, though it could have an influence on your job security and players you're able to sign, or that the president might try to sign on your behalf, depending on his interference attribute.

Personally, I would see such an implementation being no more than a rolling news item around the time of the presidential elections.

yes this would work, but it would have to be a pretty smooth process as your president would have to be replaced or re-elected every time and not have the 'take over falls thorugh' message etc, it would have to be something that did happen on time and obviously have no embargo etc.

I had a feeling it was already there, but hadn't seen any news items in my own saves, having not played as one of the clubs that has presidential elections. I think it's every four years they're held normally, so maybe that needs to be implemented properly? Perhaps at the moment it's age/retirement related, to trigger elections?

possibly. I think a key inclusion is to have the presidents promise a signing if they are elected, and in turn getting elected brings in that player as generally its a big name like when Laporta took over us, he promised Beckham or Ronaldinho, however, it doesnt always happen, Rossell didnt promise a player but still got my vote!

Archived