Please Please Please make an Android Version

• 2 weeks later...

yes please!!!!

just set a minimum spec, rather than trying to build for all versions, with dual core phones a reality and android growing at a faster pace than iOS it would be foolish NOT to make an android version. The demand is there and you cant go wrong, so show android some love please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• SI Staff
I do believe that if we don't have an android version.. someone will regret for a while( one year )... android is future my friends... the numbers talk by themselves...

As has been stated previously I'd love to do a version for numerous other platforms including the Android - however at present I simply don't have time to do so and cloning technology isn't at a level where its practical ... as such nothing concrete has been decided in this regard, sorry.

• 3 weeks later...
It isn't as easy as just converting it, as Andriod's have so many different dimensions it would require loads of different UIs.
yes please!!!!

just set a minimum spec, rather than trying to build for all versions, with dual core phones a reality and android growing at a faster pace than iOS it would be foolish NOT to make an android version. The demand is there and you cant go wrong, so show android some love please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would imagine the main difference is the fact that iOS apps are codded in Objective C and Android in Java. As Marc has stated, he doesn't have time to do both. I'm quite surprised he finds the time to do an iOS version to be honest. In fact if I recall correctly, it started as a personal project and went from there.

• 8 months later...
  • SI Staff

Please don't turn this into a Droid vs iPhone thread chaps - its valid for people to have a thread requesting a platform - I actually like the Android phones and have seriously considered getting one in the past ... lets leave this thread to people requesting the platform and leave fanboy arguments elsewhere pls.

• SI Staff
How do you deal with pc fragmentation? That is far more extreme.

Its a totally different operating system involved to iOS - on PC there is a lot more memory available (by a large factor) and there is also a lot more processing power available meaning more processing time can be done which is dedicated to ensuring that things stay sane and safe and its implementation is likely far more processor intensive than on the more limited iOS platforms (simply because it can be).

The iOS memory implementation as far as I can surmise is fairly 'basic' in implementation (as it is on nearly all handheld platforms) - that is it doesn't handle fragmentation particularly well, but in most cases doesn't have to because most apps are limited in memory usage and run-time, hence the operating system dumps the entire app memory at the end of the run and thats enough to keep the phone stable in the main.

FMHi is a very intensive application in terms of a mobile phone AND people tend to run it for very long periods of time, heck I've run it for weeks at a time on my iPhone4 personally ... as such its very prone to memory fragmentation. We try and minimise this by pre-allocating as much memory as possible within the game and then running our own 'memory management' system over the top of things where practical to minimise things (our system has zero fragmentation due to how its been implemented).

Unfortunately some things within the game can't use this because they rely upon third-party libraries, notably those from Apple themselves - hence over time slowly the memory will fragment somewhat (this is most noticeable if you use the Map functionality in the stadium finder as that seems particularly prone to this side of things).

So it's not just a matter of using relative positioning (which is how Android views are dealt with by default) then I guess, heh.

Anyway; to stop myself from sounding like too much of a fool I did a tiny amount of research into memory fragmentation and it sounds like it sucks, heh. But it also begs me to ask: how much memory does fmh need! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently trying to decide whether to invest in an asus transformer (android 3.0 tablet) or a new laptop. Ability to play FM seems to be a large factor in my decision. Any plans afoot to implement FM on Android? Ipad is not an option for me due to their anti-open-source approach to the world...

I'm currently trying to decide whether to invest in an asus transformer (android 3.0 tablet) or a new laptop. Ability to play FM seems to be a large factor in my decision. Any plans afoot to implement FM on Android? Ipad is not an option for me due to their anti-open-source approach to the world...
At the moment there are no concrete plans to make an Android version of the game - sorry.

theres you answer from the man himself

When you blit stuff onto a view then by default your blitting onto a 320x480 display, this then gets times-ed out to the actual screensize of your phone. This means that the biggest problem you need to deal with is different phones having vastly different aspect ratios. For these either just disable them working or create another gui. The biggest trouble with regards to fragmentaton you'll find is the power, but given it runs fine on my iPod 2nd gen then that probably won't be a major issue either. (Ofc, my phone is dual-core so that won't affect me :D). I'm hoping to release an app into the market this weekend/next week so I'm able to speak more confidently than before now I have more experience.

