Is Football Manager better than football?

Which do you really enjoy more?

Obviously, I'm talking about being a fan of a football team as precious few of us ever get to play a decent standard of football and fewer still get to be a manager. Do you get more pleasure out of being a football fan, or out of playing FM?

Real football comes around once a week, we watch on TV or go to the match with some friends perhaps, we pray for victories, most of us daren't hope for league wins, we're lucky if our team wins a handful of actually important trophies in our entire lifetimes. We often spend serious amounts of money on season tickets, half-time pies, flights to a European match. We might shiver in the rain at a windswept lower league ground. But by God it feels good when our team wins, even though we've had no actual input into the success.

On the other hand, we play FM, perhaps with friends in a networked game. We do it in the comfort of our homes (or offices or trains...), we play when we want. We choose which team to play, we shape it and teak it, we directly control its fortunes. It only costs us £30 a year or so not including the computer. But we know that it's not real - though is football itself 'real'?

So really - which one is better?

As good as FM is I have to say that real football is better. The feeling that I get when my team, Manchester United, beat City or Chelsea or Liverpool far outweighs the feeling I get when I win a game on FM and the fact that we can't shape what happens in real football also gives it the edge. Its far more unpredictable imo :D

The real thing is definately better. However, since our domestic league doesn't interest me the slightest I'd have to say that overall I get more enjoyment out of the game than I do from the limited amount of games available to me on TV.

Real football comes once a week? Heh, between the EPL, Champions League and Cup, and MLS I see games almost every day.

Watched an MLS match today and yesterday, saw a Champ Cup match earlier in the week, 1 or 2 Champ League, and an EPL earlier in the week. Maybe your TV provider needs to get more channels that show it.

Anyway, real football is better. If you aren't watching 'your' team play then it's all good, if it is them you are watching and they make mistakes you might get annoyed but it's understandable... But being the manager in-game and seeing really bad plays due to AI issues and it's all but infuriating.

So real football is more fun.

Real football without a doubt, you can't beat the match day atomsphere and pre match routines etc.

Also away games are great, venturing into another teams Town/City backing your team with non stop vocal support, hoping to see them walk away with all 3 points. :D

FM is good, but real football is better.

Tbh FM got me into Football. When I bought the 1st CM (2nd one for you UK guys) I was actually looking for a NBA simulation game that I couldn't find and there was this game with its great description at the back and at a cheap price. I was sure I had found something interesting but I was nothing close to all the fun I could actually except. Anyway, I had to get into football after that. Firstly by following teams I liked to manage in the game, then by knowing many players and future stars. And lastly by being able to speak football with mates :).

Now I am crazy about football, especially this year where my two favourite leagues become really interesting after the mercato. For me, the best is watching a game while playing FM though :D. I d rather that than watching the game from a pub.

Real football comes once a week? Heh, between the EPL, Champions League and Cup, and MLS I see games almost every day.

Watched an MLS match today and yesterday, saw a Champ Cup match earlier in the week, 1 or 2 Champ League, and an EPL earlier in the week. Maybe your TV provider needs to get more channels that show it.

Anyway, real football is better. If you aren't watching 'your' team play then it's all good, if it is them you are watching and they make mistakes you might get annoyed but it's understandable... But being the manager in-game and seeing really bad plays due to AI issues and it's all but infuriating.

So real football is more fun.

Real football is about going to games, not watching them on TV.

after losing to Wigan, this week I prefer FM. Come next weekend i'll be fickle and like real football again. Such is life.

This is my answer to a T. Once the full time score was in on Saturday I decided to forget about the real Spurs and get down to managing my version.

Archived