Should we categorize types of passing?

As now & previous versions, the player only has an attribute named "passing" , since the day spending times on viewing player's passin' (particularly midfield player, scholes, xavi, fletcher, pirlo..e.g), i genuinely think its necessary to separate the passing skill into short pass (included through pass)& long one which is more evident for FMers .

What is your opinion?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

As now & previous versions, the player only has an attribute named "passing" , since the day spending times on viewing player's passin' (particularly midfield player, scholes, xavi, fletcher, pirlo..e.g), i genuinely think its necessary to separate the passing skill into short pass (included through pass)& long one which is more evident for FMers .

What is your opinion?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Well, it wouldn't hurt and if I'm not mistaken that's the way it is in pro evolution soccer, but to be honest there are more important things that need to be changed or looked at..

Actually types of passes are categorized to a degree. Passing, Crossing (yes, type of pass), and through passing. Through passes don't have their own stat but you have to keep in mind that a number of stats all play into the success of passes not just passing.

Then there are the pass related PPM's... so I don't think there is any reason for a long pass and short pass stat.

I quite like it as it is tbh. I think like Fabregas says if you split one thing you start splitting a lot of things and it becomes way too cramped on the screen to fit all the different attributes in, and also quite confusing I would think too.

I see the point of the OP but where do you stop? everything could be split. although ive allways wanted to see 'Volleys' as an attribute as some great finnishers arent as good if the ball is off the ground or they have to take a shot first time, perhaps the technique attribute may cover that though.

I see the point of the OP but where do you stop? everything could be split. although ive allways wanted to see 'Volleys' as an attribute as some great finnishers arent as good if the ball is off the ground or they have to take a shot first time, perhaps the technique attribute may cover that though.

Volleys should be more "1st Touch" biased ... whether they are in the game or not i dunno :p

technique seems to apply equally to just about everything.

Different types of pass are currently covered either by PPM's or Instructions .. so no real need for multiple stats

Volleys should be more "1st Touch" biased ... whether they are in the game or not i dunno :p

technique seems to apply equally to just about everything.

Different types of pass are currently covered either by PPM's or Instructions .. so no real need for multiple stats

Agree with everything but the first touch comment... first touch is exactly that. It's about controlling the ball when it comes to the player, nothing to do with passing imo. Because you can receive the ball (first touch) then pass straight away or dribble around a bit and pass. Long or short, it doesn't matter.

Agree, there should be a "Long Pass" and "Short Pass" attribute, rather than just "Passing".

Never really thought about this before, but good post!

So when does a short pass become a long pass? Surely you'd need a Medium Pass too, to cover the difference. Then what about a pass that's in the air as opposed to along the ground, one where the ball travels straight and one where it curves? Do those need attributes too? How about a pass from a header, or chesting the ball? Backheels and intentional slices?

That will become to complicated, I suppose what SI have done is taken all of these factors into consideration and come up with an overall score for the player's passing ability... it makes sense really. Although Long pass and short pass was the obvious extension to this. Cavenagh, you have a fair point, but that would be a bit excessive. :/ maybe passing should be kept as it is...

I always thought that technique measured how good someones long passing is (alongside passing), I don't know why I assumed this. have I just been wasting my time with that?

It plays its part.....like other stats like creativity etc.

I always thought that technique measured how good someones long passing is (alongside passing), I don't know why I assumed this. have I just been wasting my time with that?

My take is technique plays a part to everything relating to the ball, striking, passing, dribbling, tackling. It's just a stat you want no matter what.

Glad to see most people get that there is so much cross over with stats that there is no point to separating things like passing/finishing.

I think finishing covers everything itself(in term of shot power ( PPM included) ,shot accuracy..)

For passing style,what I observed is (likely) :

DM, Box-to-box player : good at short pass but poor at long one ( fletcher, essien...).

CB : some are good at both (Ferdinand ,Terry, Pique..), some just good at delivering short one (Puyol, Carrager..)

FB : SP=LP

CM(Attack), Deep playing maker: good at both

ST : most likely only good at short pass (except Rooney?)

Winger : SP>LP ( Crossing lies in crossing attribute)

CAM : Excellent at short pass , poor at long one (?) since they play & support attacker & winger (?)

My consideration :

SP = thru pass, medium pass .

LP= Half length of a stadium & above

Correct if Im wrong.

You are wrong. Any player could be out standing at passing. His tech, creativity decided what type of balls he can play. Same with Finishing. Comp, tech all are vital to the kind of goals the player can score. If you see it as other wise you are missing the complex way these things interact.

Oh by the way... the game does separate short and long passes, just not plainly with 2 different stats...

Ever seen your asst tell you your team is making/missing a lot of their long passes, then the next game it's the short passes he says the same thing about.

Some people saying no are say things like 'the last thing we need are more stats' like it's a bad thing. But all these stats create a very nice level of depth, they are right that separate passing stats are a bad idea though.

I think every player can make a short pass, hell, even I can make one. For the short passing game to work however, one needs a quickness of mind and feet. When playing short passing I feel mental attributes become more important, like Decisions, Creativity (especially for through balls), Teamwork, Composure,... . Even First touch should be factored in when playing a first time pass.

I believe the passing skill itself only really comes into play when calculating harder, and hence usually longer passes.

So in short, I think having a short passing skill would be stupid, because every player is capable of giving a short pass (when not onder pressure and on a low tempo), and the passing skill the game gives us is already the long passing skill people want.

So when does a short pass become a long pass? Surely you'd need a Medium Pass too, to cover the difference. Then what about a pass that's in the air as opposed to along the ground, one where the ball travels straight and one where it curves? Do those need attributes too? How about a pass from a header, or chesting the ball? Backheels and intentional slices?

Lol, yes we need all of those.

I've said this for years.

My one example would be Neil Lennon, his short passing in real life was fantastic, would never give the ball away...yet he couldnt ping 50yard wonder passes about the place. How could this be represented in the game?...by doing what the OP says and having short and long passing.

I'd also like someone from SI to clarify if the "crossing" attribute does indeed play a part in this, but being an ex researcher I can't recall anytime we were ever told this.

I've said this for years.

My one example would be Neil Lennon, his short passing in real life was fantastic, would never give the ball away...yet he couldnt ping 50yard wonder passes about the place. How could this be represented in the game?...by doing what the OP says and having short and long passing.

I'd also like someone from SI to clarify if the "crossing" attribute does indeed play a part in this, but being an ex researcher I can't recall anytime we were ever told this.

Or just by limiting his passing stat in general. My players with a lower passing stat can make short simple passes all day long but they can't give a long ball even if it meant a sure goal. Again, passing is about much more then just 1 stat, hell it even goes partly to players off the ball if a pass is going to be possible or successful. That's why there is an off the ball stat and positioning stat can help too, it's called finding space so a pass, long or short, can be successful to them.

Archived