'Smarter' media

I have become quite annoyed with the FM2010 media, I do not sign anyone, apart from on free transfers on one game, a game where I am the most successful team I might add.

The media link me with players that cost money, players that are not good enough to even make my reserve team bench! If the game could look at your transfer history and your current players ability before linking you to lesser players it would add to the realism of the games media in my opinion. At the moment I think the games press is awful, they always ask the same questions and they get everything wrong (apart from match odds).

Recommending terrible players, yeah thats a bit odd.

Recommending players in general, thats the press for you.

Also if your the most successful club in your save, they are gna link you to the highest profile players, who will cost loads of money. This is just like the real media, they will link you to the death with random players... doesn't mean theres and truth in it ;)

Clubs get linked with all manner of players. Is there often any truth in them? probably not but it still happens! I think transfer rumours arent too bad in FM10.

I certainly cant say it irritates me - maybe it could be improved upon, but hopefully FM11 will sort that out for us!

Clubs get linked with all manner of players. Is there often any truth in them? probably not but it still happens! I think transfer rumours arent too bad in FM10.

I certainly cant say it irritates me - maybe it could be improved upon, but hopefully FM11 will sort that out for us!

it does irritate me a bit. I would rather that the rumors would refer to at least player you have scouted or looked at...not players I have never even heard of. lol

I know on FM09 I had just started a game with Salisbury (Conference Premier) and I was linked with Darren Pratley(?) from Swansea. Not only was he too good to be interested in playing for me but he was also valued at about £ 250,000 and my transfer budget was nil. Was this improved for FM10?

I think it was, I certainly dont remember being linked with too many players that were way 'out of my league'.

Wasnt transfer rumours launched in FM09? - I would have thought they would have resolved issues like this in FM10. After all the major improvement from FM09 to FM10 was the removal of a large amount of the issues that blighted FM09.

IRL the media only guess at budgets and transfers values and obviously don't know who each player is willing to play for. There are shocks every season, so I think if it was really accurate it wouldn't mimic real life.

Pretty much this. They go off what they know......as little or as much as that is.....they make their guesses, and go on from there.

I actually have to thank the media in my game... they linked me to a guy I never heard of, found out he's an awesome player and cheap. So I did grab him, only bad part is I wasn't planning to add another an now my squad is too big. :/

think this has actually happened in real life. I seem to remember Sam Allardyce (or maybe it was Mark Hughes) a few years ago commenting on a transfer link about how he'd never heard of the player, but he would have to check him out. then he signed him a few weeks later...

Well, look at who Manchester United were "reported" to be interested in signing over the summer. They ended up signing a Brazilian that very few have heard of. :)

Bebe is Portuguese.

Hernandez is Mexican.

Who are you saying is a Brazilian signing of Man U?

I can't remember any other signings Man U had in.

Supposedly he was offered around on a free 6 months earliar by his former club. I am interested to see hwo he does.

Didnt he used to play at the homeless worldcup? Maybe this shoudl be built into FM in the future!

I think he was offered out for around 150k according to his agent but no one wanted him at that time.

And some say he wasn't in the homeless world cup (but that source was wiki lol).

What really annoys me is when the media continue to link you with players even after you've repeatedly denied any interest in them. Once they even said I was deluded to declare interest in one of these players when in fact I had repeatedly told them I had no interest in him.

They also seem to think that every team should play 442. I know this is par for the course in England, but the press in other countries aren't so enamoured with an outdated formation. Despite playing 3-1-2-1-3 for eight and a half seasons, the media always link me with full backs and wingers.

What really annoys me is when the media continue to link you with players even after you've repeatedly denied any interest in them. Once they even said I was deluded to declare interest in one of these players when in fact I had repeatedly told them I had no interest in him.

This annoys me as well.. but the media is not something I'd say is high on the priority list of changing. They have almost no impact on the game, but there are things core to the game that need work.

Such as?

Various AI issues, and the injury system is weak. Those are my top 2 issues.

The media, regardless of what you think is or isn't an issue, has such a small impact on the game it's always going to have a low priority (or it -should- anyway). The reality is the whole media thing, interviews etc, is nothing but a little color added in.

Various AI issues, and the injury system is weak. Those are my top 2 issues.

The media, regardless of what you think is or isn't an issue, has such a small impact on the game it's always going to have a low priority (or it -should- anyway). The reality is the whole media thing, interviews etc, is nothing but a little color added in.

I wouldnt agree with that statement..... when managing one of the top clubs a press conference is called before and after virtually every game. These can get a little repetitive at the best of times without being linked to the sane player over and over.....

I wouldnt agree with that statement..... when managing one of the top clubs a press conference is called before and after virtually every game. These can get a little repetitive at the best of times without being linked to the sane player over and over.....

Yeah, so you have interviews before and after every match.. same thing happens for MLS teams, so it doesn't have to be a top team. But the point is what comes from all those press conferences? At most you get a little positive or negative response from players. Even if they were significant then it's always obvious which answers to give, and it will always be obvious to know what to say.

That is why the media is a minor aspect of the game, it's fluff and nothing more.

Yeah, so you have interviews before and after every match.. same thing happens for MLS teams, so it doesn't have to be a top team. But the point is what comes from all those press conferences? At most you get a little positive or negative response from players. Even if they were significant then it's always obvious which answers to give, and it will always be obvious to know what to say.

That is why the media is a minor aspect of the game, it's fluff and nothing more.

I fully understand your point of view, however with the sheer number of press conferences a manager will have to face every season (over 100 in theory) I would say they play a big role in the enjoyment if the game. Certainly one of the biggest gripes with the game is the generic and sometimes tedious nature of the questions. If something can be done to aleviate this I would be very pleased!

Archived