While I'd like to see an Android version of FMH I do wonder how fast it would run. I have a Galaxy Tab and an iPad 2 and the Tab is like watching paint dry in comparison, even though they have similar processing specs on paper.

While I'd like to see an Android version of FMH I do wonder how fast it would run. I have a Galaxy Tab and an iPad 2 and the Tab is like watching paint dry in comparison, even though they have similar processing specs on paper.

FYI Asus Transformer is much nippier, selling out at incredible speeds, and may be able to rival the iPad2.

Has anybody in the community tried to run the full FM2011 on a windows tablet?

As has been stated previously I'd love to do a version for numerous other platforms including the Android - however at present I simply don't have time to do so and cloning technology isn't at a level where its practical ... as such nothing concrete has been decided in this regard, sorry.

well i dont understand why you will make an ios game and no android, android is the #1 platform in the world!, yes android is #1 not ios, apple do have good rep, but that is all android is the biggest, not in a year not tommorow now!

prof:

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/in-us-smartphones-now-majority-of-new-cellphone-purchases/

http://www.gofacebing.com/master-the-android-smartphone-sales-in-6-countries

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2092967/android-winning-worldwide-race

3 articals from the last days, android is 35.1%and ios is 27%

so please hear the call hear us the managers of the world, we need an android app, if not of 2011 then tell us you will have it by the 2012 game, please.

well i dont understand why you will make an ios game and no android, android is the #1 platform in the world!, yes android is #1 not ios, apple do have good rep, but that is all android is the biggest, not in a year not tommorow now!

prof:

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/in-us-smartphones-now-majority-of-new-cellphone-purchases/

http://www.gofacebing.com/master-the-android-smartphone-sales-in-6-countries

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2092967/android-winning-worldwide-race

3 articals from the last days, android is 35.1%and ios is 27%

so please hear the call hear us the managers of the world, we need an android app, if not of 2011 then tell us you will have it by the 2012 game, please.

Have you read what Marc/Miles/Other SI people said in the other thread? It isn't about popularity and even if it were the iOS gets more app downloads than the Android.

Have you read what Marc/Miles/Other SI people said in the other thread? It isn't about popularity and even if it were the iOS gets more app downloads than the Android.

no that is the apple machine talking, it is not real!, much more android apps, have you read what i put on?

wake up and smell the rutten apple, android is on 7 manufectures!, not 1, it is open ended!, and the biggist one.

no that is the apple machine talking, it is not real!, much more android apps, have you read what i put on?

wake up and smell the apple ****, android is on 7 manufectures!, not 1, it is open ended!, and the biggist one.

That is the problem, it is 7 different companies making 7 different versions of the software and using different specs, Apple has 2 screen specs (iPad and iPhone/iTouch) not hundreds that will have to be taylor edited for it to even work due to the manner of the game not being a simple 3D scale down and then you have to look into the processing power as there will be several different ones and the Android is only as strong as the weakest one so you could own the best model but it still not be used fully as FMH must accomodate for the lowest spec which may be half of the iOS'. Then I could go on about the FMH team having 2 games between 2 guys so taking on the Android too would be impossible at this time and also C++ what it is coded in (PSP and iOS) cannot be done for Android as it is Java so the game will need to be rebuilt which may take a year at least.

As you can see it isn't about popularity as stated but about technical difficulties mixed with the financial aspect which will be required - hiring more guys to code and test the game, buying various versions of each handset then actually building a totally new game and that is coupled with legal things such as player licenses and such.

Android is many more than 7 manufacturers. They rarely edit the Kernel if ever. They are almost exclusively more powerful than the iPod Touches. (Mine is more powerful than my laptop.) The CY coordinates are sorted by android using a coefficient by default so that isn't a concern. The vast majority of configurations can be simulated in emulator.

