No good Re-gens for 3 seasons...

At Man Utd I have my training facilities and youth facilities maxed out. But I havn't had any good re-gens come through for 3 years. In fact, in the last 11 years, I've only really had one world class player come through my youth system.

Man Utd jokes aside, does anyone have an explanation for why this should be?

Your expectations are too high. How many world class players come through any teams academy every year? I'm in 2032, managing Man Utd, and I've had 2 players come through the youth system that were good enough for the first team, and that's probably about right.

Irl, in the last decade how many top class players have come through Utd's academy? Not many. Fletcher, O'Shea are good players. Welbeck and Cleverley have potential.

I think the regen situation in FM10 is the best it's been and quality regens do come through, maybe not quite at a decent balanced rate yet, but the game is improving all the time.

Well if world class regens were coming through every single year for every single club with good training facilities, then it just wouldn't be anywhere near realistic. Liverpool haven't had a fantastic player coming through in the last ten years, but in the nineties Fowler, Gerrard, Carragher and Owen all came through. It's just completely random, give it another few years though with those training facilities and some decent players will definitely come through.

All fair points. To clarify, I'm not expecting world class players every single season. But I have only been able to put one of My Man-Utd regens into my first team... the rest I have had to poach from elsewhere.

the reason I brought this up is because Southampton produce world class and Premiership class regens every year in my game. I have to constantly buy up their regens, if I can. I totally understand the point you are all making.. but my point is, "Why Southampton, and not me?" Perhaps I am expecting too much though.

The thing is, your playing as Man Utd. Like I do. You say you only have one regen that is in your first team but seriously how good would the regens have to be to get into Uniteds first team? They produce a lot of good players each season. They would walk into most premiership sides after a few years training but to get into Uniteds first team they have to be that little step higher i.e world class. Who was the last world class player from Uniteds youth setup that actually got into the first team? Im talking world class not just good enough like Fletcher. The last one's I can think of is Scholes/Beckham some 16 years ago.

We have seen the likes of Wes Brown, John O'shea and Darren Fletcher in recent years but even these could be considered more rotation players. World class players dont come along that often and when they do, think of all the big clubs in the world where they could pop up at. Even Uniteds youngsters now arent exactly from the academy. Players like the twins and Macheda. They was brought in from abroad well into their teens.

The thing is, your playing as Man Utd. Like I do. You say you only have one regen that is in your first team but seriously how good would the regens have to be to get into Uniteds first team? They produce a lot of good players each season. They would walk into most premiership sides after a few years training but to get into Uniteds first team they have to be that little step higher i.e world class. Who was the last world class player from Uniteds youth setup that actually got into the first team? Im talking world class not just good enough like Fletcher. The last one's I can think of is Scholes/Beckham some 16 years ago.

We have seen the likes of Wes Brown, John O'shea and Darren Fletcher in recent years but even these could be considered more rotation players. World class players dont come along that often and when they do, think of all the big clubs in the world where they could pop up at. Even Uniteds youngsters now arent exactly from the academy. Players like the twins and Macheda. They was brought in from abroad well into their teens.

I get what you are saying but I am not even producing rotation players, or players good enough to get signed by other Prem clubs, or most Championship clubs. I have just had one guy who was world class, and about 100 guys who are pathetically awful, and have left the club and retired because nobody wants them.

Basically, the thing I don't understand, is that this is no longer real life anymore, I have upgraded my facilities to the very maximum.. so shouldnt the game now be treating me as an elite base for youngsters, like Ajax and Barcelona... and if not on their level... then at least better than 1 good player every 11 years...

It's sae to say that Man Utd produce more than 1 good player per decade.. but this isnt represented in my game. Southampton on the other hand...

It must just be luck of the draw then tbh. I dont get great players but every now and again I'll get a couple that could do a job if need be like rotation players. I mainly use my youth to sell though and get youth from elsewhere if they are better.

im at ajax in june 2015 and not seen any players go into my youth team yet that have had any sort of potential to reach the 1st team. i constantly poach young players from other clubs if only so i can still follow the home grown rule in europe

Don't most clubs poach young talent anyway?

Utd's team was a fluke, it may never happen again. But they bought a young Pique, Rooney, Ronaldo etc even Nani and Anderson could make it big and they were bought. What is the chance of young lads living in Manchester that are going to be better than anyone else, every city will have good players, so don't expect them to all be in one city. The FA introduced a rule a year or two ago, that states clubs can only contract youth players with a certain radius, so if this is built into the game, then regens will be spread more evenly and will have to be bought. Becks, Giggs and Fletcher would nolonger be eligable to be contracted as kids because they were not in the catchment area.

