I seriously hate these stupid paradoxes

While this is worded badly, actually take a moment to look into what each is saying, as although they read similarly there are obviously differences.

Morale refers to the general happiness of the players, and so one player being unsettled will be unlikely to have any short term impact on this. The phrase 'would die for each other' is merely a way of communicating the fact that the players are very close-knit, and may have little to do with their happiness. For instance, two players may be best friends but one wanting to leave could create disharmony, yet would the players get on any worse?

Again, the second point is an individual one, rather than a team thing, so is unlikely to impact on overall morale (at least not for a while), and may just be the player coming out and over-reacting to the media if they are out-spoken or lacking professionalism. It may also be the case that rather than actual disharmony, the player in question is the one out of the loop with the rest and no real disharmony exists. Regardless of the reason, a player being unsettled due to not playing or wanting a move away may do little to affect their relationship with other players (except maybe those they clash with personality wise), and if the team is doing well and the rest are playing then it's unlikely the rest will give a hoot.

That said, it's not worded brilliantly and I have noticed players seemingly over-reacting, so it's key to identify which players are unsettled and why - but looking at things like overall morale and harmony will be more likely to show the true impact, rather than the thoughts of one outspoken player.

Think before accusing it of being a screw up. :thdn:

While this is worded badly, actually take a moment to look into what each is saying, as although they read similarly there are obviously differences.

Morale refers to the general happiness of the players, and so one player being unsettled will be unlikely to have any short term impact on this. The phrase 'would die for each other' is merely a way of communicating the fact that the players are very close-knit, and may have little to do with their happiness. For instance, two players may be best friends but one wanting to leave could create disharmony, yet would the players get on any worse?

Again, the second point is an individual one, rather than a team thing, so is unlikely to impact on overall morale (at least not for a while), and may just be the player coming out and over-reacting to the media if they are out-spoken or lacking professionalism. It may also be the case that rather than actual disharmony, the player in question is the one out of the loop with the rest and no real disharmony exists. Regardless of the reason, a player being unsettled due to not playing or wanting a move away may do little to affect their relationship with other players (except maybe those they clash with personality wise), and if the team is doing well and the rest are playing then it's unlikely the rest will give a hoot.

That said, it's not worded brilliantly and I have noticed players seemingly over-reacting, so it's key to identify which players are unsettled and why - but looking at things like overall morale and harmony will be more likely to show the true impact, rather than the thoughts of one outspoken player.

Think before accusing it of being a screw up. :thdn:

Thanks for you answer.

First of all, Deligiannis is in my starting eleven so it's not a question of wanting to play more and, his morale is superb.

If willing to die for each other means closed-knit how can this player complain about disharmony amongst the other players ?

it's not a question of bad wording, it's a pure paradox.

Kinda agree with Hershie there.

The first statement is a professional one, where the second is a personal one anyway.

Was it Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham who fell out at Man U? They would "die for eachother" on the pitch, for the sake of the team but wouldn't speak to eachother on or off the field.

Taken on the same day :

Picture1-42.png

Picture2-17.png

You would think after years of making this game, Si wouldn't let such a screw up slip...:mad:

Where do you find the team morale report that say's they would die for each other?

I've never seen that on the club 'confidence' screen, i've click on my assitants profile but all i can do is offer him a new contract or sack him.

How do i go about getting this report?

Thanks for you answer.

First of all, Deligiannis is in my starting eleven so it's not a question of wanting to play more and, his morale is superb.

If willing to die for each other means closed-knit how can this player complain about disharmony amongst the other players ?

it's not a question of bad wording, it's a pure paradox.

Maybe they don't get on with another member of the squad and are essentially bad-mouthing them to the press. Generally the 'disharmony' will simply be one player being unhappy and either them or a more outspoken member of the squad then taking the story to the press, with them perhaps putting a spin on it. If there's no noticable harmony issues, then just look to see who's unhappy and what their character is. If they're a strong character then chances are others will notice, so it'd be best to either please them or let them leave, before you get any actual disharmony or morale being hit.

