Wage Structure

I've played Football Manager/Championship manager for years. When I first started out £50,000 a week was considered crazy money for players (back in the CM 97/98 days) that figure stuck with me and every game that followed I would find it very difficult to offer players more than £50,000 a week.

I often play with lower league teams which means I keep a close eye on finances. Invariably when I play with the big sides like Man Utd I remain unwilling to splash the cash (£80,000 a week still seems outrageous dollar to me) and this ultimately prevents me from signing the world beater at the top of his game.

Naturally as time has gone on the figure for "Crazy money" would have gone up, however I don't normally buy FM every year (last one I bought was FM 07 and I had a burn on FM 09 but only as Notts County, so wasn't exactly throwing the cash around).

With the likes of Ronaldo and Kaka being transferred for and paid such high sums of money - How much would you say would be a decent cut off point in terms of wages? e.g. A maximum of £70k a week with those special players recieving more.

Cheers

contracto.th.jpg

I won the league with the team in that screenshot but when I did it I did not have Ramsey and only got Sissoko to try out, I know that there are cheaper options than him out there. I am guessing that you could build a successful team with 60k weekly budget especially if you buy the players while they are young and don't include a yearly wage rise in their contracts.

That's the thing Gio, wouldn't say I am a bad player at FM but in all honesty I haven't won the Champs. League as often as I would have liked. I focus on signing players when they are young and their contract demands are lower as opposed to the Ronaldo's and Messi's of this world that will help win me the trophies now.

Think I am going to have to cut loose abit in the new game (actually cannot remember being this excited over a Footie Manager game!).

wages2.th.jpg

I knew I had a screenshot somewhere, I won the league with this side as you can see the wages are pretty low with only Gourcuff on more than 60k a week, I broke my self imposed wage structure to sign him as he is world class and did not command a transfer fee. I scouted lots of places and checked some random teams to find some decent regens and for the first time I lucked out twice getting two very very good players through my youth system. So it is possible to do extremely well with a 60k a week budget especially if you buy young players only trouble I might have is once I become more successful the players will want bigger contracts.

Acid, your first screenshot shows a wage bill that is quite high actually. Take the average Premier League side....I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that 14 of the squad wouldn't be on £30k+. I'm not "in the know" but I have heard that a lot of players get a lower weekly wage supplemented by playing bonuses and the like.

I understand and agree with your point but the OP was talking about how much to offer one player not how much the whole squad is on. My total wage budget is £1 million a week, to be honest I have no clue what weekly wages EPL clubs pay in real life would be interesting to see though.

I understand and agree with your point but the OP was talking about how much to offer one player not how much the whole squad is on. My total wage budget is £1 million a week, to be honest I have no clue what weekly wages EPL clubs pay in real life would be interesting to see though.

Id say the big clubs would be spending roughly around £1m a week.

I have the same problem except I have a hard time offering more than the quivalent of 15k £ . I only manage keeping a low wage budget, if I take a team from a bottom division, restructure the whole squad from scratch, then take it to the top division.

Right now i'm in a club which had a tycoon take it over, and suddenly I have almost unlimited funds, which seems to make my players totally unreasonable regarding wages. Just getting promotion to CCC with highest earner at around 2,5k £, and everyone I want to sign or extend contract with, wants 10-15k£ and that even if it in some cases would be 20 times their old wage. Absurd.

I have the same problem except I have a hard time offering more than the quivalent of 15k £ . I only manage keeping a low wage budget, if I take a team from a bottom division, restructure the whole squad from scratch, then take it to the top division.

Right now i'm in a club which had a tycoon take it over, and suddenly I have almost unlimited funds, which seems to make my players totally unreasonable regarding wages. Just getting promotion to CCC with highest earner at around 2,5k £, and everyone I want to sign or extend contract with, wants 10-15k£ and that even if it in some cases would be 20 times their old wage. Absurd.

When you reach the top level it seems that even players you sign from the lower leagues expect big money. In the older games you could keep wages low my signing hidden gems - but now they are all after the cash nowadays!

Archived