Comupter shuts off when I launch FM... HELP!!

Please someone help! When I load up FM it gets to the SEGA logo screen, then my computer shuts off, no shot down nothing and I have to switch off/on the power at the wall before my computer will start up again.

I did have the XML parsing error beforehand which I fixed through Windows update, but otherwise I am at a loss as to what to do.

Please help,

Brad

i dunno why though thats the thing. i am running a phenom 2 x3, 2gb ddr3 ram, radeon 4850 and this happens. i run the game on my laptop (turion x2, 4gb ddr2, radeon 3200) without any issues at all. i cant understand while my pc cant run it when its miles better than my laptop. from what i can make out it seems to be down to an overheating problem, but surely that cant be the case cuz it my CPU was overheating i wouldnt be able to write this post as we speak!

if anyone has any other ideas i would be most grateful!

It shouldn't be overheating just on booting FM. He's not even getting passed the splash screen. Unless his system is totally clogged it sounds more like a software problem. Do what I suggested above and see what happens. Then we can move on to other things.

As you have said, your pc is better than your laptop so why is this happening. I would check your RAM is situated correctly and maybe need a better fan, playing games takes more work for a pc than browsing the net.

could well be the fan. its the crappy genetic heatsink/fan which came with the cpu.

my system is not full of dust since its brand new. ram is not a problem as it checks out fine in performance tests and other games (fable, jade empire) work fine.

im gonna see if i can play around with the cpu voltages in the bios and try too underclock, or at least regulate it, and see if this has any effect cuz at the moment all the settings are switched to auto.

...... bloody computers!

no mate. dunno whats wrong. doing my head in. im starting to get withdrawal symptoms. might see if i can find FM09 and see if that has any issues cuz all my other games work. did install FM06 with no probs, granted it is a 'lighter' version of the game. although it was nice to see Rooney and Van Nistelrooij up front again... great days :)

• Administrators

Do a manual uninstall then reinstall and see if that makes any difference. Details on how to do so can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/177053-Football-Manager-2010-FAQ-and-Online-Manual?p=4455346&viewfull=1#post4455346

Let me know how you get on, however as people have said, the most likely cause of a system restarting when running the game is a hardware issue.

• Administrators

Yeah definitely sounds like a hardware issue then, have you tried clearing out your fans? Have you tried running any other system intensive games recently? Also have made sure windows and all your drivers are up to date?

fans are clean, its a new computer, first start up was yesterday. im pretty sure all the drivers i need are in there. did play a few other games, half life 2, black and white 2, fable all with the same problem. no blue screens, no shutdown procedure, the computer just shuts off completely. just done a 20 minute stress test on my cpu with amd overdrive, but no probs there and the max temp was 39.5*C which leaves me to think it could be the ram. im about do download prime95 to see if that throws up and probs since amd software only tests the cpu.... i'll keep you posted.

could well be, but im trawling the net, and could be a load of things.... psu, ram, audio driver conflicts.... i dunno. the psu is one which was supplied with the case atrix 520w. i do have a little 400w at home i could swap out but i dunno if it has all the connectors for my mobo and gpu. i'll keep going through the solutions i can find on the net, then swap out the psu when i next get home and see if that is the case.

i did manage to play fable for about 10 mins before it shut off. black and white shutdown whilst loading the tutorial, half life managed to get to the bit where i wake up on the train (cant remember the mission name) and FM doesnt even get to the splash screen.

It seems, after a little research, that 41 Kernal-Power seems to pop up with people who have audio drivers conflicting with each other.

Yeah I saw that thread also and tried the methods disabling the drivers but to no avail. Also tried the sleep/hibernation disable, disabling driver signing so I could install ASUS GamerOSD properly, ran diag tools on all my components... and would still happen. Have just done a clean install of Win7. Not put any motherboard drivers or anything, just ran Windows Update. Strange thing, when I installed the OS yesterday and ran the performance tool, it gave my GPU a score of 5.9. After todays install, the score is no 7.3.

God I hate Microsoft.

Anyways, I'm currently re'downloading FM10 and I'll let you know how it all goes!

Failing that I will have to get a new PSU.

Fingers crossed!

Change the voltage on the RAM... CHANGE THE BLOODY VOLTAGE!! Thats all I had to do!!

The first thing I did actually think of when this first happened, I ignored and it turned out to be the solution! MUPPET!

Clean installs didnt work, so I thought, what the hell, my absolute last option before swapping the PSU, take the RAM voltage and clock speed of AUTO. Fired it up, got to the menu screen... honestly I creamed in my pants!

I have to apologise to you guys for my lack of dilligence, but I must thank you for your effort in helping me.

Cheers lads!

Happy FMing!

Change the voltage on the RAM... CHANGE THE BLOODY VOLTAGE!! Thats all I had to do!!

The first thing I did actually think of when this first happened, I ignored and it turned out to be the solution! MUPPET!

Clean installs didnt work, so I thought, what the hell, my absolute last option before swapping the PSU, take the RAM voltage and clock speed of AUTO. Fired it up, got to the menu screen... honestly I creamed in my pants!

I have to apologise to you guys for my lack of dilligence, but I must thank you for your effort in helping me.

Cheers lads!

Happy FMing!

Ah nah just working your way around what could be causing it and eliminating each until you find the solution :D

Cheers lads!

Happy FMing!

I was about to suggest running Memtest. Sounded like RAM to me - I had the same issue when I tried to play Dragon Age: Origins where the PC would just power down mid-game (Yet I could marathon Wow/Civ4/ FM2010 etc for 5hours no problem). Turned out that the motherboard I have has issues with its voltage. Flashing the BIOS rather than manually changing voltage worked for me as it corrected the issue.

Archived