Offside rule revised

The fact that most football fans don't know what does or doesn't make an 'active player' doesn't really help. Neither does the myth that making a move towards the ball counts as interfering with play. It doesn't! You have to actually touch the ball.

Not too far from the OP, I would also like to see added

- the advantage rule : please let the action go if we still have the ball (and ideally, consider coming back to the fault)

- the red card rule : last defender cutting a counterattack sould be sent off straight away

If we could have 2 of those 3 rules added, or even one, it would be already awesome :)

- the red card rule : last defender cutting a counterattack sould be sent off straight away

That's kind of already in, and isn't necessarily the case anyway. It is only a dismissal offence if it is an 'obvious goalscoring opportunity', which certainly isn't always the case. The same applies to fouls and handballs by the goalkeeper. Yellow applies much more often than red.

That's kind of already in, and isn't necessarily the case anyway. It is only a dismissal offence if it is an 'obvious goalscoring opportunity', which certainly isn't always the case. The same applies to fouls and handballs by the goalkeeper. Yellow applies much more often than red.

Yeah, I've seen 2 red cards of this since 10.3, one by a defender being alone and making a bad tackle, and one on a keeper for a hand ball right on the edge of the area... that one surprised me, keeper picked it up like the AI thought he was in the box but he really wasn't.

To the OP, yeah it always sucks when you get a goal called back due to offsides on a guy that was never near the ball.

Yeah, I've seen 2 red cards of this since 10.3, one by a defender being alone and making a bad tackle, and one on a keeper for a hand ball right on the edge of the area... that one surprised me, keeper picked it up like the AI thought he was in the box but he really wasn't.

To the OP, yeah it always sucks when you get a goal called back due to offsides on a guy that was never near the ball.

With the keeper one, was a player running through ready to score? If not, it should be yellow, not red

The fact that most football fans don't know what does or doesn't make an 'active player' doesn't really help. Neither does the myth that making a move towards the ball counts as interfering with play. It doesn't! You have to actually touch the ball.

the interfering with play part is true, but there is also interfering with an opponent aspect of offsides, and in that case you do not have to touch the ball

according to FIFAs website

Once it has been established that a player is in an offside position, the second condition is evaluated in order to decide whether the player is involved in active play by

- interfering with play; or

- interfering with an opponent; or

- gaining an advantage by being in that position.

What does interfering with an opponent mean?

The International Football Association Board defines it as

- preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movements,

- or by making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.

- preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movements,

- or by making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.

sounds like a foul to me... the funny part is that last line though... So if a player is so gullible you can fake him out it doesn't matter because the rules cover his tail? lol, I know that's not the point but it sounds silly like that.

With the keeper one, was a player running through ready to score? If not, it should be yellow, not red

Oh yeah, I had a guy behind the D line going hard for the ball. So the red was correct, just surprised it was called a hand ball, even to me it looked like he was in the box. Maybe just a mistake by the official, but it was interesting to see. Gotta dread seeing your keeper get his walking orders.

the interfering with play part is true, but there is also interfering with an opponent aspect of offsides, and in that case you do not have to touch the ball

according to FIFAs website

Once it has been established that a player is in an offside position, the second condition is evaluated in order to decide whether the player is involved in active play by

- interfering with play; or

- interfering with an opponent; or

- gaining an advantage by being in that position.

Correct, without even looking at that, I can tell you that you can be offside if you:

-Interfere with play

-Interfere with an opponent

-Gain an advantage

Without even looking at the last one which causes many, many problems, the first one says that you have to play the ball. Interfering with an opponent is different entirely, but people use the term 'interfering with play' to describe this.

In any case, a move towards the ball does not count as offside

Gaining an advantage should be removed from the laws, I think. It effectively is just a special variation on interfere with play (if the ball comes off the post to a player and he touches it).

Well done ism-scfc :)

Archived