Is the players agent a step in the wrong direction?

I can't say I'm looking forward to negotiating a contract with an agent.

I'll start off low and end up paying more than the player asked for in the first place.

I think transfers should go something like this.

You find a player you want (either by scout or own knowledge)

You tell your board and they negotiate

The board tell you then Player X is not available / Cost £XXX / Cost £XXX plus Player Y

you decide if you want to go ahead

The board then tell you how much wage the player wants or say unable to reach an agreement

If he agrees you say yes or no

Renewals would just be the last part.

Selling would depend on the players status, transfer and team but would run on the same lines

Of course you would get better deals if your board were good and depending on how much they interfere could settle the deal either way at any stage.

Would need extra points of interaction between board and manager say telling them to renegotiate for example but you could of course get sacked yourself for interfering.

I'm looking forward to see how it works - and the previous method of transfers was certanly dated shall we say. But why have SI introduced agents now? Its not as if agents have suddenly come inot the game or there has been a great surge in agents like a traditional craze! It will certainly add an extra dimension to the game, and maybe we will not be able to cherry pick te best players in the world as we can do now, Its a nice idea but in practise I am not sure that it will work. I hope ot does though!

I think I read in a previosu thread or maybe it was the video, but they have had some ideas like agents and dynamic leagues bubblign away for a few years but only wanted to introduce them when they were 100% squeaky clean...I am therefore hoping that the introduction of agents will be great!

I'm looking forward to see how it works - and the previous method of transfers was certanly dated shall we say. But why have SI introduced agents now? Its not as if agents have suddenly come inot the game or there has been a great surge in agents like a traditional craze! It will certainly add an extra dimension to the game, and maybe we will not be able to cherry pick te best players in the world as we can do now, Its a nice idea but in practise I am not sure that it will work. I hope ot does though!

from what i have seen. they have been working on it for a while and they wanted to make sure it was good. I could be wrong though so dont hold it against me.

EDIT: beaten to it.

I dont think it will take a long time - there will be just a bit more bartering and negotiating! I just hope my potantial signings dont have a greedy agent!

Cheers for the heads up regarding agents been in the pipe line for some time - thanks guys!

not really sure what I think about it... at first it's like, "hmmm, interesting steps". But the more I've thought about it, you already negotiate with clubs and players over transfers and contract, agents is just going to be the same thing but you are 'talking' to the agent not the player. Not that in-game you ever feeling like you are talking to anyone, it's just email transactions basically (which it likely is IRL, aside from at least 1 face to face meeting).

So are the agents acutally going to play a big enough part in the game to justify all the time and work that went into creating them when there are likely to still be AI issues or other things that could improve the game more?

That's the question and I'm kind of doubting they will mean much more to the game at all, so hopefully they didn't sink a ton of man-hours into coding them.

I have to say I'm looking forward to dealing with agents in the game, assuming that all aspects have been covered.

For instance you'd expect:

• Not all players to have agents
  • Some agents to be very very pleasurable to work with time and time again
  • Some agents not wanting to work with certain managers or indeed clubs, or indeed chairman, regardless of where they move to
  • Some players should sack their agents based on the fact that they believe they are not acting in their best wishes in a particular deal
  • etc

Providing those little nuances are detailed I'd expect it to be REALLY fun and bring some depth.

I don't like the idea of leaving the negotiations to the chairman as this isn't always the case. Sometimes in real life chairman deal with the negotiations and the manager simply identifies the targets. Sometimes the chairman gives the manager a budget to work to and signs off on all deals but allows the Manager to conduct arrangements, sometimes it's a bit of both.

Agents are part of "the modern game" and as such should be included in FM. My only worry is that the negotions could end up feeling very generic if SI dont iplement it correctly. I do, however, have full faith inSI and can't wait to get my hands on FM2011

I think transfers should go something like this.

You find a player you want (either by scout or own knowledge)

You tell your board and they negotiate

The board tell you then Player X is not available / Cost £XXX / Cost £XXX plus Player Y

you decide if you want to go ahead

The board then tell you how much wage the player wants or say unable to reach an agreement

If he agrees you say yes or no

Renewals would just be the last part.

I second this, actually. Had the same idea for a while now myself, would definitely want to avoid the harassment of negotiating financial details as a manager.

Manager's job IMHO is to pick a player and propose a squad status (first team, backup, etc), then leave it to the powers-that-be to work things out with the other club, agents, players and whatnot.

Actually agents are already in the game kind of. When you negotiate with a player, it's his agent who informs you about their demands - usually they're too high. Most players will sign for less. This means you are already overpaying your players in FM10, not much is gonna change ;)

We should be able to bond relationships with agents and would ask " do you have any clients that can play as a Ball Winning Midfielder in my team ?" then we could analyse the possibilities and decide what to do.. after making some transfers with certain managers they should come up with suggesting and offering some players to us ( without our demand) If they implemented thisi type of interaction to the game than, that would be a step in the right direction; otherwise that feautre would't turn on much people in my opinion...

i also think that SI should implement some features which can be called as a "revolutionary", which would make the game more dynamic than ever.. I feel that the game is evolving too slow, taking too small steps every year.. So that peoples excitement would linger till the end of the season.. Every new game should make us forget the previous game.. As a huge fan of FM i'm losing my motivation to play after a couple of months just because of the game itsef becoming too repetative and the quantity of new features are less than it should be.. Finally i think this issue is not only about the quantity of new features, more importantly it is about the quality of the new features meaning that producers should implement the features in a best way possible.. ( shouldn't always think like we could mend or improve this step next year) hope that i was clear enough.. best regards..

There is suppose to be more options in interacting with the board in fm11 but I would like them to take more of a roll in the game.

As i said at the beginning irl the board do most of the negotiations.

This would lead to many new interactions like

being able to ask for more (or less) control over fees extra in your contract.

asking the board for a one off deal to be done because a star player has become available

Your scouts would become more important because they opinion would influence the board

Your backroom staff could stand up for you over a player the board want to sell.

etc

I also think that the transfer pot should be a range and if you buy better players they will give you more ( or better players in their minds)

We should be able to bond relationships with agents and would ask " do you have any clients that can play as a Ball Winning Midfielder in my team ?" then we could analyse the possibilities and decide what to do.. after making some transfers with certain managers they should come up with suggesting and offering some players to us ( without our demand) If they implemented thisi type of interaction to the game than, that would be a step in the right direction; otherwise that feautre would't turn on much people in my opinion...

i also think that SI should implement some features which can be called as a "revolutionary", which would make the game more dynamic than ever.. I feel that the game is evolving too slow, taking too small steps every year.. So that peoples excitement would linger till the end of the season.. Every new game should make us forget the previous game.. As a huge fan of FM i'm losing my motivation to play after a couple of months just because of the game itsef becoming too repetative and the quantity of new features are less than it should be.. Finally i think this issue is not only about the quantity of new features, more importantly it is about the quality of the new features meaning that producers should implement the features in a best way possible.. ( shouldn't always think like we could mend or improve this step next year) hope that i was clear enough.. best regards..

I agree. In real life, agents for South American players wanting to move will send out DVDs and promo material on their players to European clubs (Tim Vickery talks about this a lot); it'd be nice to have that kind of feature available.

Archived