Query re sons in FM11

On the FM10 I've played many 15+ season career games but not once have I had a son come through the youth team. I was wondering if there would be more chance of getting a son in FM11. As I don't think it's fair that some users can get one while others can't.

I think it would be brilliant if the chances of getting a son come through would be higher, and I know not all the "real life" managers have a son but as it's a game I thought it would be a good feature.

Think I've explained my query!

On the FM10 I've played many 15+ season career games but not once have I had a son come through the youth team. I was wondering if there would be more chance of getting a son in FM11. As I don't think it's fair that some users can get one while others can't.

I think it would be brilliant if the chances of getting a son come through would be higher, and I know not all the "real life" managers have a son but as it's a game I thought it would be a good feature.

Think I've explained my query!

I agree with you. Chances are too low IMO to have a son. As you said IRL very little managers have sons coming through their team's ranks, but still it's a game and from this game we want realism nad fun.

P.S. Of course I wouldn't want it to be too common as aussieant32 said, but I would like for chances of having the son to be raised.

On the FM10 I've played many 15+ season career games but not once have I had a son come through the youth team.

It's very stressful being a football manager so the likelihood is that if you don't already have kids before embarking on such a career the stress and pain will take it's toll on your sperm count and render you as useful as a mechanical pencil with no refills :)

Seriously though I always thought it was a waste of time as a feature.

How many managers do you know have sons in the game IRL?

Off the top of my head I can only name two: Fergie and Steve Bruce.

Tony Pulis, Kenny Dalglish, Frank Lampard (debateable whether he counts), Harry Redknapp, Johan Cruijft, Paul Ince...

It's a fair number, though the chances of getting a son need not be much higher as the number who don't have footballing sons is much higher.

Tony Pulis, Kenny Dalglish, Frank Lampard (debateable whether he counts), Harry Redknapp, Johan Cruijft, Paul Ince...

It's a fair number, though the chances of getting a son need not be much higher as the number who don't have footballing sons is much higher.

Who's Incey's son? Never heard of him actually.

Lampard Senior is a director at West Ham IIRC. Redknapp yes but Jamie's a pundit now.

The others, their sons weren't all that successful were they?

Lampard Senior is a director at West Ham IIRC. Redknapp yes but Jamie's a pundit now.

Gary Johnson also....there are many more to be fair. However it's pointless surely.....it's about as valid as saying you want "News announcement: Manager XXXX has just had a baby girl - congrats".

I believe they should increase chances of AI managers and former players having sons also brothers coming through academy's would be good.

What about that second cousin twice removed who enters the game? Or what about that long lost Mormon uncle who the family betrayed and left for dead at the battle of Bosworth!? I mean when will it end?

I suppose you could always have a 1-2 week period during the regen cycle where you can "adopt" a 14-15 yr old.......yes that was a serious comment. About as serious as the others!

Ince's son is at Liverpool- I think he's called Tom.

Alex Bruce and Darren Ferguson were hardly successful. Jordi Cruijft played for Barcelona, Manchester United and the Netherlands.

Gourcuff as well, and former players have sons growing which will be great I am sure (Pele's, Zidane's, and so on). Why only speak about having managers' sons in the game. I d be happy to see sons from stars being old when starting the game (I precise, as I am not sure I could wait 20 seasons that Ronaldo's son get a contract).

Also, speaking of "eggs", I would also enjoy more stadium named after us (I never had any so far neither sons :'( ).

SI said they have put some "jokes" in the game (in the "shops name" on the 3D ME view). Hopefully they'll add several hidden or funny stuff in there :)

Paul and Blair Sturrock too..

I had a son once - and his name was what my girlfriend plans to name her first-born child. Quite scary really.

this is very scary. FM really is a fountainof all knowledge. At least you know he will be earning a good wage!

Also, speaking of "eggs", I would also enjoy more stadium named after us

I think that happens often enough, I've had two in the same save game. No sign of a son for me though, and that's in the hundreds of seasons I've played since that feature was introduced.

I believe they should increase chances of AI managers and former players having sons also brothers coming through academy's would be good.

