A few issues about transfers that always bug me.......

Hey all I have been away from FM 10 for a long time (wasting my time with FM live) and I am way to lazy to search so please don't flame me about that.

I have always wondered about these issues and if they have been fixed or if there is an explanation for them.

1) Why can the AI sign players for way less than I can? For example as AC Milan I just tried to sing Pjanic and they reject 13 million from me and then he signs with Fiointina for 6 million? Why?

2) Most often when I sign a player they want a crazy appearance fee. Like twice as much as my superstars get. Westerman just asked for 18.5k per appearance. Why?

3) Why do my players get unsettled so easily, but yet I can't unsettle any of my targets?

From my own personal experience...

1) Either because I've annoyed every other manager, or simply because they know I have more money, so they'll want more of it from me.

2) I don't know

3) Not true. I managed to unsettle some Argentine starlet, one of those players who you would never normally get, and kept him unsettled for the two years it took for his contract to run down. Man City still beat me to him on contract demands (he was on £80k/week, I offered £120k/week, Man City went straight in with £215k/week), but it can be done.

1) Why can the AI sign players for way less than I can? For example as AC Milan I just tried to sing Pjanic and they reject 13 million from me and then he signs with Fiointina for 6 million? Why?

Maybe those two managers are friends. Try sweet-talking the manager before you're about to attempt a big trnasfer.

Hey all I have been away from FM 10 for a long time (wasting my time with FM live) and I am way to lazy to search so please don't flame me about that.

I have always wondered about these issues and if they have been fixed or if there is an explanation for them.

2) Most often when I sign a player they want a crazy appearance fee. Like twice as much as my superstars get. Westerman just asked for 18.5k per appearance. Why?

3) Why do my players get unsettled so easily, but yet I can't unsettle any of my targets?

1) You probably mainly offer cash up front or in installments while the AI includes bonus payments/clauses etc which aren't shown on the history screen. In your example though its also possible that Pjanic got upset that your offer was rejected and Fiorentina jumped in unsettling him forcing the club to accept a lower offer. Fiorentina might have also been on his favoured clubs list or there are staff/players there that he is friends with.

2) Never had a problem with appearance fees, are they not just a % of the wage normally?

3) Its their personality. Ambitious players with low loyalty will get unsettled easily while loyal players with lower ambition will be much less likely to have their heads turned.

why would anyone want to buy Westerman?

Pjanic went for 6 million to Fiorintina. 6 million! I saw a news item about the offer so I decided to get in on it. I offered 6 million, and they flat out rejected it (not even a counter) and then he signs a day later with Fiorintina for just 6 million.

It is symbolic of why I originally posted this thread. The AI has NO problem getting good players for cheap prices, but human managers have to pay over the top fees to get even average players.

I think FM has done a fairly good job with this actually. Playing mainly in the MLS I don't make plays for world star level players, so the average players I'm always on paying the same price as other clubs chancing after the same player. Often the difference in the contract, I don't (can't) offer as much on the contract fro the really good ones and they want the higher money. Or even if it's not more money, how many Europeans or South Americans would rather play in the MLS then one of their home leagues.

There are a lot of reasons other then money that a player might choose on team over another and that's a great aspect of the game. It would be too easy if you could just throw more money at a guy and get him every time.

What team are you and in what league are you currently playing? The player might not prefer playing in your league\country especially if he's a reasonably high profile player and you cant offer him european football for example.

Archived