Champions League Qualifiers

Hi folks,

Quick question about the structure of the Champs league qualifiers.

I was under the notion that teams who won their domestic league, but still had to qualify, played in a seperate set of qualifiers than those that finished 2nd/3rd/4th in their domestic league?

I ask because I've just noticed both Celtic and Rangers playing in the "Best Placed Playoff" round, despite Celtic having won the SPL the previous year.

Is this a bug, or have I just mis-understood how the qualifiers work?

It could be to do with the UEFA points system if its in the game. Rangers and Celtic most of the time dont get far in the Champions league which means they lose points or dont gain as many points as other teams from other nations which do better which means that Scotland can lose their automatic Champions league spot which means both team have to go though qualifying. If i have explained thsi wrong will someone please tell me.

Yeh, I understand that they could lose their automatic place in the groups, it just doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't go into the "Champions" qualifying route if they won the league, rather than the other way. (as will be the case at the beginning of next season)

I'll show you what I mean.

europeanchampionscup.png

To me, Celtic should have been in the top qualifying method should they not? If that's the route for league winners?

I've just checked the UEFA website and I'm right. It is only league winners that enter the top route, and those who did not win their league who enter the bottom method.

I guess this means its a coding bug.

Could be. Im not a 100% certain on thsi rule. If you think its a bug put in the Bugs forum or send someone a message asking if they can clear up the rule.

I think you're right, Platini's argument was that it's better to have (say) the Polsih league champions in the champions league than the fourth placed German, French and Italian teams. A post in the bugs forum would be worthwhile...

In 2010/11 season, and in the 2011/12 season, did Scottish clubs do particularly well in European competition? Including CL and Europa? If so, Scotlands coefficient may have risen, and be given 3 CL places, meaning another scottish team won the league, and Celtic and Rangers finished 3rd and 2nd, hence went to this play-off? Just an idea, could be wrong...

That doesn't seem right. The Champions should indeed be in the Champions route.

As you can see, Belgium also had two teams. Club Brugge, assuming they are the champions, are in the Champions route, and Anderlecht are in the play-off route.

Odd.

Archived