Brothers do come through- I've seen screenshots of Welbeck's brother and Dalla Valle's brother.

Welbeck jnr was white :o

I think that happens often enough, I've had two in the same save game. No sign of a son for me though, and that's in the hundreds of seasons I've played since that feature was introduced.

What team did you have ? With Man City in 2025 still no stadium named after me (no new stadium bought/built though, might be a reason ?)

What team did you have ? With Man City in 2025 still no stadium named after me (no new stadium bought/built though, might be a reason ?)

You do need to wait a very long time, it only happened to me twice because I've played for over 60 seasons.

I reckon it would be good (and pointless at the same time) to enter in when you start the name(s) of any sons you do have, and then from that point there'd be a tiny chance one could come through. Obviously the field would have to have a limited number of spaces so you can't do a Cletus and enter 19 children to increase chances. It would still be unlikely one would come through though, which would keep the fun factor. If you didn't enter anything in the field the chances should still be the same, only the name would continue to be randomised. If my son came through with his actual name i would just feel unbelievably chuffed. I'd probably buy him a new rattle or something.

missed a big one, Gary Johnson and Lee Johnson.

Gary actually managed Lee at Bristol City, which is more akin to the game scenario. All these other examples the son didnt play for the dad which is what happens in FM.

It might be more realistic to have a son not at your club, but for the game to mention it as a news story "Your son <NAME> has just signed his first professional contract with <CLUB>"

missed a big one, Gary Johnson and Lee Johnson.

Gary actually managed Lee at Bristol City, which is more akin to the game scenario. All these other examples the son didnt play for the dad which is what happens in FM.

It might be more realistic to have a son not at your club, but for the game to mention it as a news story "Your son <NAME> has just signed his first professional contract with <CLUB>"

Blair Sturrock played under Paul.

Gavin Strachan played under Gordon.

Darren Ferguson played under Alex.

:)

• 4 weeks later...
Hmm... how about, making chances of having a son in fm 2011 a bit higher than in fm 2010, but very low chance of having your "son" being any good?

Would make sense, but I personally wouldnt like that, it's just nice that they're rare and with a reasonable chance to be good.

How many of them actually became successful international or continental level footballers?

It's very stressful being a football manager so the likelihood is that if you don't already have kids before embarking on such a career the stress and pain will take it's toll on your sperm count and render you as useful as a mechanical pencil with no refills :).

agreed xD i'd like to see it increased a little though, not too much

It's more fun than having one in real life I'm sure!!

Try telling my Missus that she'd agree!! Apparently when "We" get pregnant, "I" become a mechanical pencil with no refills :p

Edit: Archie Gemmill coached, not managed I think? Can't be bothered trying, but father and son did turn out for Scotland.

Can players have sons in the game, could you get the son of Shevchenko, Ronaldo etc. It'd be great to see a legendary player's kid turn up in your youth team-it would be even more amazing if the game recognised this and had your fans get excited- but that's probably a bit much to expect at the moment!

Can players have sons in the game, could you get the son of Shevchenko, Ronaldo etc. It'd be great to see a legendary player's kid turn up in your youth team-it would be even more amazing if the game recognised this and had your fans get excited- but that's probably a bit much to expect at the moment!

In my game, a previous (non-regen) Northampton manager had a regen in his team which i believe to be his son. Both are in each others fave personnel..... Hope this didnt reduce my chances...

I'm glad it's so rare. After about 50 failed attempts at a long-term game in FM 10, I got a son in my second season of my Blackburn game. Having that and knowing how rare it is has kept me playing this game and finally getting the long-term enjoyment out of FM :)

I suppose you could always have a 1-2 week period during the regen cycle where you can "adopt" a 14-15 yr old.......yes that was a serious comment. About as serious as the others!

Ahaha my flatmate did that in a network game, was ****ed he didn't get a son coming through so just gave one of the regens (who shared his ethnicity) a nickname with his last name

How many of them actually became successful international or continental level footballers?

That's irrelevant, they just have to be good enough to get into a youth system, but of those I listed, Lampard's son is a world class footballer, and Cruijft and Redknapp were both good footballers

Archived