Micah Richards aint a football MAnager fan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is too detailed now though, there are too many things to do and it is too technical for me when all you want to do is get on to your starting XI and your tactics without worrying about much else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lets be brutally honest here: If an England international can't enjoy FM because its 'too complicated' is it any wonder we suck?!

I am genuinely surprised by his comments tbh. Its shows what I suspected for a while now .. that modern English footballers have absolutely no tactical awareness whatsoever.

Lord knows what managers actually do in real life in the Premiership. Can't be much more than 'pick the best eleven and hope for the best'.

Perhaps more of us should be doing our badges!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

Lets be brutally honest here: If an England international can't enjoy FM because its 'too complicated' is it any wonder we suck?!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. Being an England international doesn't mean you're the smartest cookie in the tin.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

Lord knows what managers actually do in real life in the Premiership. Can't be much more than 'pick the best eleven and hope for the best'.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't know about Premiership, but the England manager certain did (tbh maybe not even the "pick the best eleven" bit)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Synergy6:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. Being an England international doesn't mean you're the smartest cookie in the tin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a given. As we all know, footballers are atheletes who learn how to play football.

Not vice versa. Or even any varition on the theme.

In fact you could argue not more than a handful of players have any real affinity for the game on a mental level. Rooney being the shining exception ..

Thats not the point tho. If you are in a highly competative, highly professional environment and competing at the top level of the sport you should have a greater understanding of the game on a tactical level. Else how do you compete?

You can't make someone into a footballer. You just can't .. if they haven't got any natutral talent. All you end up with are top class athletes incapable of progressive play.

No wait. Thats England ins't it.

You just watch them playing the ball around in their own half (badly I might add) with absolutely not clue whatsoever how to progress up the pitch without a foreigner to take the ball from their feet and do something with it.

But anyway, regarding the actual tactical aspect of the game, I can't believe a professional footballer regarded as 'one of the best in his position', a defender no less, can be a tard. How do you expect to get anywhere with athleticism alone?

Its funny how things can be twisted - I would have posted how good it was that someone 'famous' is saying publicly that they played the same game we're all playing - but instead you pick up on the negative.

Anyhow, its true what he says and is maybe a wake up call to the makers of the game, maybe if they get back to basics - strip back all the fancy-dan bits and get down to what the game was all about when first brought out by the Collier brothers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The older editions are the best because everything is nice and quick and I could get all the best players in my team.

It is too detailed now though, there are too many things to do and it is too technical for me when all you want to do is get on to your starting XI and your tactics without worrying about much else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly what is wrong FM no in a nutshell

the whole thing reminds me of a passage in the book cruyff barcelona ajax...when johann gets the job as coach at ajax and to his surprise the most players didnt even know the basics about tactics.

i dont wanna say that alot of players are morons its just that they didnt get educated in tactics when they are younger.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DJdeMarco:

icon_confused.gif

At no point does he mention Football Manager.

It is entirely posible that he thinks that the modern Championship Manager is the follow on to the Collyer classics and not FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I thought at first, but he's hardly going to complain about that being too complex now, is he? icon_wink.gif

What Richards has said has been echoed by a lot of the older football manager fans including myself.

Its not really a complaint but the older I get the less time I have to play football manaager and unfortunetly the older football manager get s the more complicated it becomes. But lots of people love this, not really complaining and I wouldn't even try play championship manager, I've played FIFA manager (its about as deep as a puddle!)

He is bang on the money. FM is stupidly complicated at the moment.

Whilst some of the ideas in the game will be done by someone in a real life football club, the majority of what you do in FM will not be done by the manager.

What he means is that he wants to buy the players he wants to buy, choose the formation and basic style of play (Attacking/defending, long/short passing) then play the game. He wants there to be a 433Owen tactic and he wants his side to win things without him dedicating his life and soul to it, like you would have to do at the moment. 1-20 sliders and 7 to the power 98 million number of tactical options are far too much, and make the game incredibly dull.

FM-Lite on Xbox 360 Live is my idea of FM heaven.

I don't think the game is too complicated as-is. It's just the interface is ****.

Sliders are a crap idea and the engine is TOO tuned. It shouldn't be anywhere near as precise.

