What is a suitable laptop for Football Manager 2011?

I had endless problems downloading software and adjusting my graphics card last year in order to get the game to run on my laptop, and this was still without the 3D match engine. As a long-term and huge fan of the game I've decided I'm just going to purchase a new laptop for the upcoming version to gain the full experience. Now; I'm going to get the laptop now in order to start my upcoming A Level work on it so I was wondering if someone could give me sufficient specifications a laptop would need for the game to run well or a simple reccomendation, my limit is probably £400.00 but obviously the cheaper the better! I'm sure this thread will be useful for others who need to know what laptop machines are appropriate. Thanks in advance for your help!

Difficult to answer this since the specs wont be made available probably until the demo is available. However I think something with at least a 2ghz processor, at least 3gb ram and its own graphics card should be more than enough for fm 11.

For me it has to be a laptop though. I need one and can't afford it aswell as a desktop computer. Do these ones look ok?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/dell-inspiron-1546-red-04927946-pdt.html and http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/dell-i...84297-pdt.html

And do you think I should get the slightly more expensive one?

If you can afford it then get one with an icore processor, its own graphics memory(not shared) and a 64bit operating system because if its only 32bit and the computer has 4gb ram then you will only have access to about 3.3gb of that 4gb.

is this laptop gonna work well for fm 2011???

Studio 1749 : Intel i7-620M(2.66GHz) Mobile CPU

200-73012 N0874905

230-11302 Display : 17.3in High Definition+ (1600X900) TL Multi Touch

214-10194 Palmrest : Silver Chainlink with Black Chainlink Cover only

319-10205 Software : Facial Recognition

319-10425 Camera : Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Camera (Touch Screen Only)

320-11196 LCD Back Cover : Black Chainlink (Touch Screen Only)

340-21513 Ship Accessory : English Docs

340-21534 Resource DVD : Studio 1749 Diagnostics and Drivers

370-15986 Memory : 8192MB (2x4096) 1066MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

400-20330 Hard Drive : 500GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)

429-15349 Optical Drive : 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Roxio Burn software

450-12188 Power Cord : UK 1M

450-12232 Power Supply : Inspiron 90W AC Adapter

451-11147 Battery : Primary 6-cell 56W/HR LI-ION

460-10282 Carry Case : Not Included

490-12038 Graphics : 1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

555-11434 Wireless : Dell Wireless 1397 (802.11 b/g) Mini Card European

555-12548 Wireless : Wireless Label CI7

583-13195 Keyboard : Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Backlit Keyboard

619-25677 Operating System : English Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)

hope so never spent so much on a laptop!

• 3 months later...

I know, epic bump. Didn't want to start a new topic though.

How well will this laptop run FM2011? I can currently only run Small DB and 1 league, with roughly 5000 players, but would like something that can run a load of leagues and a large DB without over-heating and the fan going mental. I would say £500 is my limit but anything sub £400 would be excellent.

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-ACER-AS5742G-Laptop/681415#fulldetails

I was looking for a small laptop that would allow me to play FM11 at a good speed and eventually settled for a second-hand Dell XPS 1340. I paid £380 for it and am really pleased so far. It's a Core2Duo 2.4GHz, 4gb ram and Nvidia 9600M GT.

Before I had Asus 1215n, which was an ultraportable with great battery life and switchable graphics. It cost me £450 new but the game performance was slightly disappointing.

I'd say you should be looking for the following if you don't want to wait for too long between the in-game days:

- CPU at least 2.4 GHz - Core2Duo, i3, i5 or i7. If you don't want to spend more than £500 on a new laptop then you can definitely take i7 out of the equation and i5 probably too. Core2Duo works fine, even though it's an older technology

- 3GB of ram

- dedicated graphics, so one of the NVidia or ATI cards.

Might be a bit tough within the £500 budget, but if you were to buy second-hand then you could probably get a laptop that will run FM11 and even FM12 (provided the spec requirement doesn't increase too much over the year :p )

I'd recommend you start looking on your local Gumtree if you want a used machine.

Oh, and don't buy from places like Comet or Currys - they usually have shops on High street, which means you end up paying their massive overheads by purchasing a laptop at a rip-off price. Seriously, get a second-hand machine - you'll save at least 30%. I've bought loads of second-hand electronics (a 50 inch LG TV for £200, iphone 3GS 16 GB for £180 - all in great condition) and never had any technical issues whatsoever. As long as the seller is not a pikey chav then you should be fine. Just your common sense.

Finally, if second-hand laptops are absolutely out of the question then buy an Asus. They are reasonably cheap and are offer THE most reliable laptops on the market (not an opinion - fact, google it if you don't believe). I think there's the U35JC, that costs around £650, but really kicks a... with small form factor, great battery life and excellent performance. I was considering getting one, but eventually went for the Dell - it was half the price, which means I can afford to get a new machine when they release FM12 :)

Alternatively, you can got to the notebookreviewforum, there's a sub-forum where people ask for advice on what laptop they should buy.

