Steam question

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this but anyway, is Steam safe to use? When my old computer broke, the man that fixed it said that the virus which broke the computer was mainly down to Steam which had harmful spyware from it, I'm not sure whether this is true because if it was then surely everyone who uses it would also have a virus from it, so is it safe or not?

Thanks in advance :)

I wouldnt use that guy again if i was you, because hes talking out of his erchie.

Steam contains no spyware of any kind, its not a trojan or malware either while we are at it.

Steams only "downside" is that it is a form of DRM (digital rights management) but compared to say Starforce or the various hilariously bad things from Ubisoft as of late its realy not that bad at all.

I like steam because i dont need to remember cd keys, i dont need to maintain disks or go switching cd's around if i want to play something else... its fast, it doesnt use up resources, its easy to get all my games back after a complete reinstall of my OS, it patches everything automaticaly and its got some fantastic deals on games from time to time.

I've downloaded Steam, scanned my computer twice, full scan and quick scan using McAfee Security Center, found nothing, so that's all good :) But does anybody know how to just specifically scan Steam for any viruses?

Why are you using McAfee, and as previously mentioned Steam contains no viruses so there's no point scanning Steam. Viruses mainly come from unsolicited spam email (e.g. "Mrs Jones you want to make bigger of penis?"), warez, attacked sites and some torrent downloads, not DRM programmes run by major games developers. By the way from what you said of the IT guy, I wouldn't let him within a country mile of my computer let alone fix it. He'd probably answer one of those popups that say "Microsoft Virus Sweep Xpress 2010 has found the following virus on your computer, press yes to fix" which simultaneously charges you £54.99 a month to fix a non-existant problem an downloads the worst kind of bots onto your computer.

Why are you using McAfee, and as previously mentioned Steam contains no viruses so there's no point scanning Steam. Viruses mainly come from unsolicited spam email (e.g. "Mrs Jones you want to make bigger of penis?"), warez, attacked sites and some torrent downloads, not DRM programmes run by major games developers. By the way from what you said of the IT guy, I wouldn't let him within a country mile of my computer let alone fix it. He'd probably answer one of those popups that say "Microsoft Virus Sweep Xpress 2010 has found the following virus on your computer, press yes to fix" which simultaneously charges you £54.99 a month to fix a non-existant problem an downloads the worst kind of bots onto your computer.

Why not use McAfee? Thanks for the help though :)

Why not use McAfee? Thanks for the help though :)

You have to pay, and there are free virus detectors as good (if not better), I use Micorsoft Security Essentials (I know a good product from Micro$oft!) for daily works, and Malwarebytes free version for occasional deep scans (once a month). You could also check out AVG free.

Archived