Lincolnshire and South Humberside Nation Database Release

nine_iron

Nine_iron,

I appreciate very much your effort in creating your Lincolnshire and South Humberside Nation Database.

I honestly admit I’m not specially interested in that geographical area since I neither was born nor I live there.

I apologise if you have already exposed it, but you are so much active on this forums and it’s not easy to make a complete search on your posts: I’m highly interested in the method you used in creating it since your method might be obviously applied to any area in the world.

Just for instance, it’s possible to use it – apart other English counties – for a Provence nation separated from the rest of France, or a Bayern nation from Germany or (more evidently) a Basque nation separated from Spain and so on.

I think the first problem is to find all cities that belong to a certain geographical area. This should allow you to find all clubs related to those cities and all people who were born there.

Maybe in your case, the area is relatively small so that you might know all cities in that area, more or less by heart. Otherwise you could only do it if you could merge cities in FM08 database with a list of cities in the area, coming from an external source.

But this merging would be possible only if you can extract data from FM08 database into another format.

Of course it’s not finished there since there’s a long work left but, at least, you'd have a base to work on.

I’m I right? Could you please explain how you worked on it?

Thanks

Firstly I am lucky enough to be from the area so are familiar with the towns and cities, I decided on the limits of the country as being the northern edge of Hull and the counties that used to be Lincolnshire and south Humberside. I researched what teams currently in the game are from the area using a website showing the english football pyramid. This gave me many teams to start with. I used them to make up the first divisions. I also researched the county leagues and other associated leagues below those listed on the pyramid to give me another set of teams. Any large town left without a team I created one for. Using wikipedia I got all the details for the towns and from the teams websited updated the squads and stadia. I filled in all the other details eg chairmen, rivals etc and set the reputation in line with their league position using the top teams as a starting point. I edited the nation of GB, swapped teams into the Israli league (I like the limit of fgn players). I filled in the gaps in the english league system for neatness and changed all players born in the nation to the nationality. I also gave all players currently working there a work permit by selecting it as a second nation but declairing them to their first nation. I filled in all the other details and then tested it.

The key element was research. Many hours trawling on the net to find players, stadia, chairmen, managers, coachs etc. Not all info was available so I left some of it to the game and edited some myself. I decided not to make it a major nation and kept the realism as best I could with giving it a fighting chance to bloom. I hope I found that balance and not too many people have complaints. I did test it many times myself but I cannot control the AI of peoples games. The main aim was to make something people from the area on this forum could enjoy or edit for their own enjoyment. Sadly I have not heard much back, maybe they are still playing it or maybe it went straight in the trash. I dont mind either way because it was fantastic fun and Im loving playing it!

Thanks for answering.

As I supposed, in your case, it mostly depended on personal knowledge and then on long hours of deep researches.

Finding all teams in a chosen area is quite possible, even in a less familiar area.

What I find extremely difficult is to select players (and non players) who were born in the area. Some or most of them probably play in the same area where they were born but there are of course many other ones who play elsewhere. I suspect you had to check each and every (English) player on the database with the editor in order to see if their birthplace was inside your area….

It might be simpler if it were possible to extract data from FM08 db in a workable format (i.e. Excel) but I haven’t read about a similar chance. Do you know anything about that?

All the other things you described were easy to imagine, 'though not so easy to do. I think your choices have been the most balanced ones.

You should not be frustrated by the lack of feedbacks on your work. I regret it’s quite common on these Forums, almost every time someone shares tactics, fantasy databases, utilities, etc.

Many tend to criticize instead of appreciating the efforts and the desire of sharing them. If you had fun in preparing it and you enjoy playing it, I think you might be satisfied as well.

I didnt extract data or seach through every player, I knew what towns and cities were in the area I decided was my country and searched using the filter for who was born in them. It was not a difficult job, just about an hours work.

Thankyou very much for your response. I am currently contemplating doing this all over again for Hampshire! I have recently moved here for a job. I have to decide if I want to use the same league structure and overwrite or add it into a different league and have 2 icon_biggrin.gif

I have been workin on it for ages so it was on the first one but I saved it with the most recent version of the editor so you can play it only on 8.02 I think. I havent tried it on any other patch.

