direct promotion or take the risk?!

ravo

started a newcastle save. after 28 games im top by 15 points. not saying im going to loose games on purpose but if you go up by play off's do you get more money than coming first like real life? i think its 60 million you get isnt it?

started a newcastle save. after 28 games im top by 15 points. not saying im going to loose games on purpose but if you go up by play off's do you get more money than coming first like real life? i think its 60 million you get isnt it?

Its a load of rubbish. You will still get the same if you get promoted automatically. The only reason the media highlights it is because its a one off match which means a lot. Blackpool or other promoted teams from the Championship that have gone up through the play-offs dont actually get £90m straight away. Its £90m over 4 years and you get that only if you get relegated as its made up of £48m in parachute payments I think. I would go up automatically as it doesnt make a difference irl or the game. If you go up and stay up longer you get more money than you would if you went straight back down.

Not really the, figures put about by the media, are future figures conflated into one amount, and then those figures are gotten by assuming some very optimistic results, and never take into account the associated costs derived from the results.

You get more money for winning the league. Come on, it doesn't make any sense to get more from doing worse!

The "£90m for winning the playoffs" is the prize money for finishing bottom, PL TV money, and four years parachute payments, as well as other revenue increases. The winner of the Championship gets all of those, as well as more prize money for winning the Championship.

One bonus of finishing top would likely be a higher reputation bonus, making getting players slightly easier. However I've found in lower leagues I've lost out on money because the prize money is the same at 1st and 20th but the bonus payouts to players are ridiculous if you win. Far more than the prize money.

It's hyped up as a massive game, because basically it is.

The top 2 teams don't get this mentioned as they have gone up automatically and not through the lottery of the Play Offs.

So for one of these 2 teams, it's one game where the following season the winner will be playing in one of the best leagues in the world, if not the best league in the world.

Where they will face off against the like's of Man Utd,Arsenal etc, also they will be recieving the Premier League TV money which is alot more than the Championship TV money.

Plus their attendances will no doubt be boosted, and even if they get relegated they will recieve 48 million partachute payments over 4 years to help get them back in the Premier League.

And for the loser it's an entire season for nothing and they have to start off all over again in the Championship the following season, where they will play the likes of Scunthorpe/Doncaster etc.

The top 2 teams get the same amount of money as the team who wins promotion through the play offs, but they secured promotion over 46 games.

And as for the other 4 teams they have 3 one of games to try and clinch promotion, and that's why they call it the £90 million match.

You get teams who just scrape into the Play Offs on the last day of the season and finish 6th on 69 points, who face the 3rd team place who just missed out on automatic promotion with 80+ points and have been one of the better teams through out the season.

And more often than not the team that finished 6th goes and beats the 3rd place team in the Play Off Semi Finals, meaning all there hard work though out the season was all for nothing. :D

It's hyped up as a massive game, because basically it is.

The top 2 teams don't get this mentioned as they have gone up automatically and not through the lottery of the Play Offs.

So for one of these 2 teams, it's one game where the following season the winner will be playing in one of the best leagues in the world, if not the best league in the world.

Where they will face off against the like's of Man Utd,Arsenal etc, also they will be recieving the Premier League TV money which is alot more than the Championship TV money.

Plus their attendances will no doubt be boosted, and even if they get relegated they will recieve 48 million partachute payments over 4 years to help get them back in the Premier League.

And for the loser it's an entire season for nothing and they have to start off all over again in the Championship the following season, where they will play the likes of Scunthorpe/Doncaster etc.

The top 2 teams get the same amount of money as the team who wins promotion through the play offs, but they secured promotion over 46 games.

And as for the other 4 teams they have 3 one of games to try and clinch promotion, and that's why they call it the £90 million match.

You get teams who just scrape into the Play Offs on the last day of the season and finish 6th on 69 points, who face the 3rd team place who just missed out on automatic promotion with 80+ points and have been one of the better teams through out the season.

And more often than not the team that finished 6th goes and beats the 3rd place team in the Play Off Semi Finals, meaning all there hard work though out the season was all for nothing. :D

I know how that feels :(.

[/b]

I know how that feels :(.

