New UEFA Cup-tied ruling

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/24032010/58/champions-league-uefa-relax-rules-cup-tied-players.html

A new ruling is in place regarding players being cup-tied, hope this makes its way into the game.

To sum up; players who play for a team in Preliminary round of UEFA competition with club A, can play in the competition proper for club B provided club A was eliminated.

Only starts from next season, so probably in FM12 at best.

And I believe clubs can only register one such player?

Maybe it will be implemented for it to take effect in game from the second season?

To be fair, this rule will have very little impact. Look at which clubs are out of the competition by qualification round 3. Only minnows. Few of their players will move to other clubs which play internationally.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/24032010/58/champions-league-uefa-relax-rules-cup-tied-players.html

A new ruling is in place regarding players being cup-tied, hope this makes its way into the game.

To sum up; players who play for a team in Preliminary round of UEFA competition with club A, can play in the competition proper for club B provided club A was eliminated.

This story is from five months ago, so I would expect a decision to have been made on it a while ago. Sometimes rule changes are put in to happen in the future (like the 25 man squad) but I'm not sure if this is really significant enough to warrant that. We'll just have to wait and see!

To be fair, this rule will have very little impact. Look at which clubs are out of the competition by qualification round 3. Only minnows. Few of their players will move to other clubs which play internationally.

Not true, look at the teams that went out last night and some of the quality players that went with them, Fabiano at Sevilla, Cassano and Pazzini at Samp, Lukaku at Anderlecht.

This story is from five months ago, so I would expect a decision to have been made on it a while ago. Sometimes rule changes are put in to happen in the future (like the 25 man squad) but I'm not sure if this is really significant enough to warrant that. We'll just have to wait and see!

I think my above point illustrates the significance. IRL Spurs are linked with Fabiano, without this rule he's not worth going for. Assuming we beat Young Boys tonight.

I think my above point illustrates the significance. IRL Spurs are linked with Fabiano, without this rule he's not worth going for. Assuming we beat Young Boys tonight.

I think I've misread it, if the rule is in place this season (not next) then it has to go in, no doubt.

Not true, look at the teams that went out last night and some of the quality players that went with them, Fabiano at Sevilla, Cassano and Pazzini at Samp, Lukaku at Anderlecht.

You have misunderstood the rule. It only applies to players of clubs which have been eliminated in the round before the current playoff round. And eliminated means completely out, not just out of CL and entering EL.

This only applies to very few players of interest.

I know this well cause I'm one of the people who have talked to UEFA demanding this.

You have misunderstood the rule. It only applies to players of clubs which have been eliminated in the round before the current playoff round. And eliminated means completely out, not just out of CL and entering EL.

This only applies to very few players of interest.

I know this well cause I'm one of the people who have talked to UEFA demanding this.

Indeed I have misunderstood, in my defence that article wasn' the clearest!

Anyway checked the official rules with UEFA and you are indeed correct.

Who are you and why have UEFA been listening to you? Thats not meant in a rude way, just curious.

I'm representing my club (quite big one) at the ECA (the G18 successor group) , chaired by Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, where we talk to UEFA about stuff like that (financial fair play mainly atm of course).

This one was a wish from all clubs which Mr. Platini opposed a lot at first but later he was convinced that this new rule is to the benefit of the small clubs foremost who can now afford to keep their best players while trying to qualify for the lucrative group stages and still be able to sell them after dropping out.

We would have liked to have the playoff stage included in the exception as well and also talk about the definition of prior elimination (take the Samp example), but this is a first step with which we are happy.

:)

I'm representing my club (quite big one) at the ECA, chaired by Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, where we talk to UEFA about stuff like that (financial fair play mainly atm of course).

This one was a wish from all clubs which Mr. Platini opposed a lot at first but later he was convinced that this new rule is to the benefit of the small clubs foremost who can now afford to keep their best players while trying to qualify for the lucrative group stages and still be able to sell them after dropping out.

We would have liked to have the playoff stage included in the exception as well and also talk about the definition of prior elimination (take the Samp example), but this is a first step with which we are happy.

:)

I honestly didn't expect you to answer with anything other than 'I can't/won't talk about it'. Fair play and good work :thup:

Archived