Offside with 4 players nearer the goal

offsidew.jpg

Somehow this player was given offside. I count 4 players lat least level with him. Even with the worst assitant ref in the world this wouldn't be given as offside. There are two men on the line!

That said it was a disallowed goal for the opposition so I'm not too unhappy.

Looks like a pretty awful decision.

Was that the moment the ball was released? What does the frame after that look like?

Yep. Its the last frame before ball was played. The player then got the ball, turned and put it in the net and as they ran to celebrate the goal was dissallowed for offside.

Something doesn't add up with the pictures.

The small match report suggests its a free kick (from out wide?) taken short by Brough but the 3d shows Brough in the area (receiving a short pass?).

What does the full match report say?

It could just be a glitch between the ME & the 3d in some way - People on posts off the pitch? or not supposed to be there at all.

Something doesn't add up with the pictures.

The small match report suggests its a free kick (from out wide?) taken short by Brough but the 3d shows Brough in the area (receiving a short pass?).

What does the full match report say?

It could just be a glitch between the ME & the 3d in some way - People on posts off the pitch? or not supposed to be there at all.

Not sure the mini report is actually that accurate/useful by the looks of it. Here is the full match report, still not that detailed actually. But after the 53m header look at the corner kick onwards

reporty.jpg

Having rewathced it a few times I don't believe Travis even touches the ball so he was given offside for interefering with play despite the 4 players closer to the goal line.

Even if the two players on the goal line were accidentally seen as off the pitch by the ME there is still the keeper and one defender closer to the goal than the attacker. Although they are cloaser so I could understand a referee mistake for these.

Yes, just watched the pkm and its a refereeing mistake confirmed by the match report line "It did look like a valid goal"

You would have been annoyed if it had gone against you ;)

Yep. It is a terrible "mistake" that would never happen in real life. Just like a ref never giving out 3 yellow cards to the same player.... ;)

Having rewathced it a few times I don't believe Travis even touches the ball so he was given offside for interefering with play despite the 4 players closer to the goal line.

Even if the two players on the goal line were accidentally seen as off the pitch by the ME there is still the keeper and one defender closer to the goal than the attacker. Although they are cloaser so I could understand a referee mistake for these.

Keeper doesn't count a defender :)

Thats a terrible ref error lol

Hope you won 5-1. Somehow I doubt it.

Its a big mistake.

The offside rule states that the attacker has to have 2 defenders between himself and the goal line when the ball is played. So if defender is over the goal line (ie. in the net), is he thus not part of the ruling?

If a player is over the goaline, ie defender, he may be considered out of play and thus not actually part of the offside decision. That then makes your attacker, inline with last two defenders being keeper and defender. Still a wrong decision, because inline is onside, but a marginal call and a slight mistake.

Not sure if a defender over the goaline counts as out of play and not in action. Just a stab in the dark.

Even with my definition he is on, so I dunno.

Hope you won 5-1. Somehow I doubt it.

Its a big mistake.

The offside rule states that the attacker has to have 2 defenders between himself and the goal line when the ball is played. So if defender is over the goal line (ie. in the net), is he thus not part of the ruling?

If a player is over the goaline, ie defender, he may be considered out of play and thus not actually part of the offside decision. That then makes your attacker, inline with last two defenders being keeper and defender. Still a wrong decision, because inline is onside, but a marginal call and a slight mistake.

Not sure if a defender over the goaline counts as out of play and not in action. Just a stab in the dark.

Even with my definition he is on, so I dunno.

The players cannot be behind the goaline and still take part in play as they would have left the field without permission and re-entered without permission.

And looking at the images they are both on the goal line and not behind it.

Fortunately I was the defending team so not too dissapointed, although I did draw 1-1.

Btw defenders cannot escape offside by stepping out off the pitch. They would then be regarded as on the pitch and keeping eveybody onside. The only exception is with injury

Indeed, that would be a bit too easy to make a player be offside, wouldn't it.

just to throw my 2 cents worth in (i havnt been all the way through this thread so if im way off or it has already been said then please flame me at will :) )

is it possible when the ball was kicked that the player strode ahead(?) of the keeper? no matter how many players are between the attacker and the goal line if he is ahead of the keeper then he is off side, happened in a game recently (maybe the WC?)

no matter how many players are between the attacker and the goal line if he is ahead of the keeper then he is off side, happened in a game recently (maybe the WC?)

What? No, he isn't. If that were true, why wouldn't the keeper just stand at the half line then all the time? All balls to the front would be offside!

If there is only 1 player in front of him, he's offside. Whether it's a keeper or any other player is irrelevant.

Actually my team had one decision similar to this IRL a couple of years ago. After a corner, two players were still standing at the posts and we scored. Was flagged offside. The linesmans explanation? He didn't see the defenders because the post was in his line of sight..

(oh..and this is referees that has been in the CL, WC etc etc)

Actually my team had one decision similar to this IRL a couple of years ago. After a corner, two players were still standing at the posts and we scored. Was flagged offside. The linesmans explanation? He didn't see the defenders because the post was in his line of sight so he didn't see the players on the line..

I hope that linesman has since retired/gone to specsavers. That or those players must be very thin to be completely obscured by a post!

just to throw my 2 cents worth in (i havnt been all the way through this thread so if im way off or it has already been said then please flame me at will :) )

is it possible when the ball was kicked that the player strode ahead(?) of the keeper? no matter how many players are between the attacker and the goal line if he is ahead of the keeper then he is off side, happened in a game recently (maybe the WC?)

From the Laws of the game:

Offside position

It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the

second-last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:

• he is in his own half of the fi eld of play or

• he is level with the second-last opponent or

• he is level with the last two opponents

Offence

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball

touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee,

involved in active play by:

• interfering with play or

• interfering with an opponent or

• gaining an advantage by being in that position

So can be two outfield players or one outfield player and one goalkeeper.

I wish people would actually learn the rules especially when they are posting on something like this. There has to be two opposing players betwenn you (the attacker) and the goal line. Which position the opposing players play has nothing to do with anything.

The thing your refering to in the world cup was:

The ball was crossed in and the keeper came out to punch the ball away. The keeper missed the ball. The ball was then dropped to an attacking player who scored. The goal was offside because there was only one opposing player between him and the goal line (defender on the line). When the ball was played, the attacking player was onside, being kept onside be two opposing players (the keeper and the defender on the line). The keeper came to punch, in doing so he passed the attacking player leaviing the attacker with only one opposing player between him and the goal line. After the keeper tried to punch and missed, the ball came off another attacking player and landed at the feet of the offside attacker who then scored.

They talked about this after on the TV because a lot of people just think there needs to be 1 defender (another player disregarding the keeper) between you and the goal. And because there was a defender on the line, most people would think the attacker was onside. The rule is actually 2 players between you and the goal line but only 1 player gets mentioned because we take it for granted that the keeper will be one of the two players. It was actually a very good spot by the linesman in that game as it doesnt happen very often.

Archived