How does the game choose a player's value?

As other threads have spoken about it's clearly not the sale value that the player's current club puts on him, so what is it (assuming he hasn't just been transfered)? If you read a newspaper irl, they might say that player x is valued by their club at 15 million, which is about the price that the buying club would be expecting to pay. But in F.M the value given to a player seems to have no relevance to the player's current club, so i'm guessing 'they' aren't responsible for assigning it, so who sets it?

it's been suggested that the highest "organic" value (i.e. set by the game not influenced by transfers etc) is £40M and basically that is the reason that the value is often so far away from the asking price, i mean, who's going to sell Messi for only 40M?

It's clearly a very complex algorithm which determines a player's value - and rightly so.

The current club is just one factor of many - why should it have any more weight than other factors? At the end of the day, iit is unlikely that the club's valuation will even be close to seling price, it is just an arbitary figure.

The answer is noone "sets it" - it is the old rule of economics - everything is worth what the buyer will pay.

In other words, the player has a different value to everyone. The value one club sees that player might be very different to every other depending on their own criteria, ie they might really need a left winger and therefore that player is worth a lot more in comparison to the club who has 3 world class left wingers who would see him as pretty much worthless.

Generally, the "club" valuation is related to his importance to the club along with countless other modifiers.

anyone think that players souldnt have that value? it is completely irrelevant as it is not what you can buy the player for then what is it for other to to "rank" players in how good they are

in real life this doesnt happen, we dont look at messi like ya hes a 35.5 Million player we just say hes a great player

makes you think what these numbers are acually for because they are not really transfer "value" unless that is there asking price when they are transfer listed in which case the number is relevant

anyone think that players souldnt have that value? it is completely irrelevant as it is not what you can buy the player for then what is it for other to to "rank" players in how good they are

in real life this doesnt happen, we dont look at messi like ya hes a 35.5 Million player we just say hes a great player

makes you think what these numbers are acually for because they are not really transfer "value" unless that is there asking price when they are transfer listed in which case the number is relevant

Of course it happens in real life but I am not disagreeing with you.

Another example is Mascherano. Liverpool wanted 25 million and other clubs were around 15 million. Two completely different valuations. It's just economics.

The point is the club HAS to put a value on the player even though other clubs might not agree.

I don't want to lose my star striker and so I value him at 20 million because that is what I think he is worth to replace. Unfortunately the guy is completely unloyal and doesnt turn up for training and declares he will never play for the club again! suddenly he's worth a lot less and clubs are offering 10 million because he is unsettled! I think the game does a reasonable job of simulating this kind of thing.

I work at an investment bank, and sometimes we need to give a monetary value to certain athletes so we can have an aprox. idea of how much they worth for companies. We normally do it taking the Net Present Value (NPV) of any sport/marketing/commercial contract the player signed and adding them. NPV is calculated just by discounting each payment (annual/monthly wage) to a certain intereset rate.

i.e. If Messi is under a 5-yr contract with a 12.5 M annual wage and let say we take a 10% interest rate (chossing an appropiate interest rate is really tricky) his NPV= 47 M and thats his value independent of the demand for "Messi"s in the football market (which i ¡assume its higher than just 47M) but everything change if demand for Messi appears (say a team willing to buy him) then his TRUE VALUE goes up because the obvious limited supply, and price will be >47M. (If we look at CR7 transfer from MU to RM his selling price was almost triple his NPV at that time)

So back to this topic :-p I've seen this kind of aproach also in FM10, so when you have a player with only 1-yr left of his contract his value goes down until he signs another one. But not sure if they actually do it this way.

PS: Certainly a good question for economists who play FM, as me :-)

I think the value involves different factors..

I think FM takes into account the number of the appearances of the player and his rating in the games he plays. Then if he scores or makes assist, his value will be raised , especially if a midfielder or attacker. Then another factor which I consider relevant is if he gets any award (being in the team of the week or the prospect of the year etc). I also think that it depends on the demand that player has; if there are many teams wanting that player, it means that he is valuable and so his price increases, especially if teams with a high international reputation.

Form? Playing level? Age? any of these factor into the value?

Yes I think so... if he had many injuries he will be prone to having more, so his value would be less, as a much used would be less worth. Then also if he is old I would pay him less as I don't see him as a long-term investment.

I work at an investment bank, and sometimes we need to give a monetary value to certain athletes so we can have an aprox. idea of how much they worth for companies. We normally do it taking the Net Present Value (NPV) of any sport/marketing/commercial contract the player signed and adding them. NPV is calculated just by discounting each payment (annual/monthly wage) to a certain intereset rate.

i.e. If Messi is under a 5-yr contract with a 12.5 M annual wage and let say we take a 10% interest rate (chossing an appropiate interest rate is really tricky) his NPV= 47 M and thats his value independent of the demand for "Messi"s in the football market (which i ¡assume its higher than just 47M) but everything change if demand for Messi appears (say a team willing to buy him) then his TRUE VALUE goes up because the obvious limited supply, and price will be >47M. (If we look at CR7 transfer from MU to RM his selling price was almost triple his NPV at that time)

So back to this topic :-p I've seen this kind of aproach also in FM10, so when you have a player with only 1-yr left of his contract his value goes down until he signs another one. But not sure if they actually do it this way.

PS: Certainly a good question for economists who play FM, as me :-)

I don't think though FM discounts for future value though, as the game takes on account of any possible inflationary effect, being a football sim and not an economic one. If I have time one of these days I'll do a proper analysis based on the quickie one I linked to above.

I don't think though FM discounts for future value though, as the game takes on account of any possible inflationary effect, being a football sim and not an economic one. If I have time one of these days I'll do a proper analysis based on the quickie one I linked to above.

But inflation takes no part here (there's only ONE good (players), therefore no inflation) and there's no need of interest rate also so the game can easily calculate the private value to the Owner by discounting the contract wages and adding/substracting value depending on ablities.

but what about players' whose in-game stated ''value'' is 4mil, but cant be bought for 20? Who's setting that value, it's obviously not the clubs, so what's the point of it?

Just like the the whole thread about this... the club probably doesn't want to sell them so they as more then they are worth, if they get the inflated price it's a deal, if not its fine because they wanted the player.

When you scout a player the report always tells you about how much it will take to get the player from their club (if it's a good scouter). Sometimes this number is higher then their value, meaning the AI thinks their value will increase or they are a key player. Then other times the cost is lower because they aren't needed by the club even though they are good players.

I regularly get guys that cost me less then their value. It's just a general guideline.

And I have seen a players value go up when they sign a big deal, so value is effected by signings, but not as much as performance.

Archived