When starting unemployed...

When starting unemployed, with the leagues from the English premier league to league two selected for example, what are the factors involved which persuade you to declare interest in a job, apply for it or actually accept it?

For instance, the first thing you do when you see an insecure job.. would you check the state of the finances? the stadium capacity? stadium rent? training facilities? youth facilities? club colours? kits?

I am just interested as to what gets you personally interested in a club. I have started unemployed and have gone on holiday for a year and a half immediately as I want the leagues and teams a bit shaken up and changed for when I get a job. I have declared interest in many jobs in league 2 and been offered jobs at Charlton, Coventry and Brighton. I didn't choose Cov as I was bored of managing in the championship, I turned down Charlton as I wanted to start in league 2 and Brighton for the same reason plus the fact that vivid blue does not tickle my fancy haha. I wouldn't mind managing Rochdale tbh as they look like a challenge, not terrible finances and I'm not going to lie; the fact that their club colours are blue and black are pretty sexy :)

Share your experiences!

well 'sexy' colours are definitely not my reason for choosing.. :)

I take the first offer, usually holiday for 2 season, and apply for everyone available and accept the first offer, i find it takes the 'choosing' out of it which i what i like, or I make a fake manager, holiday 2 seasons, retire him and make a new one and press 'pick team for me' a set number of times (i just think of a number, shut my eyes and press it that many times)

The way i did it originally and all these years later im still doing it!

One of the biggest factors for me is whether I could see myself liking the team and city in real-life, so I always do some research on Wikipedia. If it sounds like a good city, I'll go for it. As a huge Beatles and Pink Floyd fan, I heavily favor teams in or near Liverpool and Cambridge.

Past team success is another huge factor. I like obscure teams with little to no team history.

I normally choose a team based on their kit colour(how fickle). This is normally as I see myself staying with that club for a while and I find some clubs kits more attractive than others. I personally like to avoid teams with Red, dark blue or White shirts and opt for yellow, pink, light bluer or green kit colours.

Archived