If you can afford it then get one with an icore processor, its own graphics memory(not shared) and a 64bit operating system because if its only 32bit and the computer has 4gb ram then you will only have access to about 3.3gb of that 4gb.

So what ? football manger is A 32bit program its self. Also FM will not use more than 1100-1300mb of physical ram at any time anyway as tested by my self.

• 4 weeks later...

Didnt want to create another thread but would this laptop perform well for FM11:

Processor Intel® Pentium® Processor T4500

- 2.30 GHz

- 800 MHz FSB

- 1 MB L2 Cache

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

RAM - 4GB DDR2 RAM

Graphics card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

- Up to 1695MB shared graphics memory

Screen type LCD Widescreen

Screen resolution - WXGA

- 1366 x 768

Screen size 15.6"

Screen features - LED backlight

Hard drive - 500GB SATA hard drive

Sorry for double post but how does this one look... its a bit over budget but maybe could stretch to it:

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-460M Processor

- 2.53 GHz (2.8 GHz max Turbo Frequency)

- 2.5 GT/s DMI

- 3 MB L3 Cache

RAM - 4GB installed DDR3 RAM

Graphics card Intel HD graphics

Screen type Widescreen LCD

Screen resolution - WXGA

- 1366 x 768 pixels

Screen size 15.6"

Screen features 16:9 aspect ratio

Hard drive 500GB SATA

Sorry for double post but how does this one look... its a bit over budget but maybe could stretch to it:

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-460M Processor

- 2.53 GHz (2.8 GHz max Turbo Frequency)

- 2.5 GT/s DMI

- 3 MB L3 Cache

RAM - 4GB installed DDR3 RAM

Graphics card Intel HD graphics

Screen type Widescreen LCD

Screen resolution - WXGA

- 1366 x 768 pixels

Screen size 15.6"

Screen features 16:9 aspect ratio

Hard drive 500GB SATA

It's a good laptop, but you will absolutely need a dedicated graphics card with at least 500mb of memory to get much if any 3D performance. The system you list has integrated graphics which is pants for 3D rendering. You could probably downgrade to an i3 processor and 3Gb of RAM and still get good performance.

If you can spend up to about £550 you could maybe get a Sony Vaio with the right spec. My Vaio is very similar to the above but with 1gb dedicated graphics and it runs FM11 perfectly well. If not try a Dell, you should be able to get one for reasonable money. This one looks quite good:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Dell-Laptops/inspiron-15r/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-15r&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~oid=uk~en~20211~ft_anav_n00n5052lp~~

Good luck!

It's a good laptop, but you will absolutely need a dedicated graphics card with at least 500mb of memory to get much if any 3D performance. The system you list has integrated graphics which is pants for 3D rendering. You could probably downgrade to an i3 processor and 3Gb of RAM and still get good performance.

If you can spend up to about £550 you could maybe get a Sony Vaio with the right spec. My Vaio is very similar to the above but with 1gb dedicated graphics and it runs FM11 perfectly well. If not try a Dell Studio series, you should be able to get one for reasonable money.

Good luck!

Sony Vaio = overpriced in a pretty box, with turgid battery life.

And you do NOT need a dedicated graphics card to get good 3D performance in FM. My recently purchased laptop has a i3 processor and 3Gb RAM, with the Intel HD graphics chipset. And guess what, the 3D engine works like a dream!

you do NOT need a dedicated graphics card to get good 3D performance in FM. My recently purchased laptop has a i3 processor and 3Gb RAM, with the Intel HD graphics chipset. And guess what, the 3D engine works like a dream!

Hey I'm very surprised by that, but fair enough! My understanding was that dedicated graphics is pretty much a must for any 3D rendering, though I guess those in FM may not be glossy enough to really test modern processors, especially the I series...

EDIT: however, cannot agree about what you say about the Vaio. I spend about 3 months researching laptops in the spring/summer before plumping for a I5, 4Gb system with 1Gb Mobility Radeon 5650 graphics card. This cost about £600 including VAT. At the time, in my price range, that honestly was the best value system I could find on the market, especially the E series. Other systems may look better value but if you look closely they have a weak or no graphics card. Or they advertise a 1gb gfx card for example but it is an old 4000 series Mobility Radeon that has no DirectX11 support. Vaio may seem slighly (and only slightly) higher priced but they don't seem to cut corners with any components.

Yes the battery life is not amazing but there are many power saving tricks, and using a game like FM will drain battery anyway - you're going to want to be plugged in most of the time.

Does anyone know if a Lenovo g550 2958 with the following spec will support the 3D graphics?

Intel T6570 2.10G

RAM: 3072M

500GB HD

Graphics - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0

Thanks!

I got FM10 & FM11 loaded via Steam on my laptop. They run quite well with full graphics & 80k player database & around 50 leagues. Its an Acer Aspire 7540, 2.0ghz Dual-core with 3gb RAM & Ati HD4200 Radeon graphics. Not bad for £430 :-)

• 5 months later...

Archived