The impact of random variables and player personalities should be much greater ..

As it is, you are either winning or loosing with little middle ground.

You either create 10+ sot or you create none.

You either defend well or you defend badly.

You either have a high enough club rep to sign better players or you dont.

Its all too binary .. coupled with the lack of actual gameplay depth, it leaves no room for immersion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is too detailed now though, there are too many things to do and it is too technical for me when all you want to do is get on to your starting XI and your tactics without worrying about much else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am genuinely surprised by his comments tbh. Its shows what I suspected for a while now .. that modern English footballers have absolutely no tactical awareness whatsoever.

Perhaps more of us should be doing our badges! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're twisting it around.. Who cares about what size the pitch is? He's absolutely right when he says the game is too complicated.

Dont get me started on pitch dimensions - if we are going to choose pitch dimensions we shouldnt have 3 options, we should be able to type in the length and width we want the pitch to be - within the max & min allowed - its pointless otherwise, being left with 3 bog standard choices small middle or large - dont know if there is any proof that it makes a difference either - who is going to play and replay a season to see what effect it has?

sorry, ive gone a little off topic!

So, back on topic - he doesnt mention Football Manager, so the original poster will have to justify this thread - but we all know if you started with Championship Manager back in the day, then you will have progressed to FM, rather than stuck with the name of the game - some of my mates still call it 'Championship' but actually mean 'Fitbaw Manager'

I think the quotes from Micah could be extremely significant for the future of FM.

I've often thought that if someone from within the game can't even get to grips with the all the sliders and the other nonsence like team talks then it's time to take a long hard look at where the series started to tail off after 01/02.

What Micah wants is an arcade version of FM (or CM).

What SI Games want is a realistic football simulation.

Which are each other complete opposites.

I do not know FIFA Manager, but maybe that is more to Micah's liking?

I am positive there are hundreds of other professional players playing FM and probably not enjoying the game as much as in the past.

To be fair to the makers of the game, they have to do something to make it difficult to stop people complaining its too easy - and they can justify it too by saying its not easy in real life either - but usually we'd just blame the referee and be done with it!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I still remember the first edition that had me in it when I was younger though - I was only about 16. I bought myself but I was useless so I had to drop myself!

I did not agree with my stats either. They under-rated me then! Hopefully I am a bit better now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch that must be painful having to drop yourself lmao i find it hard to drop a star player who has been on a bad run of from .. i'm like lets give him another game lol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Sorry to shout but,

HE WAS TALKING ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER NOT FOOTBALL MANAGER!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we know

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulB75:

His favourite film is "Home Alone". I don`t think he is representative of the FM playing public and their level of intelligence! At least I hope not .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stumostro:

Sorry to shout but,

HE WAS TALKING ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER NOT FOOTBALL MANAGER!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Micah knows that. Young players have nothing to do from 12pm when they get home from training. They will be masters of the consoles, and all over the difference between CM and FM.

MICAH'S FM MANAGER: "Right Micah, what I want you to do is this: I want you to play in the DMC position, with a run forward to the MC position. I want you to have an "Attacking" mentality, with 5/20 Creative Freedom. I want you to use Mixed passing, Hard tackling and 15/20 Tempo. Close down in your own half only, Time Waste Rarely, and Focus Passing down the Flanks. Zonal Marking, 15/20 Width, Use Target Man, Play ball to Target Man's Feet, Counter Attack and No Long Shots. RunWithBallPlayThroughBallsDon'tCross BallNoFreeRoleandHoldUpBall. OK?"

MICAH: "????????????"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sad Git:

MICAH'S FM MANAGER: "Right Micah, what I want you to do is this: I want you to play in the DMC position, with a run forward to the MC position. I want you to have an "Attacking" mentality, with 5/20 Creative Freedom. I want you to use Mixed passing, Hard tackling and 15/20 Tempo. Close down in your own half only, Time Waste Rarely, and Focus Passing down the Flanks. Zonal Marking, 15/20 Width, Use Target Man, Play ball to Target Man's Feet, Counter Attack and No Long Shots. RunWithBallPlayThroughBallsDon'tCross BallNoFreeRoleandHoldUpBall. OK?"

