Should players choose their own shirt numbers?

Should players choose their shirt number?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should players choose their shirt number?

• Yes - Players should choose the shirt number they wear
    • No - The manage should choose the shirt number a player wears

I don't know how it works at all clubs irl, but I know at Arsenal it is up to the new players to choose between any of the free shirt numbers.

Should this be a feature of future FM games? It could add a bit of sentiment to the numbers when you look back at which players have chosen to wear the shirt down the years you've managed a club. Not a major feature, but potentially a nice touch.

Nice idea. Similarly, I think regens should be able to develop a favourite number, atm only real players can have a favourite number (it seems)

I definitely agree with this. It was quite a nice feature to see introduced but it is wasted on people like me who play with mostly regens.

I suppose I'd use it if it was there.

I'm fine with the current system though...

I do believe some shirt numbers should give more pressure though i.e someone taking over Bergkamps old no.10 would potentially bring pressure in my opinion

I like that idea, it would also apply with the famous number 7 shirts of Liverpool and Man United.

But i dont think so, some players have their own preferred numbers which contributes towards them picking a number

I don't agree

what if I have 6 world class attacking players and all of them want the number 10? it would be chaotic and I will receive loads of messages

Player X thinks he would be more suited for the number 10

Surely that would just go along with all the other problems associated with having six world class players for one position?

I think it should depend on the league and/or country.

For example, over here in North American sports, uniform numbers are entirely up to player preference. If a new guy wants "his" number, and it's already taken, then tough beans - pick another one.

Managers assign shirt numbers

The preferred number thing is there for a reason (and should probably be used more), but players can only have a preference of number - their boss can just turn round and say no, as he submits the final list.

I don't know if it would be hard to implement but it would be handy to be able to "Assign previous number" to a player that goes out on loan. I always forget what they originally had...and fail to write it down.

Not really neccessary but could be handy.

Anyways, I don't think players should be too fussed about shirt numbers but I would like to see some newgens develop a favourite player number. Again not vital to include in the game but could add something a bit different.

Surely that would just go along with all the other problems associated with having six world class players for one position?

Not if he uses 4-4-2 and the six in question are 2 wingers, one Att centre mid, 2 strikers and one on the bench!

Or maybe 2-2-6 ;)

I will refer to the film Reservoir dogs. all the players will want to be the cool one ie Number 7, 11 or 10 arguments will break out. You (the manager) is in charge you tell them what number they are. Though having more pressure to succeed when replacing a former great at number 10/7/11 would be a great idea for the game.

er... no, because i can't see that that would happen in real life. Sure, they would express a preference (which they already do in game) or they would be given a choice by the manager (as in the OP's Arsenal example, and which i think should be implemented in-game if possible). What i'd like to see is a conversation with the player along the lines of "sorry, number 7 is already taken, do you have a second choice?" and then the player would take 17, 27, 37, 77, 97, or the last two digits of the year of their birth (Ronaldinho/Nikopolidis style), this could either be done by players having a list of preffered numbers rather than just one or the game just having a list of likely second choices for each number. Players could also just give a vague choice, such as "first-team number (1-11)", "first team number other than 1 (2-11)", "number ending in [number, e.g. 7]", "number in the 20's/30's etc..." or "anything but [number, e.g. 13]".

IRL, in Real Madrid players are free to choose numbers.. However there is informal rule that new players do not choose lower numbers f.eks. Pedro Leon would not choose number 7.. and if he does he would get a nice NO! :D

I'd like to see ALOT more players have preferred numbers.. I usually try to accommodate as many players as possible.. and often only 1-2 players have preferred numbers.. In my crappy level 10000 club in denmark most players had a fav. number (7 here :p).. surely most prof. players also have preferred numbers?

surely most prof. players also have preferred numbers?

They probably do, but they often don't express that preference, so we don't know about it.

someone taking over Bergkamps old no.10 would potentially bring pressure in my opinion

Didn't Wenger make Gallas take the no. 10 so that people wouldn't compare the new occupant to Bergkamp?

They probably do, but they often don't express that preference, so we don't know about it.

Didn't Wenger make Gallas take the no. 10 so that people wouldn't compare the new occupant to Bergkamp?

I believe this to be correct. Anyway now he's joined a proper club he's back to his 13 wearing ways.

I think players should have a say as to what number they want, within reasonable request of course.

Using the Arsenal example again, van Persie requested to take the 10 shirt this season. Number 52 was Bendtner's choice (odd choice IMO), and Chamakh went for his favourite 29 shirt.

My point was more that the regens should reflect this.. I think the research involved in knowing every player's pref. number is near impossible. But as a lover of long-term games I'd LOVE to see regens have preferred numbers..

My point was more that the regens should reflect this.. I think the research involved in knowing every player's pref. number is near impossible. But as a lover of long-term games I'd LOVE to see regens have preferred numbers..

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree.

