Trialists

How does it work?

If I have a trialist but he can't play in official matches how can I assess him if I don't have a reserve team?

If he is young enough to play a few games in the U21's will I get a report at the end of his trial or do I have to scout him while he is at the club?

When he is at the club you can go to the report screen and a coach will give you an opinion just like you can for any other player in the squad.

If you want to see them play for yourself you aare best off bringing them in during the pre-season and playing them in friendlies

Sarcasm? I find trials to be completely useless, since you can't judge a player's ability based on just two or three matches.

Getting a player on trial allows you to get them into your squad and have a good look at all of their stats. You could always arrange some inter squad games to put them through their paces if you wanted to be that indepth.

I norrmally get them to play a reserve game etc. but normally make a judgement when they first join me on trial. If I dont rate him on the 1st day I am unlikely to change my mind unless the player scores a hattrick :)

Getting a player on trial allows you to get them into your squad and have a good look at all of their stats. You could always arrange some inter squad games to put them through their paces if you wanted to be that indepth.

I norrmally get them to play a reserve game etc. but normally make a judgement when they first join me on trial. If I dont rate him on the 1st day I am unlikely to change my mind unless the player scores a hattrick :)

Hat trick...wow that would be something as I'm looking to trial a GK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i'm not mistaken trialists can play in a league match in real life can't they??

I have seen it on Soccer Saturday when 'A Trialist' scores, that's what they put the name as because he is not yet signed....

In Scotland they can, I don't think they can in England though.

Sarcasm? I find trials to be completely useless, since you can't judge a player's ability based on just two or three matches.

I'm a big fan of trials, since the coach reports seem to be fairly consistent unlike the scout reports which can change after repeated scouting. Even without playing a match a trial will give me a good idea about whether that player could fit in within my squad.

Also, they sometimes ask for lower wages if you offer them a contract while they are on trial at the club.

I'm a big fan of trials, since the coach reports seem to be fairly consistent unlike the scout reports which can change after repeated scouting. Even without playing a match a trial will give me a good idea about whether that player could fit in within my squad.

Also, they sometimes ask for lower wages if you offer them a contract while they are on trial at the club.

I'm another fan of trials. I brought a couple in on trial and from the scout reports they wouldn't be worth the risk, not as good as what I already had bla bla bla. But despite that I went ahead and arranged a couple of games for them and watched them in 3D so I could make my own assessment - one of them was outstanding! He's now a first team regluar and has scored 17 goals in his first 21 games. :)

How does it work?

If I have a trialist but he can't play in official matches how can I assess him if I don't have a reserve team?

If he is young enough to play a few games in the U21's will I get a report at the end of his trial or do I have to scout him while he is at the club?

Apologies if I am stating the obvious but the Ass Mans report, in conjuntion with the "buyers report" (more on that later!) give a pretty accurate guide, more accurate than a "few" friendlies will. Arranging friendlies for this purpose is a good idea though especially as they can be moneyspinners at lower levels (I try to have a full team of trialists at any one time (not always practical, mind), trawling through the "out of contract" players - I dont want to miss any cheap gems!. Now, back to the "buyers report", if you offer to trial a player also click on "offer contract", within this screen there will be a view on how good this player is in relation to your squad.

I'm another fan of trials. I brought a couple in on trial and from the scout reports they wouldn't be worth the risk, not as good as what I already had bla bla bla. But despite that I went ahead and arranged a couple of games for them and watched them in 3D so I could make my own assessment - one of them was outstanding! He's now a first team regluar and has scored 17 goals in his first 21 games. :)

This is the thing, I generally trust a combination of scouting reports, current ability "star" ratings, Ass Man reports and the "1st XI" report. However, sometimes a player that is not favoured in any report can be a gem. A fair degree of intuition is required, and if you take a chance you could get lumbered with an "I told you so" stiff, but my current method of assessing is that if a player does not look good enough by player profile/stats, and if all reports say he is not good enough, needs to adapt to fit in and all the other negatives, then they can be considered not good enough/not worth the risk. EVERY other player in the game not in this category is a potential "good" signing - but not all "potential" comes to fruition!.

If he is good enough he will get picked by the Assistant

On that basis if I get 2 similar GK's in on trial can I take it that whoever the Ass Man picks for the reserve matches will be the better of the 2....or will he give them a half each?

I like taking players on trial. :)

David Beckham was available on a free. I know, he's past it (at 37), etc... etc... but he sells merchandise! Can't grumble at that, even if I'll only play him occasionally.

Anyway, I offered him a contract, he wanted 26k per week. I took him on trial then offered him a contract, he wanted only 5.5k per week. Trials can save you money and the fashionista himself is well worth a punt for that. :D

Archived