Discipline/Foul management question

So I'm wondering if there is any way at all to handle teams/players that foul or get carded too much.

I know I can set the tackling to a more cautious setting but that never seems to help at all and I'm sick of a team racking up 20+ fouls or far too many cards.

I know part of it is out of your control depending on the official but there are a couple players I know on my team(s) that draw cards more often (probably the higher aggression stat). Even when I fine them for getting a red they don't learn the point is to ease up and just whine about unfair treatment.

So is there any better way to try managing undisciplined fouling players?

I know coaches have the discipline stat, but that just affects how well they train players, has nothing to do with actual match discipline correct? Maybe it should have more affect so you can have an aggressive player that's not an undisciplined fool.

Do you use you ass man to set opposition player instructions?

If you do, he'll set tackling to super death ninja level and it will over-ride your sensible tactics.

I never fine players, only issue warnings.

lol, I know... every asst wants to go hard on everyone. Stupid. I always set my own tactics and never go hard on anyone. so for the most part it's not a problem. I just get sick of the same guys getting the yellows and reds, maybe a preferred move training for it would be good, kind of like the 'stop arguing with officials' one.

I usually issue warnings for really poor performances but, but will fine on rare occasions, some players take it like a champ too. But one player I have crys like a little baby even when he gets warned (MLS Colorado Pablo Mastroeni) I would just get rid of him but he's too popular so it hurts fan/board confidence and he is a fair D-mid. So it would be nice if there was some way to gain more discipline from players if that's your style of coaching.

I concede few fouls and collect few yellow cards. In my opinion, it's all about making sure your players are in the right position to make tackles and interceptions without having to lunge in wildly. Playing with the mentality settings of your midfielders and the depth of your defensive line is the best way to experiment with this.

Slightly off topic but I like to use hard tackling on opposition players with a very low bravery stat, ones that have very low condition at the start of the game, or ones I know to be injury prone.

I concede few fouls and collect few yellow cards. In my opinion, it's all about making sure your players are in the right position to make tackles and interceptions without having to lunge in wildly. Playing with the mentality settings of your midfielders and the depth of your defensive line is the best way to experiment with this.

Slightly off topic but I like to use hard tackling on opposition players with a very low bravery stat, ones that have very low condition at the start of the game, or ones I know to be injury prone.

With one of the players I get annoyed with doing this I know it's not just the settings, I think it's just SI actually doing a really good job replicating a player because he's known IRL as being a bit hot headed and hard charging. I guess what really gets me is when you have those games with a foul/card happy official, even altering your tackling and such won't stop it.

I used to go hard on players with low condition as well but just got away from it, never thought of the low bravery concept, maybe a way to get a player a little more nervous on the ball. Maybe I should go back to it a little if my team is behaving.

I just wish there was a better way to control undisciplined play since warnings or fines don't actually seem to do anything other then put them in bad moods.

I always issue fines for straight reds and warnings for seconds yellows. Normally players accept their warnings and say they will try to be more professional in the future. Some players sulk for a bit, but get over it after a couple of games.

I used to be lenient, but some players started complaining about a lack of discipline in the team, and it affected my overall discipline rating.

I always issue fines for straight reds and warnings for seconds yellows. Normally players accept their warnings and say they will try to be more professional in the future. Some players sulk for a bit, but get over it after a couple of games.

This, 2 weeks for an unnecessary red card, 1 week for a professional red, warning for 2nd yellow.

Just set tackling on cautious really. I never ever do and have racked 79 yellows in 40 league games.

This doesn't do anything at all in some situations however. I've had 10 fouls and 2-3 yellows at the end of the first half, set cautious tackling, and still ended up with 20+ fouls and a couple more yellows just because the official is a moron.

Or for players that have a natural tendency to foul because of their personality, I've had a couple players where its no uncommon for them to get a yellow every other game (if not more) no matter what tackling is set to.

Just like other instructions they aren't followed to the letter every match.

I've finally seen a result from disciplining for the first time just recently too. The bad part the season is almost over by the time a player realizes what I've been trying to tell them and I've been like Stalin the entire time, harsh as hell with warnings/fines because of all the cards and bad performances. You would think only a couple "disappointed in form" interactions and a warning or two and a professional player would get the picture, which the majority of my team is professional with their personality.

Discipline is the one man management issue that's annoying because the options to control it are so vague. Like I said before if there was a little more specific ways of addressing it I'd be more happy, such as a PPM like the "stop arguing with officials" one. Maybe you're play style is to go hard on guys so you want that enforcer like personality on the team and you can tell him to be less concerned with aggressive tackles, on the other hand you could be like me and simply want a professional level of discipline and tell them to be more careful. That seems like the obvious choice instead of warning's and fines that they whine over which just compounds the issue.

How about it SI, would be nice to fit into FM11

Archived