Next problem.

• SI Staff
Android is many more than 7 manufacturers. They rarely edit the Kernel if ever. They are almost exclusively more powerful than the iPod Touches. (Mine is more powerful than my laptop.) The CY coordinates are sorted by android using a coefficient by default so that isn't a concern. The vast majority of configurations can be simulated in emulator.

Next problem.

Newer Android phones are very nice, I've considered getting one myself.

I've investigated development a little upon them and hope that one day we can support them HOWEVER fragmentation is an issue which should be taken seriously each handset has different memory available some have local storage a few (esp. older handsets) rely purely on SIM cards being present for any substantial storage, there are a myriad of different display resolutions - on top of this there are quite a few versions and slight differences in builds of the OS and suchlike depending on the manufacturer/handset .... as such no testing within an emulator would not be sufficient for my liking I'm afraid.

When we make a game I want to ensure that as far as possible everyone who purchases it can do so in the assurance that it will work reliably on their device, not something which can be discovered reliably using an emulator - as such there are real complications and costs involved in creating a game on the Android platform.

Newer Android phones are very nice, I've considered getting one myself.

I've investigated development a little upon them and hope that one day we can support them HOWEVER fragmentation is an issue which should be taken seriously each handset has different memory available some have local storage a few (esp. older handsets) rely purely on SIM cards being present for any substantial storage, there are a myriad of different display resolutions - on top of this there are quite a few versions and slight differences in builds of the OS and suchlike depending on the manufacturer/handset .... as such no testing within an emulator would not be sufficient for my liking I'm afraid.

When we make a game I want to ensure that as far as possible everyone who purchases it can do so in the assurance that it will work reliably on their device, not something which can be discovered reliably using an emulator - as such there are real complications and costs involved in creating a game on the Android platform.

poor excuse, come on sigames fight against darth jobs and his iVil empire

• SI Staff
poor excuse, come on sigames fight against darth jobs and his iVil empire

You forget my user title used to be 'Darth Vaughan' a few years back - as such I need to remind you that the Imperial Empire is not evil, its just that the terrorist Alliance scum have better PR ;)

I've logged here after a year or so break from FM to check handheld versions. It was suprise there is IOS version, and it was no suprise that Android version is absent :) Yes, I would consider to buy Android version if available. Enough for me would be CM3 on Android hehe, and some day XP emulator will allow this, I'm sure.

So, +1 for Android port!

Firstly, I'd like to add that I would love an Android version. I've seen a guy playing it on an iPad in Argentinian airport and I realized that I need it also! :)

But recently I bought an Android tablet, being an Android website owner I could not have done different way. But the miss I feel of FM is something I can't explain. :/

I've read all the threads about Android and understand that the fragmentation seems a tough issue. Develop an App to the matrix of different devices types, screens, memory and Android version would be really insane. But what the developers usually do is to ship (a) version(s) to the Android devices they are sure about the compatibility first (or only). It's not rare the existence of Apps for only tablets, for instance.

You can choose before publishing an App who will be able to buy/download it that, based on country, carrier, Android version, Screen size and Density, Open GL/ES Version, hardware/software features (such as memory and processor power), DEVICES and etc. Angry Birds did exactly this, shipping first for the top devices and after some time creating adaptations for the small/weak ones. For the FM, I guess the small/weak ones can't receive it anyway.

I mean, let's pretend the SI decide to deliver an Android platform version. You don't need to worry about exactly know about all the processor speeds, memory and Android version. Picking 1 GHz, 512 MB of Ram, Android 2.3, hdpi and xhdpi screens is enough to make a huge number of Football Manager fans happy on Android! Including me, of course :) .

Google spoke about that on this year's Google IO. See the next 5 minutes of this vídeo here to confirm:

There are some good stuff about calling native C/C++ libraries or code also that could help, but I'm not sure.

Archived