Coach quality long-term.

Anyone else finding it hard to find really good coaches in the long-term? Seems like there's just so few really good ones coming through and I have to pay the ones I have high amounts to hold onto them as teams try to poach them often.

Out of curiosity I even did a search using FMRTE just to see and it seemed like 5-star coaches didnt exist, and 4.5 ones were extremely rare, or non-existant for goalkeepers, 4 were common enough. So does it seem like the quality goes down? or am I just struck by randomness, because I'm sure there were better coaches earlier, just most of them got/worse or retired by now.

I must admit though, I do actually use FMRTE for staff searches all the time, I find the system a bit mystical if I dont, I mean, I know they need high motivation, level of discipline, and the stat itself, but it feels like sometimes they still arent as good.. so is determination weighted in too? it all feels pretty mystical I like being able to just put in a number of the coach quality I want and see what's available :p

Plus there's no buzz from finding good coaches I find, wheras can be for players using the ingame tools available.

Anyone else finding it hard to find really good coaches in the long-term? Seems like there's just so few really good ones coming through and I have to pay the ones I have high amounts to hold onto them as teams try to poach them often.

Out of curiosity I even did a search using FMRTE just to see and it seemed like 5-star coaches didnt exist, and 4.5 ones were extremely rare, or non-existant for goalkeepers, 4 were common enough. So does it seem like the quality goes down? or am I just struck by randomness, because I'm sure there were better coaches earlier, just most of them got/worse or retired by now.

I must admit though, I do actually use FMRTE for staff searches all the time, I find the system a bit mystical if I dont, I mean, I know they need high motivation, level of discipline, and the stat itself, but it feels like sometimes they still arent as good.. so is determination weighted in too? it all feels pretty mystical I like being able to just put in a number of the coach quality I want and see what's available :p

Plus there's no buzz from finding good coaches I find, wheras can be for players using the ingame tools available.

I'm in 2057 and I just signed llke 4 coaches who had just spawned and who I though were awesome. Most of them had 20 at at least 3 attributes.

Also you don't need to pay high amounts to your staff. Every time a team tries to poach one of my coaches, I offer them a new contract with the exact same wage they're earning and 99 per cent of the time, they accept it.

Oh, well I used to offer the same as they were wanting and they got poached all the time, bear in my mind I manage in scotland, it's not exactly a high-rep league and I did lose loads. Although now I'm worldwide reputation I suppose I dont need to worry about it as much maybe?.

Oh, well I used to offer the same as they were wanting and they got poached all the time, bear in my mind I manage in scotland, it's not exactly a high-rep league and I did lose loads. Although now I'm worldwide reputation I suppose I dont need to worry about it as much maybe?.

Well that explains a lot. Although I must say that If I don't offer them contracts they accept the other club's offer even thought they'll earn less then half of what they were earning in my club which is pretty damn stupid.

I've found exactly the same, my coaches are all 4.5 star, with 4 for the goalie coach. I was in the lower leagues at the start of the game so I never came across them, but are there a lot of 5 star coaches about at the start?

At the end of the day the real question is "Do you need 5* coaches?".

The answer for most people is no and even for the people that focus heavily on training the difference between a 5* & 3* coach is fairly minimal.

Coaches & training seems to be another area in FM that causes confusion. A 5* coach does not train a player faster than a 3* coach he simply is quicker at "rearranging" attributes when you use a non-balanced training program.

When it comes to training the most important thing is to make sure that the coaches workload is light.

I think I have 15 coaches IIRC, including youth and 1st team ones. Trying to keep coaching levels 4+ stars.

Currently Goalie, defense, forward and fitness are 4.5 stars, the rest is 4. 1 or 2 coaches for each training.

If I find a good 4/4.5 star coach I sign him anyway. Just in case someone will snatch one of my coaches.

There's absolutely no 4.5 or above goalkeeping coaches in my game though, and well, 5 star isn't "needed" but wouldn't it make sense that there were actually at least 1 or 2 per position? I almost don't see why it goes up to 5 if there's only 1 5-star coache in the entire game when you reach past 2030 and he's a fitness coach, and he's a coach that's been in the game from 2009 so he's not a regen.

So this means, the game simply isn't producing *any* 5-star regen coaches at least in my save, admitedly it may happen in other saves, but it's not in mine.

Archived