Backroom scouting recommendations biased?

So I can't get a scout for my team (another issue/explanation later) which means I rely on my backroom for scouting finds and recommendations, which is fine because they have found me some excellent players.

So here is the thing, its and MLS team and my backroom consists of a Spanish asst man, Brazilian coach and physio, Italian coach, Uruguayan fitness coach, and an Argentine keeper coach. The team has a Canadian and Mexican feeder club and has max scouting knowledge of US, Spain, Italy, Serbia, France, Mexico, Canada, Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, and Colombia. Now 99% of the players they come up with to scout are all from Brazil, rarely I'll get one from Mexico or Argentina, only one (exactly) from Canada, and I've never seen them recommend anyone from Europe. Like I said, they've found me many good finds, but all Brazilian, you'd think the team was affiliated with a Brazilian club and they are sending me their loans. It's not like it the one coach bringing them up either, my asst and the coaches all point to Brazilians.

So why the bias towards Brazilians?

Maybe you can make the argument that hunting European players for the MLS is silly because they don't want to come here, well the same can be said for South Americans I'd think. It would be stupid to think that the Brazilians are the best most noticeable players, we all know there are amazing players that can come out of the other countries listed. Oh, and by the way, my Spanish Asst has the best recruiting stats as well, you'd think he'd have the best ideas, but he still has Brazil on the brain too.

So again, whats the deal with all the Brazilians SI? Something you might wanna take a look at if you haven't and find out for FM11.

Now as to why I can't have a scout, this brings up another issue. So since 10.3 they fixed how the Board handles scouting. My teams board says they won't allow any scouting of other countries. In 10.2 they said that but didn't actually restrict you if you wanted to anyway, 10.3 enforces this by simply denying all scout signings. Ok, so you are trying to make it more realistic, that's cool.

But hey, they don't say you can't scout your own country and besides that, without being able to hire a scout you can't scout opponents and in the MLS you can't scout the draft (a big issue). So SI, good attempt but by not allowing any scouts at all you really handcuff a team and force much more micro management by needing to tell your best recruiting coach to scout each and every single player you want to look at individually, very annoying especially if you are doing a lot of hunting. You want to limit where you can scout based on the board, fine gray out the other countries. Sure saying no scouts might be easier to code but it just makes worse issues, imo anyway.

The recommendations will be biased towards players who would actually be interested to sign for you. Top players from Europe will only sign for a MLS club way after they have peaked, so maybe the Brazlian players who are willing to sign for you are the best options in terms of quality and value for money.

That would seem to be the case, of the people that would come to the league the Brazilians are the best players... but isn't that kind of a kick below the belt to other countries like Argentina? I mean the game makes it look like Brazilians are supermen like players compared to other countries like this, seems kind of silly to me because we know that's not the case. Sure they are an extremely strong country in football terms but it's not like the rest are handicapped.

*shrug*Just seems really weird, especially if Stockport has the same results. Odd.

But then again, why would a coach recommend you a player in a different continent, while he is Spanish himself (left alone that he speaks Spanish and Brazilians speak Portugese, so they won`t even speak the same language)? It`s not because those players are really well known, because I have often never heard of them, nor do they have a huge reputation (often even unemployed). Now, how exactly are you going to find a player who is both unknown and unemployed in a different country/continent? And especially not when you`re a coach, who generally doesn`t scout much - and especially not somewhere in a different continent. I would like my coaches to actually coach my players rather than fly across the world to go see players I never told him about.

But then again, why would a coach recommend you a player in a different continent, while he is Spanish himself (left alone that he speaks Spanish and Brazilians speak Portugese, so they won`t even speak the same language)? It`s not because those players are really well known, because I have often never heard of them, nor do they have a huge reputation (often even unemployed). Now, how exactly are you going to find a player who is both unknown and unemployed in a different country/continent? And especially not when you`re a coach, who generally doesn`t scout much - and especially not somewhere in a different continent. I would like my coaches to actually coach my players rather than fly across the world to go see players I never told him about.

Agreed... this is just one reason it seems so odd.

But especially when I have European staff and they have literally never recommended a single European player, you'd think there would be at least a couple that aren't top league material that would still be good enough for lower league. Especially when you consider what Gentleman said... they are finding these really obscure Brazilians but there is no one at all from their own country they know of?

2 words... common sense

Archived