Pc advice from you tecchies

Basically my PC is getting on, and with only single core processor is not up to the job anymore, and the missus is fed up of me nicking her laptop for hours on end. Anyway have been googling about and came across this from Currys:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/advent-centurion-cpq9104-refurbished-desktop-pc-04092366-pdt.html

Now I know the basics when it comes to PCs, but this seemed like a very good deal to me, any thoughts?

Hi -

This should be fine. Decent quad core CPU and you'll have the max RAM that 16 bit windows can use e.g. you have 4gb RAM but will likely use around 3.5gb or less but don't worry, this is the same for all of us

Maybe she'll contribute a bit to stop you using her laptop ?

I doubt it mate, more chance of Messi signing for Norwich than the missus stumping up cash ;~)

I have read mixed reviews, but the main gripe is the graphics card is bottom end, but as I don't play any other game bar FM on the PC thought it would do the job (and better than an intergrated one), and for £350 seemed very reasonable (although I do realised it's a refurb but that doesn't bother me). I also realise it looks like a tank, but again that doesn't concern me.

Think I will sleep on it.

It should be fine for fm but there's only one thing. It looks to me like that price is only for the desktop so you'll be extra for a monitor so keep that in mind.

Edit:

Just had a quick look on the currys site and here's a desktop pc for the same price with a monitor included.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compaq-sg3-110uk-cq1859s-18-5-widescreen-lcd-monitor-06852428-pdt.html

Cheers, Trekman I am not bothered about monitor etc as I have good ones already, but which would you say is the better buy regarding the technical info? I appreciate compaq is a better make than advent (I believe Currys, Dixons, PC World own brand).

The compaq one has a slightly faster processor speed which should be benificial. I'm not entirely sure how good amd processors are though tbh since I prefer Intel ones in my computers.

PC world aren't the cheapest. If you find a model that you want, google it and see which place offers the best price. My tv was £100 cheaper from Dixons than Currys, even though they are both owned by the same parent company. The box it came in even said Currys on the side, but because I ordered it from a different site, it was £100 cheaper! There's also alot of places that custom build PC's and these are usually cheaper than the big shops :thup:

Archived