Sounds like pure luck of the draw tbh mate, you'll just have t live with it. I'm into 2017 on my Newcastle save and so far the best regens to come though the academy have become decent Champo players, and I have one for whom I have high hopes but I ultimately think won't make the grade.

Utd's team was a fluke, it may never happen again. But they bought a young Pique, Rooney, Ronaldo etc even Nani and Anderson could make it big and they were bought. What is the chance of young lads living in Manchester that are going to be better than anyone else, every city will have good players, so don't expect them to all be in one city. The FA introduced a rule a year or two ago, that states clubs can only contract youth players with a certain radius, so if this is built into the game, then regens will be spread more evenly and will have to be bought. Becks, Giggs and Fletcher would nolonger be eligable to be contracted as kids because they were not in the catchment area.

As far as I was aware, the catchment area rule wasnt being applied to the clubs main academies, it was being applied to any other centres of excellence the clubs wish to have.. unless I have got it wrong?

Manchester United's academy has produced more current Football League and Premier League players than any other club's iirc. Their list of academy graduates is ridiculous- everybody remembers Brown, Fletcher, Evans and the golden generation, but still in the Premier League, there's Fraizer Campbell, Dave Jones, SEB, Phil Bardsley (sp, Sunderland right back). And that ruledoesn't apply to talent living in other countries, though I don't know if it applies to other home nations.

Final point- Greater Manchester (84) has produced more England internationals than all other counties, bar Greater London (179), and with Merseyside (64), Lancashire (77), South Yorkshire (68), Staffordshire (66) and Derbyshire (36) all easily within the 90 minute rule (I bet with the smaller local counties and a healthy disregard for the speed limit you could add another 120 or so), so their talent pool is hardly small.

Manchester United's academy has produced more current Football League and Premier League players than any other club's iirc. Their list of academy graduates is ridiculous- everybody remembers Brown, Fletcher, Evans and the golden generation, but still in the Premier League, there's Fraizer Campbell, Dave Jones, SEB, Phil Bardsley (sp, Sunderland right back). And that ruledoesn't apply to talent living in other countries, though I don't know if it applies to other home nations.

Final point- Greater Manchester (84) has produced more England internationals than all other counties, bar Greater London (179), and with Merseyside (64), Lancashire (77), South Yorkshire (68), Staffordshire (66) and Derbyshire (36) all easily within the 90 minute rule (I bet with the smaller local counties and a healthy disregard for the speed limit you could add another 120 or so), so their talent pool is hardly small.

Don't have to get so technical lol

I am a Utd fan, I am aware of the graduates, but I think the OP was talking about top class players, not average/okay premier league players. And Manchester is one of the largest cities with a major football club, so one would expect that they would produce more than most clubs, as you would expect London to have had the most graduates because it's population is over seven times larger than any other city in England. Yes their training is second to none, but how many kids fail and how prepared are parents willing to travel to let their son train and play for a club for free or on pennies, knowing they might not make it?

I'm in 2022 with Man Utd and i have had around 10 players come through my system who play either in the Prem or Serie A. 3 of them i use in my squad but are more for back up. The rest are playing for bottom half prem teams and wouldn't get in my starting 11.

I'm in 2022 with Man Utd and i have had around 10 players come through my system who play either in the Prem or Serie A. 3 of them i use in my squad but are more for back up. The rest are playing for bottom half prem teams and wouldn't get in my starting 11.

My point precisely :)

I am in 2020. I have had 1 player come through who plays in the Prem. I have had 0 players come through that play anywhere else, in any division. They have all been pants.

I tend to agree with the OP. My long term save I have only ever had 5 players even worth giving a full time contract to. That's from Blue square North to the prem. In fact its only in the last two seasons that I got anyone who I thought could be considered realistic options for the 1st team after a lot of development. While I will sign maybe 10 a season from low level Spanish/Italian/German/French/English clubs that could be considered as viable. I am not looking for Pele......but a Fletcher would be great now and then...Hell I would even take the odd Ameobi.

I got FMRTE this year to check out my youth teams, I even took over playing as the youth team to help develop those with most potential. In the last 12 seasons (give or take a few) as my U18s I have never lost a match, but only because of the players I bring in. In the mean time my u18s are more then often expected to loose in the pre-match comments and my youth products are often worse then most in a division lower. Team like Everton, Sporting, Wolves seam to have a revolving door or high potential players.

Archived