'Amongst the other players' is perhaps poor wording, likely to just suggest that one (or more) players in the squad are unhappy, or that one (or more) players are feeling uneasy about the unhappy player(s) complaining, or that simply the personality differences between the unhappy player(s) and some others are beginning to show, as after all there's little reason why they'd not get on when everyone is happy, regardless of personality.

Also 'would die for each other' is probably actually just suggesting that the players all know each other very well, ie have been together for a long time as a unit.

Where do you find the team morale report that say's they would die for each other?

I've never seen that on the club 'confidence' screen, i've click on my assitants profile but all i can do is offer him a new contract or sack him.

How do i go about getting this report?

Assistant Manager > Team talk reports

Cole and Teddy would not die for anybody on the pitch. It should be used for players like Roy Keane etc!

Well I doubt any footballer would be willing to die for anyone or any team. But as the origonal statement was about the whole team, it was obviously used quite loosely, so I was just giving another, quite loose example of what they meant :thup:

It's not a paradox, the two statements concern different aspects of the game. I'm pretty sure the first statement, "would die for each other", regards team gelling, how well the team works together on the pitch (why this fairly important information is only found on the team talk feedback screen, though, of all places, is beyond me). This affects how well the players communicate and play as a team during matches. This improves over time if you stick to the same group of players. The second statement, lack of harmony, means that there is unhappiness or trouble among the players off the pitch. This affects morale. It can often be due to just one player being unhappy for some reason and unsettling the others.

It's not a paradox, the two statements concern different aspects of the game. I'm pretty sure the first statement, "would die for each other", regards team gelling, how well the team works together on the pitch (why this fairly important information is only found on the team talk feedback screen, though, of all places, is beyond me). The second statement, lack of harmony, means that there is trouble among the players off the pitch. This can often be due to just one unhappy player unsettling the others.

I find it very hard to believe that there can be lack of harmony between a group of people when they're willing to die for each other but ok...

I find it very hard to believe that there can be lack of harmony between a group of people when they're willing to die for each other but ok...

The actual wording isn't really important, just what is meant in gameplay terms. If you just read the first one as indicating "high level of team gelling", and the second one as "unhappy player causing morale problems", they aren't mutually exclusive at all.

Actually, there's a far easier way to reconcile the reports:

In the case of the first report, it's coming from the Ass Man. Presumably, it depends upon the Ass Man being plugged into the team in a way that they will honestly communicate with him how they feel. This may not be true. The players may view him as nothing more than a spy from the manager, and will act as if all is hunky-dory to avoid being labled a troublemaker.

The second report is a statement from a specific player to the press. Here, he's simply providing a personal opinion. Perhaps he sees things differently from most everyone else on the team. Perhaps he's lying about the reason he is becoming disenchanted, because he knows he'll be pilloried if he says the real reason is that he wants to sign at Barça for more money. Perhaps he's simply being a bit of a jerk for reasons unknown.

So it's not inconceivable that these two disparate reports of team morale could be generated on the same day. Indeed, it's often the case that management views the situation amongst workers quite differently from how the workers view it. ;)

The actual wording isn't really important, just what is meant in gameplay terms. If you just read the first one as indicating "high level of team gelling", and the second one as "unhappy player causing morale problems", they aren't mutually exclusive at all.

Except that the first is a specific report on team morale, not team "gelling." ;)

Except that the first is a specific report on team morale, not team "gelling." ;)

Look, I'll explain what I'm saying. Here's what this screen looks like on my game at the moment:

screen0g.png

Firstly, that second sentence, "a good level of understanding" doesn't seem to relate to morale. It does, however, seem to relate to players understanding each other in a match sense. Secondly, the messages on that particular line seem to always become more positive in tone as a team with mostly the same players in it play together over longer periods of time. I therefore assume that it relates to gelling. I may be wrong, but it seems to fit if you look at the different messages appearing here as a sliding scale of gelled-ness. If so, it's a very useful indicator of how well your players understand each other.

However, it doesn't make much sense that it's located under "Team Talk Feedback", as it has nothing to do with team talks, or under the heading "Team Morale", as I don't think it relates to morale.

If this is correct, it would be better if it appeared under "Team Report", under a heading of "Team Understanding" or somesuch.

Archived