This is why you always keep a back up keeper on the bench

You try playing in the lowest league in Belgium.

You're only allowed 4 substitutes, leaves you with a bit of a dilemma, have 4 outfield players and run the risk of your keeper getting injured or take the gamble and give yourself greater choice with what substitutions you make.

I never had a backup GK on the bench. Played about 10 seasons and he never got injured. Until once. It was long term too. I diidn't even have a back up goalie in the squad. Window had just shut too..

because in FM09 and 10 Malouda is so **** !!!!! if i manager chelsea i ALWAYS sell him in the first window for 6-7m..... and wen i dont manage chelsea he is always sold at the end of the 2009/10 season....after only having play 10-15 games all season......

On my Man United save my keeper, VDS, got injured and I didn't have a back up on the bench. I stuck Vidic in goal and the oppo, cant remember who, scored with their first shot and it was straight at him!

I always keep a GK on the bench now.

My keeper never gets injured or sent off during games, so I've never had to worry about a sub keeper. My 7 subs are always defender left, defender right, defender centre, midfield left, midfield right, midfield centre, and striker. Quite happy having no keeper on the bench. If I suffer once because of it, well, so be it I guess, but I've no plans to put 1 on the bench anytime soon.

If subs = 7 then goalkeeper is on bench.

If subs are 5 or less, then maybe no goalkeeper on bench. Depends upon how versatile by team is, but I'd rather have a strong benefit for 99% of games than have a goalkeeper in reserce for when it's 5 subs.

Personally I am more Worried as to why your using Deco as your ML instead of Malouda :|

you have a set of strikers there though, Hulk, Suarez, Drogba, Anelka & Lukaku

Deco is great on the left. I have him playing like iniesta when he pulls wide. Deco is great mentally and can shoot when he pulls inside. Its a good role for him imo.

Oh and guys.....hulk as an inside forward = messi on steroids. He is scary good. I beat man utd 5-0 and hulk scored twice from the right.

Back on topic: All you people who chooses not to keep a keeper on the bench.....goalies get rarely hurt in real life and yet managers always have a back up on the bench. Even when the prem only allowed 5 subs.

Dont test fate. You dont want to be in a cup final with no back up keeper and have your number 1 go down.

And if that does happen to you, please dont come on here raging about how the game cheats.

I never have a spare keeper on the bench. As yet, I've never suffered the consequences.

*Touches nearest available piece of wood*

I see storm clouds forming over heathxxx....

I only stick a spare keeper in if it is a really important match where I really can't afford anything to go wrong at any point. I have only had 1 keeper sent off during a match and never had one injured during a match so I guess I'm a touch lucky. I don't have a set routine for my bench though, I just put in 5-7 random players not including a keeper

Im not gna lie, the likelihood of my GK getting injured is very slim, therefore i dont use a sub GK, although i like the young talented goalkeepers coming through the ranks at football clubs, so i may start to use one :/

I currently use

DL

DR

DC

MC

AMC

MR

ML

ST

I never put a keeper on the bench, the chances of you not needing another keeper far out-weigh the chance that you will. One time I was playing with my beloved Man City and Given got injured and I didn't have a keeper on the bench. I put Chiellini in net because he had the best rating out of the whole team. Chiellini didn't concede and made a series of saves after we kept Wolves limited to long shots. Then in the last minute of injury time and Delfouneso scored the winner for me. I was going mental! I've saved the file and it's a match I watch it regularly, it's brilliant.

Pretty sure in Scotland (or the SPL at least) you have to have a goalie on the bench and I generally start my careers there, so it's a habit I don't get out of. When in the lower leagues of Scotland where it's only 5 subs then yeah sometimes I won't bother as it's more useful to have that extra striker or impact player there.

I never have a keeper on the bench, It seams a waste of a sub. I have never had a keeper inj or sent off in my long term save (33/34 season)

I go with :

DC

MR

ML

DM

AM

Striker (poacher or deep lying)

Striker (TM or Advanced)

playing a 3-4-1-2

On my Bournemouth save, i'm in the year 2021 and i can't remember once having a keeper injured in a match.

So after the year 2014 i've stopped putting a keeper on the bench.

I've had a keeper's get injured in training every once in blue moon, but i've had no keeper injured in a match yet, touch wood. ;)

I have in past versions but the likely hood of it happening is still 0.0000000001% of the time. I am happy to loose that game if/when it happens for the extra out field player to change a game with my more diverse attacking options.

I almost never have a backup keeper on the bench, managing in Serie A and the Premier League. I would much rather have more outfield options and tactical flexibility than a keeper that will almost certainly never come on during a match.

Then again, in real life if a manager omitted the keeper and the starter was injured, he'd be lambasted forever. In FM, the fans don't notice...

The FM gods will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger. You've done it now ;)

I couldn't have said it better myself :D

I never put a keeper on the bench, the chances of you not needing another keeper far out-weigh the chance that you will. One time I was playing with my beloved Man City and Given got injured and I didn't have a keeper on the bench. I put Chiellini in net because he had the best rating out of the whole team. Chiellini didn't concede and made a series of saves after we kept Wolves limited to long shots. Then in the last minute of injury time and Delfouneso scored the winner for me. I was going mental! I've saved the file and it's a match I watch it regularly, it's brilliant.

Lets hope you don't end up like man city did last season (actually....lets hope you do) ;)

I blame this thread for me having not 1, not 2 but my 3 top keepers out for 4+ weeks, now all Im left with is a 17 year old and a listed goalie who isnt part of my CL squad so QPR are going to play Juve and Stuttgart with the 17 year old playing.

........I WARNED YOU

i wouldn't worry if i were you mate.

you have suarez as a standby anyway.

I would laugh more if I wasn't so angry about the entire situation when it happened :mad:

I've never actually had a goalkeeper on the bench for about a year (real time, not game time), and that was because I was pretending to take off one of my long-serving goalkeepers to an imaginary standing ovation at the last home game of the season (I do this for any long-serving player - substitute them off late). I've only had one goalkeeper injury from FM07 onwards - I suppose that motivates what I do.

Despite this I always try to have at least 4 goalkeepers in the team - one first-teamer, two backup (at least one being a very old player as they complain less) and one youngster who can step in if absolutely necessary.

On my current save I've got a number 1 keeper and 3 deputies who all show the potential to be better than my number 1 but aren't up to it yet

I've farmed them all out to Championship sides to get some experience and I play my U18's goalie if the number one gets injured. Worked for me since the days of the original CM

I only do this because I've a million percent confidence in my utterly brilliant back four and the deputies they have

It annoys me with internationals having to select 3 keepers when I'd prefer to take another midfielder

On my current save I've got a number 1 keeper and 3 deputies who all show the potential to be better than my number 1 but aren't up to it yet

I've farmed them all out to Championship sides to get some experience and I play my U18's goalie if the number one gets injured. Worked for me since the days of the original CM

I only do this because I've a million percent confidence in my utterly brilliant back four and the deputies they have

It annoys me with internationals having to select 3 keepers when I'd prefer to take another midfielder

Yeah I agree, but thems the rules sadly.

Maybe if you dont put a GK on the bench, talented goalkeepers who expect to (at least) be back up, could get the hump if they dontmake your match day squad?

Archived