Black Screen. Please help a fellow Football Manager addict.

Hi all, haven't posted on this forum for a few months so it's nice too be back!

Unfortunately, have had to come on because I had a problem yesterday! When I clicked 'Play game' on Steam it came up with an error message and after skimming through things on the internet, I finally found a successful solution to the problem, I was relieved as I have a saved game going really well, but then when I finally got on, I got to the start screen and I had another problem because the screen was black. I have had numerous suggestions, and have tried many of these. Things such as, leave it for a few outs, delete a certain folder? Went into my Users-my area- appdata- Roaming and then the Sports Interactive folder in here, I deleted that as someone told me, but whenever I go back onto the game to see if it has worked, the folder seems to have reappeared? The most common suggestion seems to have been to uninstall then reinstall but I have made lot's of database changes and don't want these to be deleted. Also don't want my saved games to be deleted.

Could anyone possibly help? Thanks in advance!

A very upset Football manager gamer at the minute!:thdn:

There are three probable causes for you getting a white or black frozen screen upon starting the game.

The First reason could be that your Cache files have become corrupted and deleting them will fix the issue.

To do this follow either of these paths depending on your Operating System.

Windows XP:

C:\Users\<User Name\App Data\

Vista and 7:

C:\Users\<User Name>\App Data\Roaming

Once you can see inside those folders delete the Sports Interactive Folder.

If you can’t see those folders you will have to make “Hidden” files viewable.

For Vista and 7:

In a window, go to 'Organize'->'Folder and Search Options'->'View'-> and select 'Show hidden files and folders'.

For XP:

Make sure you are able to see hidden folders:

When in a window, go to 'Tools'->'Folder Options'->'View'-> and make sure 'Show hidden files and folders' is selected.

There are three probable causes for you getting a white or black frozen screen upon starting the game.

The First reason could be that your Cache files have become corrupted and deleting them will fix the issue.

To do this follow either of these paths depending on your Operating System.

Windows XP:

C:\Users\<User Name\App Data\

Vista and 7:

C:\Users\<User Name>\App Data\Roaming

Once you can see inside those folders delete the Sports Interactive Folder.

If you can’t see those folders you will have to make “Hidden” files viewable.

For Vista and 7:

In a window, go to 'Organize'->'Folder and Search Options'->'View'-> and select 'Show hidden files and folders'.

For XP:

Make sure you are able to see hidden folders:

When in a window, go to 'Tools'->'Folder Options'->'View'-> and make sure 'Show hidden files and folders' is selected.

I have done this, gone into the Cache folder where there are other folders. I have tried to delete these but as soon as I go to see if the game works yet, the folders seem to reappear?

Make sure that you can see hidden files, it hells you how to do it at the bottom of my first post. Then delete the sports interactive folder. The folder will recreate itself so it'll come back like you said.

I did this and the hidden files thing was already ticked? So I've basically done what you have said. Deleted the Sports Interactive folder altogether. Should I restart the computer?

Update directx, Java & graphics card drivers.

How do I do this? I know something went wrong yesterday and it asked me to switch something off? Thought it was Java and I have suspected very much since tha that was the problem behind it. I'm guessing you can update these via the internet?

Update directx, Java & graphics card drivers.

The game will install the appropriate directx if you don't have it, so just make sure you have the most recent graphics drivers.

Updating java (if you have it installed on your system) in an attempt to fix things will do nothing because you do not need Java as a stand alone to run this game. If you have java installed it is completely separate from this game and will not affect it in any way whatsoever.

The game will install the appropriate directx if you don't have it, so just make sure you have the most recent graphics drivers.

Updating java (if you have it installed on your system) in an attempt to fix things will do nothing because you do not need Java as a stand alone to run this game. If you have java installed it is completely separate from this game and will not affect it in any way whatsoever.

Sorry for being such a douche but are the graphics drivers downloadable?

I'm almost 100% certain that the game does infact need java. It wont do any harm to have it installed on your computer anyway.

You can get the very latest version of direct x and java by clicking on the links below.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us/aboutgfw/pages/directx.aspx

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Cant advise you about graphics card drivers without first knowing what you've got.

Thought these two would not affect anything as Kicklballz said?:confused:

Please stop telling people to get Java. You don't need Java to run this game.

Also, the game already installs (if you need it - which you won't) the latest version of directx (there is no newer versions) so that's not the problem either.

Stop being stupid, trekman is making a good suggestion as Java is a good thing to download to help FM.

Please stop telling people to get Java. You don't need Java to run this game.

Also, the game already installs (if you need it - which you won't) the latest version of directx (there is no newer versions) so that's not the problem either.

Well I am sorry if my suggestion bothers you but according to the fm09 manual the game Does need directx 9.0c at least and I am assuming that fm 10 is the same. In fact the online manual for fm10 even suggests updating to the latest version if your experiencing problems.

I'm a pc user so maybe thats why directx is needed. If your a mac user then maybe it doesn't need it I dont know.

Well I am sorry if my suggestion bothers you but according to the fm09 manual the game Does need directx 9.0c at least and I am assuming that fm 10 is the same. In fact the online manual for fm10 even suggests updating to the latest version if your experiencing problems.

I'm a pc user so maybe thats why directx is needed. If your a mac user then maybe it doesn't need it I dont know.

OMG

Can you read? Where did anyone say you don't need directx!

I can only asume you are either incredibly dense or are trolling. Either way my patience is exhausted - I was looking to help the OP but now you have completely derailed the thread with pointless idiocy.

Calm down people. No suggestion is a bad suggestion but nothing seems to have worked. Also tried downloading the latest Java but it came up with a box which basically said no can do! Struggling to find any other thing apart from uninstall the game, then reinstall but that is obviously the last thing I want to do due to fear of losing everything and although people have said save it in different folders you still don't want to end up having to go through all the 'hoohaa' of having to reinstall etc. I have tried to delete the Sports Interactive folder in AppData but as soon as I go back onto the game, it recreates itself. Whether it is meant to or not, anyone have any other suggestions for the final time. I really have genuinely missed it and want to get back to it as soon as I can. Any help is really really appreciated and if anyone gives me a successful suggestion then I owe everything I own to them!

• 4 years later...

Archived