Sacked before UEFA title game?

First off, I am a yank who has recently gone mad over socce... err futbol, so I am not sure if the following situation is actually plausible, but my gut tells me no way.

I am in my second season with Man City. In the first season we placed 3rd in the Premier League. In the second season the board expected a serious league title challenge. The team had a dreadful run in the Premier League and with a few weeks to go we were sitting at 9th position. However, we were having an incredible run in the UEFA Champions League and I managed to get the team to a title game showdown against Man U. Also, as we were having success I started to tailor my strategy towards the UEFA title, by playing second stringers against weaker Premier teams if there was an UEFA match a few days after. So with a few weeks to go and a ticket already punched to the UEFA title game, the board sacked me.

My questions is, would that ever happen? I am under the impression that the UEFA Champions League title is more prestigous than the Premier League title.

Thats what it was, the last match, sorry if I was unclear.

Ah, terminology error on my part? So I should have said the ticket was punched to the UEFA final? Still learning, thanks for stuff like this.

But, would that ever happen?

• SI Staff

Yes could easily I'm afraid if your team is of a large enough size (Man City is irl) they will expect to qualify for European competition EVERY season; that requires a certain standard of performance in their domestic league/cup competitions.

As such your doing well in Europe would offset things a fair bit - but (1) you haven't won it yet, (2) you're not looking likely to qualify for it (or indeed any European competition next season) - that will cost the club a substantial amount of money. As such the board may well be looking at things and thinking that a fresh face might help the club push up into contention for European qualifying next saeson.

IRL Man City are cut-throat as far as amanagers are concerned, Mark Hughes their last manager was fired near the start of a season despite not having lost a game that season ..... they DEMAND results and preferably yesterday, if you manage them you get considerable resources at the cost of the boards impatience ...

PS - Where abouts in the US are you located? - I'm in Florida, theres a pretty thriving football community down here (I'm a brit abroad if you wondered).

Yes Mr Vaughan but I;m sure in reallity they'd let him at least play the final and then sack him once the full season's over, considering his form in Europe it's rather stupid not having a manager their for the final.

Don't worry about it Hop, just say I got sacked before the final of the champions league, the rounds before the final(4 teams left in competition) is the semi-final :)

I vowed to never go back to a saved game and just deal with the consequences no matter how bad my misfortune or how unjust a decision seemed and it has really made it all that much more enjoyable than if I had artificially "won". So, as gut wrenching as it was to take being sacked right before the final, I stuck to my guns and waited for the update (in the unemployment line) as the new coach botched it and lost 3-0.

I guess to justify it in my mind, I'll go with the scenario you laid out Marc that I had not thought of. We would have looked like a poor contender in the Premier League who happened to have a good run and would not have qualified for anything further with a loss. I suppose the board thought one of my turncoat assistants was capable of pulling out 1 win. I have railed them in the media and vowed to bring them down once I have settled on a new team. But I will miss all that transfer money :(

I'm in Vegas now. I grew up in Florida (Naples, Gainesville for school, Orlando, and Lauderdale) and played youth football there. Aside from that, I remember the football support being decent down there during the NASL days. We have a pretty strong football community here in Vegas as well with lots of Eastern Europeans calling Vegas home.

Though I played the game in my youth, it took me several decades to finally "get it". I look back and laugh at those days when we all swarmed the ball like angry bees. Now I love and appreciate all the slick passing and the nonstop action. I can't believe I once sat alongside some of my fellow yanks and labeled the game "boring" due to all the low scoring. But oh the payoff for those precious goals. I get it now. Once you appreciate whats going on, it seems more action packed than some of my other beloved sports like American Football with all its downtime. Thanks goodness for the Fox soccer channel, I am now one of the converted!

Kudos to you on the Handheld version, I'm having a blast with it and its really helping me understand the game on a deeper level and allowing me to get to know the teams and players better.

• SI Staff
I vowed to never go back to a saved game and just deal with the consequences no matter how bad my misfortune or how unjust a decision seemed and it has really made it all that much more enjoyable than if I had artificially "won". So, as gut wrenching as it was to take being sacked right before the final, I stuck to my guns and waited for the update (in the unemployment line) as the new coach botched it and lost 3-0.

Good for you - if I ever give in and replay a match in FM I always find the 'guilt' from having done so out-weighs the achievement ..

I guess to justify it in my mind, I'll go with the scenario you laid out Marc that I had not thought of. We would have looked like a poor contender in the Premier League who happened to have a good run and would not have qualified for anything further with a loss. I suppose the board thought one of my turncoat assistants was capable of pulling out 1 win. I have railed them in the media and vowed to bring them down once I have settled on a new team. But I will miss all that transfer money

Heh - I play as Brighton (the team I support) generally so never see that sort of cash personally :D

II played the game in my youth, it took me several decades to finally "get it". I look back and laugh at those days when we all swarmed the ball like angry bees. Now I love and appreciate all the slick passing and the nonstop action. I can't believe I once sat alongside some of my fellow yanks and labeled the game "boring". Once you appreciate whats going on, it seems more action packed than some of my other beloved sports like American Football with all its downtime. Thanks goodness for the Fox soccer channel, I am now one of the converted!

The soccer channels here are great - I get more Premiership matches live here than I did in the UK :D

Kudos to you on the Handheld version, I'm having a blast with it and its really helping me understand the game on a deeper level and allowing me to get to know the teams and players better.

Glad you're enjoying it :D

Didnt a Notts County Manager (Forgot Who?) get sacked last season becayse they werent storming the league by december or something?

Same with scolari at Chelsea didnt he gets sacked straight away after like 5-6 months? because they werent winning everything

Archived