I think players should have a say as to what number they want, within reasonable request of course.

Using the Arsenal example again, van Persie requested to take the 10 shirt this season. Number 52 was Bendtner's choice (odd choice IMO), and Chamakh went for his favourite 29 shirt.

Bentdner chose his 52 to reflect his £52k pw salary. Smug and arrogant don't even come close to describing him.

Bentdner chose his 52 to reflect his £52k pw salary. Smug and arrogant don't even come close to describing him.

Spurs fan with no research. :rolleyes:

"Before the season starts I wanted to change my squad number from 26 which I've obviously had for a number of seasons. I chose to move to 52 because it's a special number to me personally, and I hope that it brings me good luck for the new season. I appreciate that a good number of fans have bought their kits for 2009/10 already with names and numbers printed up so I'd like to personally cover the cost of replacing anyone's shirt that has my previous number. It means a lot to see supporters wearing your name and number, and I want to ensure people aren't inconvenienced by the change."

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/bendtner-explains-switch-of-squad-number

(52 is his previous number 26 times 2)

Spurs fan with no research. :rolleyes:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/bendtner-explains-switch-of-squad-number

(52 is his previous number 26 times 2)

Where in that article does it denounce what I've said? Nowhere. What I've said was told to me by seriously hardcore gooner mates, they all think its legit. Its been on this forum before and many have agreed that its the reason. 'Its a special number to me' Yes because they pay you that much.

Gooner with poor research :rolleyes:

Oh I see, so the team you support has everything to do with Gallas' choice of number, but nothing to do with you slandering Bendtner. Ok that's cleared up.

Slander? I'm sure you mean libel. And thats only if he could prove its not the case. Which as I've stated I'm fairly sure it is.

Yeah I wasn't getting ready to start legal proceedings. And just because you and some 'hardcore Gooners' reckon its his salary doesn't make it so. Besides which he did agree to refund the two people who bought a shirt with his old number on it, which is fairly decent.

Where in that article does it denounce what I've said? Nowhere. What I've said was told to me by seriously hardcore gooner mates, they all think its legit. Its been on this forum before and many have agreed that its the reason. 'Its a special number to me' Yes because they pay you that much.

Gooner with poor research :rolleyes:

Think. Says it all really.

Unless you're actually Bendtner, how would you know the real reason?

Think. Says it all really.

Unless you're actually Bendtner, how would you know the real reason?

Right. Didn't want to sound too pretentious but looks like I'm going to have to. These gooner mates are all chummy with a bunch of your directors etc. When they tell me something it's generally kosher. That's why I believe this.

Right. Didn't want to sound too pretentious but looks like I'm going to have to. These gooner mates are all chummy with a bunch of your directors etc. When they tell me something it's generally kosher. That's why I believe this.

Anybody can name-drop and claim knowledge (keeps the transfer window busy with 'rumours'), but with no official word it's hard to believe really.

I can claim to know many people. Doesn't qualify me to make up 'facts' on others' behalf.

I'd dispute how much knowledge the directors at Arsenal would have about something like this... they're quite hands off.

And you don't know how hard it is not to make a joke about kosher.

Anyway now he's joined a proper club

Nah, he's joined Spurs, hasn't he?

:p

Regarding squad numbers, I'd like to see more preferred numbers and I'd also maybe like to see the less professional players moaning about not getting a certain number. I can't think it would be too much of a problem but it would be a nice touch anyway.

The other issue I'd like to see fixed with regards to shirt numbers is the incorrect omission of the 13 shirt in friendlies. Does anyone still put their sub GK as S2 as a legacy of when sub numbers were correct?

That`s cool, but not every player should have it. Some decent players should have umbers "from the line", some coul have pole position in choosing numbers. BTW sometimes players in team have same favored number. What then? Let`s say they have simillar skills.

That`s cool, but not every player should have it. Some decent players should have umbers "from the line", some coul have pole position in choosing numbers. BTW sometimes players in team have same favored number. What then? Let`s say they have simillar skills.

then he choose 1+8 like recoba at inter when ronaldo was there and wear no9

The other issue I'd like to see fixed with regards to shirt numbers is the incorrect omission of the 13 shirt in friendlies. Does anyone still put their sub GK as S2 as a legacy of when sub numbers were correct?

I always have my sub GK as S2, and I've never worked out why. Thanks for reminding me. I say "always", but I no longer do it in friendlies - they get S1 so they wear 12.

Am I correct in thinking that at Real Madrid, Raul had it written into his contract that he had to have the number 7 shirt? If so it could be an interesting feature to add into the contract negotiations side of things for FM2011

Actually Bendtner told the Danish press that he prefers shirt number 7. That number was taken so he could've taken shirt 25 (2+5=7). BUT: That shirt used to be Adebayor's - and he certainly didn't want to take over HIS shirt. Hence he chose shirt number 52 (5+2=7).

That's what he told the Danish press, anyway.

Archived