Opponents Long Shots

Whenever my players take long shots, they tend to fly over the bar. As such, even players with long shots and technique above 15 I put on 'rarely'. But in the last 5 games straight, I've been the victim of opponents scoring screamers from all over the pitch, players with long shots and technique normally around 10-12. What's going on?! I'm having to all-out attack to try and win games to keep me in the hunt for a champions league place and its becoming rather tiresome!

It is your tactics. Seriously. You're making it too easy for them to have long shots (lack of closing down from the midfield? Lack of a defensive midfielder?) and too hard for yourself (players receiving the ball in difficult circumstances).

There is no reason why a player with 10 long shots cannot score a long shot. It is less likely, but it isn't remotely impossible.

Yeah I mean look at Joey barton RL! scored a screamer against villa :p he's 12 on FM I think. Heh, unrelated I know, but just saying.

Either way, long shots can be useful and can win games, even from low long-shot people.

It's not just tactics... I've had AMC's with 14-17 long shots that get 1 maybe 2 a season on many great chances, they are just always wide. While my DMC with 9 long shot and crap finishing (close technique between them all) got his 2 with fewer chances and fewer games played. Oh and the one guy with 14/14 on long shot/free kick never got one in at any range while opponents always get them if they are close.

I haven't got a clue why it looks like this, maybe it is just dumb luck. But it is annoying and does look questionable.

I would agree apart from the fact that I'm packing the midfield all on closing down and I'm playing with a DMC on 'defend'. I can understand why my players miss when they are under pressure from long range, but my players are putting plenty of pressure on the opposition players and it seems to help them to slam the ball in from 25 yards all the time.

For now anyway the rot seems to have stopped. Though just missed the opportunity to go above villa into 4th place only drawing away at wigan (my bogey team) on a rainy windy day on that terrible terribe pitch at the DW. Chelsea next game... only 3 games left after that to try to snatch 4th.

Archived