A Suggestion...

I'm sure I can't be the only one to have been screwed over in this way during a match before, so posting it here might help SI to fix it in the future.

What happens is, I go to tactics during a game, and make my final sub, and press confirm. Before the ball goes out of play for him to come on, one of my players gets injured. But because I have already pressed confirm, the substitution cannot be cancelled, even though it hasn't even taken place yet, and I'm stuck playing the rest of the game with 10 men.

In real life, the team would simply stop the pending substitution and take off the injured player instead, but in FM this is impossible and leaves me disadvantaged for the rest of the match. Hopefull it can be fixed in some way for future versions of the game.

I got knocked out of the Champions League like that :(

I just needed one goal to go through so threw on a load of extra attackers towards the end of the game, I scored before the substution took place meaning I had to try and create some kind of defensive formation out of all my attackers. Needless to say the opposition scored easily and knocked me out :mad:

Dafuge - Attack is the best form of Defence ;) Usually if i am in the position you were in in the final i just look to pin them in their own half and ook for another goal.

As for the OP - Sometimes if you have pressed confirm and a player gets injured before your sub actually comes on if you press 'cancel' then go back on the tactics screen the substitution is not completed and you can change the substitution.

Dafuge - Attack is the best form of Defence ;) Usually if i am in the position you were in in the final i just look to pin them in their own half and ook for another goal.

It wasn't a final, it was a quarter final second leg. We were a goal up and if we conceded we would get knocked out on away goals. Not the situation you really want to be in with four strikers and two defenders on the pitch!

• 1 month later...

Have SI given any indication at all as to whether they have fixed this game crippling bug (or design flaw but it has to be a bug - no-one sets out to make the sub function deliberately unrealistic do they)? I've asked SI on FB and in other forums before FM09 came out, before FM10 came out and now before FM11. For some reason, it seems to be the one bug they want to pretend doesn't exist.... and it's the only issue I care about to decide whether to buy FM11.

You should always have the ability to cancel a pending sub, but it is absolutely critical to at least have the option if there is an injury or if the score changes while it is pending. So many times I'd concede a goal and then watch my last sub take place.... and my team go defensive to defend a losing scoreline!

It's all very well to say, attack is the best form of defence but the way subs are represented in the game it's best not to ever make your last sub and not make any subs in the final 10 minutes of a match because it's too damn risky unless there's a two goal margin.

If it's a red injury then you can cancel the substitution you made previously. It will take you to the tactics screen automatically, just click cancel first, and the sub you made beforehand is cancelled. Then go back to tactics and replace the guy who just got injured. It only works with red injuries though unfortunately, not green ones, but at least a player with a green injury can still play on.

Yea with a red injury it does. You just click cancel, and it cancels the sub you made before the injury. It works with red cards too.

You need to then go to tactics again afterwards though to replace the injured player.

I thought in the case of a player having to leave the field it takes you straight to your tactics screen and gives you a chance to undo a sub that hasn't happened yet? Or is that just with red cards?

Kenco - only red cards or, as pointed out, game ending injuries have been given the ability to cancel subs. None of the real life scenarios have been catered for (manager changing mind, score changing etc).

It would be kind of cool to have a sub procedure that follows the precise laws of the game and a player abusing his position e.g. the laws of the game state that a player refusing to be subbed off also cancels the sub (the exact wording is "If a player who is about to be replaced refuses to leave the field of play, play continues"). Imagine the fun you could have with your post-match disciplinary procedure with that game scenario!

I suppose it's the same with goals and tactical subs. I often change my formation and take off a defender to throw on an extra striker to get me back in the match. My team scores a goal before the change even happens, but I can't cancel it during the celebrations, which is a bit silly.

Archived