Nurturing a young potential star?

Currently managing Newcastle in my second season, won the Championship in the first season and kept most of the same squad.

I have a 16 year old striker called David Dunbar who has the description: "Being dubbed the new Michael Owen".

His stats however, do not appear too great but he has played 2 premiership games vs Stoke and vs Wigan and scored in both games but I want him to reach his full potential, so what have other people done when they've had a potential future star to "groom"?

Should I keep giving him Premiership experience, stick him in the reserves, back in the Under 21's or farm him out on loan somewhere...?

:)

If he is going to play when he's out on loan thats a decent bet. However you can't do this until he's 17.

The way I see it is if he is going to keep scoring then why would you send him out on loan or stick him in the reserves? What more can the poor lad do!??

What i do, with ALL my youngsters, is personalise their training. Which means making a new schedule, naming it after that player, and adjusting the bars so that the attributes they are lacking will improve. On top of this i will find a good tutor, sometimes bringing in experienced veterans on free transfer to guide them along. Also use them in league cup / early rounds of fa cup / any easy game you expect to win.

Currently in process of doing this with a 14 year old swedish striker i have, set to be good!

What i do, with ALL my youngsters, is personalise their training. Which means making a new schedule, naming it after that player, and adjusting the bars so that the attributes they are lacking will improve. On top of this i will find a good tutor, sometimes bringing in experienced veterans on free transfer to guide them along. Also use them in league cup / early rounds of fa cup / any easy game you expect to win.

Currently in process of doing this with a 14 year old swedish striker i have, set to be good!

Wow 14... Could you post a screenie, please? :)

Same for OP, really want to see 16yo that scored in 2 consecutive PL games ;) Not that's it's very rare, just requires good attributes really

The physical attributes never delelop as much as the rest. Plus intensive aerobic and strength training is a very bad idea. Players get very tired and usually start complain about their training schedule. I would go with high.

But overall I think he's evolving pretty well.

- Definitely ask for one of the more experienced players in the squad to tutor him.

- If he is good enough to make the bench or start for your team, keep him in your squad. If he wont get regular appearances as a sub or player, your best off giving him a season in the championship with one of the stronger teams. This will help him develop his skills for next season where he will try to break into your first team.

- Possibly personalised training scheduals, although im not sure, its up to you really, either make a schedule that will train up his weaknesses and help him grow, or keep him in the teams training then he will learn from the other players as well as the training. Personally i dont make personalised schedules, but you could? what every you think is best :)

Herhsie I'm surprised that Lawson's body hasn't broken down yet :)

You should tone it down a bit.

Game time and tutoring is what increases a youngsters CA. Training only helps determine where the points will be added attribute-wise.

I took over Swansea City in the Championship as they were in the relegation zone. I have had great success so far, in that I am up to 8th in the League now, though I am going through a difficult patch now, with 7 losses in 10 games!

My aim is to take Swansea into the PL with good young players, so I have sold a lot of my squad in the January transfer market, and bought in a lot of young talented players for cheap who should be good in the future. The thing is the best players I have a CA of around 110, whilst these new young players have potential ability of around 160/70, but are currently only around the 70-90 mark so have a LOT of improving to do. My coaches weren't great, and in 3/4 months I have yet to notice these new players with high PA's improve - so I've got rid of my backroom staff, and bought in coaches with high PA's, but again, they are only in their 30's, and their current stat is around 90-100.

My question is will these improve over time? Is there anything I should be doing to help the coaches improve their stats? Also how do I tutor my young players with older more experienced players? I have never seen that option. And do they have to be good older players? As my quad is VERY young, and very few older players, and those that are in my squad are average at best.

Many thanks in advance

Finally managed to get some screen shots of David Dunbar, a bit further on in the season but he now has a dedicated training schedule and has been used as an substitute 90% of the time only starting against the smaller teams in the league and when there have been injuries and suspensions. His stats don't look great, but he is performing excellently despite his age and stat figures:

Screenshot2010-09-08at165947.png

Archived