"Offering contract" philosophy

What sort of contract package do you generally offer a player after you've had a bid accepted by his club?

Do you just offer him what he wants, offer him maybe one and a half times as much to make sure you secure him if there's other clubs with bids accepted?

Do you look through the other clubs' squads in order to try to work out what they've offered him?

Or do you just offer him what you think he's worth in comparison to the players you already have?

What sort of contract package do you generally offer a player after you've had a bid accepted by his club?

Do you just offer him what he wants, offer him maybe one and a half times as much to make sure you secure him if there's other clubs with bids accepted?

Do you look through the other clubs' squads in order to try to work out what they've offered him?

Or do you just offer him what you think he's worth in comparison to the players you already have and your wage budget?

I do this and this most of the time.

I tend to typically offer what he wants, depending upon the situation, I mean if I'm a lower league club I might even have to haggle down. If there's another club interested however I always offer a higher sign-on fee, especially if it's a free transfer anyway, as It seems to help in tempting players to sign.

It completely depends really.

If I am after a player as a squad player I'll offer them less than they want. If it's a player I really want, multiple clubs want or I am on a deadline, I'll offer more than he wanted.

I have to say that mainly I offer them what they want if it's within my budget but ALWAYS offer them less than they want for a signing on fee.

I've found in the past that if I've just offered the player exactly what he wants, he ends up signing for another team for much higher wages - has this happened to you?

Saying that, I've also been turned down by players who go to another club for much lower wages, must be down to club reputation I suppose?

I've found in the past that if I've just offered the player exactly what he wants, he ends up signing for another team for much higher wages - has this happened to you?

Saying that, I've also been turned down by players who go to another club for much lower wages, must be down to club reputation I suppose?

I think is a number of factors including those 2. Also both have happened to me before as well.

I usually offer each player what I believe they're worth, unless it is a high profile player.. then I try to offer above what he wants in order to get him.

Also, if a player has served me well I often give them a huge wage boost as a "thank you".. :p - f.eks. everytime I'm Real Madrid I give Raul, Guti and Iker the longest and best contracts possible until they retire.. :p

After a few drinks and some FM one evening, I woke up to find I had a new player, fair to middling backup but I had him on 225,000 a week with maxed out bonuses and 25% increase per year etc. 11.75m signing on fee. I must have found it hilarious that evening, but waking up to find my entire wage structure ruined makes me a complete bellend.

After a few drinks and some FM one evening, I woke up to find I had a new player, fair to middling backup but I had him on 225,000 a week with maxed out bonuses and 25% increase per year etc. 11.75m signing on fee. I must have found it hilarious that evening, but waking up to find my entire wage structure ruined makes me a complete bellend.

Well, if you play under influence, prepare for the consequences :D

As most people here, I offer them what they want unless there is a competition.

Recently I offered my 33 y/o Victor Anichebe a 3 year contract with 13M sign on a fee as a gratitude.

I don't even pick him as sub 99% of time but I was out of strikers due to injuries, and he scored 2 goals against Real Madrid in Champions League match.

I generally offer them what they want, unless they're wanting silly money. Two examples;

Argentine newgen at Marseille, on £44k/week, he wanted £130k/week. I won't triple a players wages and make him the most highly paid player at my club without seeing him play first, so I offer to meet him in the middle at £80k/week. I'd like to think he'd accept it, but in the meanwhile, Man City came in with £200k/week and he went there instead.

Also, there's a canny Turkish player at Galatasary, I can sign him for about ~£8m, but he's on £115k/week, and wants nothing less with me. I've got a bit of a wagecap, and won't pay anyone more than £100k/week, so for the last three transfer windows he's rejected me.

I generally offer them what they want, unless they're wanting silly money. Two examples;

Argentine newgen at Marseille, on £44k/week, he wanted £130k/week. I won't triple a players wages and make him the most highly paid player at my club without seeing him play first, so I offer to meet him in the middle at £80k/week. I'd like to think he'd accept it, but in the meanwhile, Man City came in with £200k/week and he went there instead.

Also, there's a canny Turkish player at Galatasary, I can sign him for about ~£8m, but he's on £115k/week, and wants nothing less with me. I've got a bit of a wagecap, and won't pay anyone more than £100k/week, so for the last three transfer windows he's rejected me.

The 2nd player who keeps rejecting you. Do you give a bigger signing on fee and maybe a bit more in bonuses. he may not join but its worth a shot.

If I'm the only one bidding then I'll look at the most recent scout report as sometimes they ask for a lot more than they would accept. If there are other clubs in the chase I don't take any risks and often offer a bit more than they ask for, depending on who the other clubs are.

If it's a squad player or an unproven player, I usually try to haggle them down. If it's someone I want, though, I usually just give them what they're asking for.

Also: I ALWAYS eliminate yearly raises; I'd rather add some on your contract up front than have a raise that I'm locked into. It's not such a big deal with older players, but most youth players ask for a 25% yearly raise; I usually up their salary and/or signing bonus in exchange for eliminating that clause, and it's rarely caused problems.

If teams of better or equal status as mine has an offer accepted for a player I am trying to sign I generally give them very generous offers e.g. 10k pw more than they asked for. It isn't financially sound all of the time, but when I want a player I will strive to get them.

When a giant team declare interest (or I suspect will declare interest) in one of my stars I generally boost their wages up and set a very high asking price to keep them with me.

Not the best thing to do I guess, but when I want a player I usually get my way.

i take a look at what he wants and if i think its okay then i just hit the "accept" button.

if i'm sure i'm not the only one offering him a contract i let him bath in benjamins to make sure i'll get him.

If I'm the only club bidding, then I offer a little less than what the player wants. If a lot of clubs want a player, then I offer a little more than what he wants (well it depends on the player too).

And here's a little tip: if you're bidding for a transfer listed player that wants to leave, offer a lot less than what he wants. He usually would ask for the selling club to pay part of his salary and sometimes the other club accepts and you get a good player on a very inexpensive wage. :)

If I'm the only club bidding, then I offer a little less than what the player wants. If a lot of clubs want a player, then I offer a little more than what he wants (well it depends on the player too).

Exactly this for me. Usually knock a few thousand off when renewing contracts as well if I can get away with it.

Archived