Dodged a Bullet....Twice!

Managing Newport in 2032 and have been since the first season. Guided them up through the leagues and into the Champions League, winning a league cup, an FA cup and the Championship along the way. Yet to obtain the Premiership title although this season is looking promising.

August rolls around and the chairman is looking to sell the club, he's put in a good stint with us so it's fair enough if he wants to move on. Only problem is the transfer embargo (which isn't that bad, already finished my wheeling and dealing), or at least that was what I thought.....

A message pops up about the situation saying a consortium was looking to buy (possibly including an ex-footballer) but the real kicker was that should they be successful they would look to install a new manager. The one and only Gareth Bale! I wasn't too happy when I saw this after investing so much time with the club. Luckily thought after a few weeks the negotiations collapse due to a disagreement over the club value, phew!

Months pass, the chairman is still looking to sell up and another buyer comes along. Another consortium, this time led by Tim Howard. Once again they are looking to install a new manager only this time it's Sinama-Pongolle. He won a few leagues with Lyon and was recently fired from Espanyol so this was looking more likely than the Bale deal. Weeks go by and no news, I carry on playing and winning games in the hope that might save me. After all the negotiations I get a message saying this deal also collapsed. Another bullet dodged!

This is the first time I've seen two takeovers collapse for a club I'm managing, not complaining though! What's the success rate for takeovers and what factors are taken into consideration?

(P.S sorry about the long post, I'm in work and bored :p)

Wow - sounds like a new board would be looking to take the club to the next level and are showing a lack of respect! When such things are announced can you respond in the media or to the existing board....if not it should be a feature. You should be able to declare your unhappiness, and resign with a stat increase in such a situation.

Well done though - here's hoping that it's 3rd time lucky!

I don't think you can say anything in the media at all. This happened to me only once, and I was supposed to be replaced. I think normally if you're on a long-term contract (if not try and negotiate a new one with your existing board) they will give you a few games to prove yourself so if you keep on winning they won't fire you - they aren't completely daft.

What's your stadium capacity at Newport?

I enjoyed a game there taking them to the top of the Championship, then got offered the Arsenal job after Bergkamp made a mess of it and jumped ship. Think I had a 11k capacity stadium at that point. The real trick with the small clubs is the player development - get lots of kids in turn them into half decent players and some lower eschelon Premiership club will always take a gamble on them.

Was capped at 16k until I got a new stadium built with a 26k capacity. A season later it got expanded and is now at 39k, not sure what it's current potential is but I'm filling the stands each game so want to expand further.

I was hoping that if they did take over I'd at least be given a chance, on a PSV game they got taken over and I got told I had a chance to prove my worth before they got someone else in.

I was hoping that if they did take over I'd at least be given a chance, on a PSV game they got taken over and I got told I had a chance to prove my worth before they got someone else in.

I think that's what normally happens.

New twist in the Newport saga! Looks like the club will finally be sold but this time to an Israeli tycoon and no word of sacking me. Will get double my current transfer budget but doesn't mean I wont stop being tight with transfers! Now to see if this deal actually goes through.....

For two times now, I got a news item saying that the new chairman wanted to replace me. Never happened. And it wouldn't be realistic either since I'm the most successful manager in the club's history.

But honestly, I don't think it can happen. As anyone been fired because the new chairman wanted to hire someone else!?

For two times now, I got a news item saying that the new chairman wanted to replace me. Never happened. And it wouldn't be realistic either since I'm the most successful manager in the club's history.

But honestly, I don't think it can happen. As anyone been fired because the new chairman wanted to hire someone else!?

dafuge has.

Board take overs seem to take a while to actually happen.

When I was at Staines it took about 6 months and I was told that the new board would look to bring their own man in. Despite this, when they took over they decided to "give me a chance".....and I managed to do alright for them taking the club up to the championship. Hopefulyl they didnt regret it!

Really ? I thought he had been at t&m since the beginning.

In FM10, yes, but FM didn't start in November! ;)

I can't remember the details, I think it was on his Braintree save in FM06 (with Danny Roberts), but I'm probably wrong. In fact, I'd be surprised if I got all three details right.

Archived