MICAH: "????????????" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or maybe...

"Micah, I want you to play the holding midfield role, but you can get forward more when we have the ball if you see an opportunity to do so. Don't dally on the ball or shoot from range, hold your position and make your tackles count. I'm not fussed about how you pass, but look to spread the play wide when possible, and remember Benjani likes the ball played into his feet."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am genuinely surprised by his comments tbh. Its shows what I suspected for a while now .. that modern English footballers have absolutely no tactical awareness whatsoever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He doesn't like the game and he said why. As a Premier League footballer it is probably him that knows what he is talking about. Maybe it is too complecated for all we know?

It is his own sport so he'll know a bit about it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bridport_james:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am genuinely surprised by his comments tbh. Its shows what I suspected for a while now .. that modern English footballers have absolutely no tactical awareness whatsoever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He doesn't like the game and he said why. As a Premier League footballer it is probably him that knows what he is talking about. Maybe it is too complecated for all we know?

It is his own sport so he'll know a bit about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The important part of your statement is that he is a footballer, not a manager. There are reasons why many ex-football players don't make it as managers.

Guest arrogantio

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sad Git:

MICAH'S FM MANAGER: "Right Micah, what I want you to do is this: I want you to play in the DMC position, with a run forward to the MC position. I want you to have an "Attacking" mentality, with 5/20 Creative Freedom. I want you to use Mixed passing, Hard tackling and d15/20 Tempo. Close down in your own half only, Time Waste Rarely, and Focus Passing down the Flanks. Zonal Marking, 15/20 Width, Use Target Man, Play ball to Target Man's Feet, Counter Attack and No Long Shots. RunWithBallPlayThroughBallsDon'tCross BallNoFreeRoleandHoldUpBall. OK?"

MICAH: "????????????" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly. Real managers

don't determine the players' positioning on the pitch to the nearest metre and don't need to spell out what risks not to take when a goal up but they earn their money through observation like "that right back tends to drift forward too much so look for the opportunity to play diagonal balls in behind him, especially since their keeper is dodgy under crosses, and I want someone to try to get in front of their quick lone striker to cut off his supply with another standing goalside at all times, AND LET's HAVE SOME PASSION LADS. Which bears no relation to the FM tatical setup whatsoever....

He's not saying the complexity makes it unrepresentative of real-life.

He's saying that, in his life, he wants to come in, pick a team, and play a season.

So for him, it's too complicated.

Christ, it's not like he's Stephen Hawking explaining general relativity, why are so many people getting the wrong end of the stick?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stumostro:

Sorry to shout but,

Technically, he was talking about FM because as he says here:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I used to play Championship Manager all the time when I was younger. The older editions are the best because everything is nice and quick and I could get all the best players in my team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"When he was younger" - which I'm guessing means FM when it was CM, as opposed to the now non-SI CM. So it's still FM.

And I understand what he's getting at, there's a lot more to concentrate on in FM, like team-talks and the media side in general. Also the tactical slides, as opposed to versions like CM01/02 where it was much simpler and you could just get on with things. Perhaps that's why 01/02 still has such a popular following? I might reinstall it later. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave C:

He's not saying the complexity makes it unrepresentative of real-life.

He's saying that, in his life, he wants to come in, pick a team, and play a season.

So for him, it's too complicated.

Christ, it's not like he's Stephen Hawking explaining general relativity, why are so many people getting the wrong end of the stick? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JUST what I was tried to say further up icon_biggrin.gif

I don't think the game is too complicated as-is. It's just the interface is ****.

Sliders are a crap idea and the engine is TOO tuned. It shouldn't be anywhere near as precise.

The impact of random variables and player personalities should be much greater ..

As it is, you are either winning or loosing with little middle ground.

You either create 10+ sot or you create none.

You either defend well or you defend badly.

You either have a high enough club rep to sign better players or you dont.

Its all too binary .. coupled with the lack of actual gameplay depth, it leaves no room for immersion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toon07:

What do you think the average IQ of the England team is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should be one of their mentality attributes. A maximum of 20 would be plenty for a footballer icon_wink.gif

Archived