Start of the season bonuses

As we all know, at the start of the season you set a bonus for the players;

A League bonus

A Cup bonus

I usually set them both to high, or League to high and cup to medium.

But this season (currently with Aldershot in League One), I set them both to low. Oh, what a mistake that has turned out to be!

BUT! As long as I don't get relegated, it will have saved me over 200k!

Anyone else set them both to low? How did it turn out for you?

Normally always medium but past few seasons it has been high and I've had better results in the champions league from it.

It really only seems to affect 'Ambitious' players, as they are the only ones with "Please his efforts can be rewarded with high bonus".

This does have a bearing on the expectations of the board, and can lead to you getting the sack if you do not perform to the level you have set, i.e. if you set your bonus structure to high for league position, then the board will expect you to finish higher than if it was set to medium.

I will, therefore, set this appropriately to where I expect to finish in the league with the squad I have and the finance provided for transfers!

I tend to do medium honestly, I was almost broke by winning the coca cola league 2 as Bromley when it hit me with 250k win bonuses for my team and I had like 300k in the bank. I lost more money on medium bonuses than I gained from winning the league as the prize money is the same at 1st or 10th.

So in lower english leagues I can't really see it being viable setting it high, as I'd just end up in debt.

in english prem I could somewhat understand it, same for scottish prem, Although at st mirren I couldnt afford it so I tended to do low league low cup high europe bonuses until I got a new stadium.

Archived