I dont think it would make much of a difference to the game as I added most of the players myself, I updated squads as best I could but I am aware that a few transfers in the 8.02 version may have been missed.

The reason is I began making this a long time ago, shelved it and picked it up again. Unless you want to pay great detail to other leagues than the Lincs one I am sure it will not affect game play, anyway, it is a make belive world!

You answered your own question before, put the file containing the database in the database folder and you can add the logos to your graphics folder, help on all this is within the text file in the zipped folder. I thought it would not be a problem. If you need any help it is here answered a hundered times or more... I have the database working wonderful here! Ive sadly noticed I missed removing one point of the History, darn I double checked everything I could but one thing always seems to seep through.

The error is that the team appears to have won the 1909 olympics, I just changed it to England. You can do this to if you want. The database is provided to be used in any way you wish!

• 1 month later...

WoW Thanks to all for downloading!

Ive enjoyed this so much I am making and expanded version fitting into the turkish league system. The only reason I did not do this before is because of the detail level (stadia, players, board) being low as the information is harder to find (ie no website for club).

Just to give you a taster here are some clubs I have added (if you play football in Lincolnshire or South Humberside you might know some of them)

LSS Lucarly's

Sculcoates

Fulbeck

Metheringham

Easington

Skellingthorpe

Westella and Willerby

Market Rasen Town

Ruston Sports

All these teams and all the ones from the previous will be playable so for all those Grimsby Boro, Bottesford Town and Hessle Rangers fans you will now be able to start with your team (and even edit in the players you know yourself!!)

I will post it up for download when done, its going to have a lot of "Artisitc licence" feeling to it as I wanted to give it some depth. I will include the logo pack again and if anyone has requests or additional information please feel free to contact me.

Thanks again everyone for downloading!

Update on the expansion!

Now I am adding almost all the teams down to the Scunthorpe, Grantham and Lincoln district leagues. Concentrating on the town/village teams. So you will be able to play Hull down to Easington or Lincoln down to Ruston!! Im getting very excited. I have found a few details from news articles/websites to add managers or other details, apologies if out of date.

I hope to be testing this over the weekend aiming to have it up for download in less than 2 weeks. Contact me for beta guys!

• 2 months later...

Hey guys! I know many people followed my signup thread and were hoping for a expanded release of this database. Unfortunatly I became quite ill. I have since recovered and back to editing! I am planning to pre order the 09 game and get and Lincolnshire database for that made up! I cannot wait but for now I am going to try and make and expanded one for 08 to make sure I have got all the bugs out of my plan!

Sorry to leave like I did guys and I am working hard on getting you a final fix of 08 FM goodness

Well the database is going well although I need about another 100 teams to fill all the spots to make the FA cup work! Gosh darn it! I hope by the time I get 09 i will have worked out the optimum league structure to make my database work with a decent level of depth! Portugal seemed right except for the 92 1st round FA cup fixtures!

B, reserve, U18 teams dont play in the cup. I have got it to a stage that by round 3 most teams are of the nation but I have had to keep the cup as POR and called it the Portuguese Humber Trophy. Sounds catchy and looks ok but you have to load portugal leagues to make the game work. Still it is running well in my first test and is amazing to see teams from tiny villages in the game!

The one up is the basic one, the expanded one is basically a trial for one for 09 now. I can put it up as its testing well but its in no way an easy to use database... Hope you enjoy the basic one and the logo pack too, took me bloomin ages that!

What team is it? I have over 100 lincolnshire teams in my expanded version! Just names and grounds bar about 30 but still its a blast if you can get over the annoying quick fixes I have had to include...

I will put it up later this weekend if testing goes well into season 3.

I play for a village team called holbeach bank, we are currently in the boston league first division. i've played higher and had a look at the teams in the logo pack, played against a few of them in the past. haven't had time to try it out yet but certainly will do. i did notice you didn't have holbeach united on there, they are quite a good side in the south of lincolnshire and play in the same league as deeping rangers and boston town.

I hope holbeach are there! im quite sure they are but may just be in the league below playable. I cannot remember. In the expansion they are in the top 30 teams that make up the first two divisions. I am working on that at the moment. Check that Holbeach are in the domestic clubs, I really hope they get promoted up for you soon! The only problem with small league structures is that you cannot fit all you want in without making much more work below playable leagues!

Archived