:(

Bet it's a horrible feeling, the season we went up throught the Play Offs we finished 5th.

But any one of Reading, Sheff Utd and Birmingham could have gone up in 2nd place on the last day of the season.

In the end Birmingham went up after beating Reading away, Sheff Utd finished 3rd, Reading 4th and us 5th.

We beat Reading and then Sheff Utd in the final, meaning they both had to stay in the Championship.

But that's football for you, the highs and the lows. :thup:

:(

Bet it's a horrible feeling, the season we went up throught the Play Offs we finished 5th.

But any one of Reading, Sheff Utd and Birmingham could have gone up in 2nd place on the last day of the season.

In the end Birmingham went up after beating Reading away, Sheff Utd finished 3rd, Reading 4th and us 5th.

We beat Reading and then Sheff Utd in the final, meaning they both had to stay in the Championship.

But that's football for you, the highs and the lows. :thup:

It is and the Play-Offs are a good thing in football makes it interesting.

There is no difference when going up.

When my club, Reading got promoted in real life, we went up, stayed there two seasons, then finished 18th on goal difference to get relegated.

Now I know for a fact that we got £12million last per year for two years due to Premiership Parachute payments as we could not get back up.

I believe for going down you get a million or so off the parachute payments depending on whether you finish 18th, 19th or 20th.

There is no difference when going up.

When my club, Reading got promoted in real life, we went up, stayed there two seasons, then finished 18th on goal difference to get relegated.

Now I know for a fact that we got £12million last per year for two years due to Premiership Parachute payments as we could not get back up.

I believe for going down you get a million or so off the parachute payments depending on whether you finish 18th, 19th or 20th.

All teams that come down from the Prem get 4 years worth of £48 million. Before it was 2 years I think. All teams now and in the past since the parachute payments have got the same amount.

Well it has only been sorted recently all this parachute payment etc. The ITV digital collapse pretty much tried to destroy the 3 teams relegated from the EPL in 2001 and my team was one of those, who then after failing at the 1st attempt to get back up have been in administration and have suffered ever since. :( Blackpool have got it good. BTW for the record, Ipswich missed out on the 4th spot and CL place by one point in 2000(finished 5th and then beat Inter in a tie in UEFA Cup next year!). Then everyone soon forgot and bummed Reading's 7th. The jealousy of modern day times :(

Well it has only been sorted recently all this parachute payment etc. The ITV digital collapse pretty much tried to destroy the 3 teams relegated from the EPL in 2001 and my team was one of those, who then after failing at the 1st attempt to get back up have been in administration and have suffered ever since. :( Blackpool have got it good. BTW for the record, Ipswich missed out on the 4th spot and CL place by one point in 2000(finished 5th and then beat Inter in a tie in UEFA Cup next year!). Then everyone soon forgot and bummed Reading's 7th. The jealousy of modern day times :(

Reading finished 8th despite having their three best players injured all season, and got promoted with a points record.

To be fair though. the collapse of ITV digital affected every team in Division 1[Championship] not just the relegated teams. Well apart from Portsmouth, who still had money to splash [< < How Ironic does that sound?] on the likes of Paul Merson, Steve Stone and Shakka Hislop among many others. Aswell as hiring Harry Redknapp as their new Manager, all thanks to Milan Mandaric.

We went from 2 seasons of being Play Off contenders twice finishing 7th, to then almost being relegated twice in a row and from then on trying to scrape a team together with no money, from 2002 untill 2008 we always struggled in the bottom half of the table. And we almost went into adminstration a couple of seasons after the collapse in 2004/ 2005 ish, after it was announced we were - 3million in debt, as we had spent money we were expecting to recieve from the ITV Digital deal.

And in the end we had to sell our Ground, with a 100 year rent back clause, we struggled to get by.

But as did alot of other teams thanks to the ITV digital collapse.

But look at Derby they were relegated the same time as you, and they struggled. But they've won promotion in recent times and even with the relegation payments they recieved this time around, they have still struggled to get back out of the Championship since.

But your right though, teams relegated from the Premier League have it much easier now adays. :thup:

Archived