Your Best Bargain

my game last night got me wondering if anybody else has managed to get a top player for a cheap fee.

i was having a search for players last night to see if any players contracts were due to expire in january 2015. i was leaving it very late as it was like xmas day but got the suprise of my life when i saw igor akinfeev top of the search list. only wanted 35k a week to come to ajax. got no competition for him at all and he accepted my offer a few days later :D had to pay a £5.25m transfer fee as russia isnt in the E.U but what a bargain!!!! hes only 28 as well.

so has anyone else managed to get a bargain of a top player to come to their clubs???

i have also picked up srna and boudabouz on frees in the past.

This probably is a common one, but Riquelme on a free after the first season.

Got him as Newcastle and he has been shooting and scoring from everywhere and anywhere.

Basturk is right next to him in my 4-4-2 and he too is shooting and scoring long shots, he was also on a free.

I got Emilio Nsue on a free for my Derby team after he was released by Mallorca. He banged in over 30 goals in first season and over 20 in his second. I had him for 5 seasons and I think he got around 110 goals in all.

Add into that, getting £2.2m for him when he no longer featured in my first team plans, all in all a cracking signing. Plus his wages were reasonable all the way.

In a Football Manager sense on 09 Franco Zuculini was immense and would cost about 800k and would go for around 20 mil after 3 years, Bought Adam Smith on FM10 from Spurs for 1.2 mil and after one year sold him back to them for 14 mil.

my game last night got me wondering if anybody else has managed to get a top player for a cheap fee.

i was having a search for players last night to see if any players contracts were due to expire in january 2015. i was leaving it very late as it was like xmas day but got the suprise of my life when i saw igor akinfeev top of the search list. only wanted 35k a week to come to ajax. got no competition for him at all and he accepted my offer a few days later :D had to pay a £5.25m transfer fee as russia isnt in the E.U but what a bargain!!!! hes only 28 as well.

Heh, amusingly enough, at about the same date, I could've gotten Akinfeev on a free for Ajax - he had no club. Sadly, I wasn't prepared to pay a benchwarmer £30kpw, and about a month later he went off to join Man Utd.

My best bargain was probably from the same game: Stephen Defour on a free. Absolute legend :D

Argentinian forward Gastón Fernández on a free transfer, with any smaller club I happen to be managing. Have to get in quick at the start of a new save though, as there's usually bigger clubs sniffing around too.

It was a wrench to sell him in the third season of my current save, but I did have the opportunity to sign Torres and Agüero. Still, I managed to move him on for 6.5 million and a very healthy sell-on clause. :)

He managed to score 84 goals in 80 appearances for my club, making him the club record goalscorer of all time. I'll be monitoring him as he gets older and possibly, look to bring him back in his twilight years for tutoring youngsters and an eventual coaching role.

Heh, amusingly enough, at about the same date, I could've gotten Akinfeev on a free for Ajax - he had no club. Sadly, I wasn't prepared to pay a benchwarmer £30kpw, and about a month later he went off to join Man Utd.

My best bargain was probably from the same game: Stephen Defour on a free. Absolute legend :D

i think defour was available for a free on my game in about 2012 but he went italy instead :(

on fm06 i got fernando torres on a free in 2009

on fm07 i got buffon for £8.75m plus Fran Mérida at end of first season

on fm08 i got the brilliant omar esparza for about £3m, ended up becoming a superb utility player and the new partner to fabregas in midfield, we were scintillating, he banged in goals from distance too for me

on fm09 i cannot recall any particular deals

fm10 my best bargain so far must be alphonse aréola for £65k, and he becomes brilliant

In 2010 Summer Transfer Window, Wolfsburg offered Dzeko to me (Arsenal) for £11.25M. Done deal, considering they wanted £22.5M for him at the beginning of the first season.

In the 2013 Summer Transfer Window, I brought in Dominic Criscito on a free transfer.

I'm about to buy a 26 year old, transfer-listed Fernando Gago from Man United for £4.9M as a back-up/rotation for Håvard Nordtveit.

Adler 6M € in 2012 to man city

Akinfeev free in 2014 to man city

Balotelli 12M € in 2011 to WEST BROM

But in my entire fm carier : Mascherano free at second season in Fm 2007 second season , Hugo Lloris and Sergio Ramos free on 4th season in Fm 2008 ( all to Atletico Madrid )

Kinda odd but my best value has been a generated player. I've gotten him a couple different times when I started an MLS game. Julio Cesar, pretty common Brazilian name right. Both times he just fell into my lap by backroom advice... first time he was an attacking mid, second time defending mid, that's how I know he's generated and I know it's the same generation because the stats are almost identical, same name, and age.

Anyway it was a great deal because he's got big technical and mental stats and fair physical at age 19, unsigned by any club so he was a free, and even with the great stats he's more then happy to take a development contract, not just for the first year but for the first 2 years. So great stats, young, free, and minimal wage. Perfect. Almost won rookie of the year no less.

Victor Anichebe on a free transfer in same year I promoted to EPL.

First couple of seasons he was a great help for the team to keep the position in mid-table and building the team reputation.

in 2019, he is in reserves but still scoring occasionally, even against big ones like R.Madrid, OL, A.C.Milan etc.

In 2018 I got 33 years old Yaya Toure from Arsenal in exchance for a no-hoper regen from my reserves. Arsene must have been becoming senile (or the regen had potential I failed to spot which I doubt) :-)

On my previous save Yoan Gourcuff on a free.

My current save Julio Baptista straight swap for McFadden...has repaid me with 40 goals with 2 months remaining of the season :p

Artem Milevskiy - £3.4 million - not exactely the bargain of the season but in todays market thats a coup :cool:

Nicolas Burdisso - Free :thup:

AKinfeev, Adler, Defour, Witsel on free.

Best one though was a young Russian newgen LB, whom I swapped Danny Simpson with (straight swap). He ended up being in the first team straight away at like 17/18, and now is one of the best LB's in the game.

Would be on FM09, I managed to get Bojan on a free transfer to Sunderland at the end of the first season, went on to win numerous Premier League and Champions League trophies with me, becoming the clubs leading goalscorer, what a legend he was. :D

Would be on FM09, I managed to get Bojan on a free transfer to Sunderland at the end of the first season, went on to win numerous Premier League and Champions League trophies with me, becoming the clubs leading goalscorer, what a legend he was. :D

Sorry to be negative but you didn't 'manage to get him' it was a bug (i think in the second patch) where any team could get him on a free at the end of season one.

Andrew Riley. An AMR regen I signed for free on my Havant and Waterlooville save in FM09. Was with me from League 1 all the way to the Premiership and was still achieving 7+Avg ratings and shed loads of assists per season in the top flight even though he was only a one and half star player!

Bargain!

I might be speaking prematurely, but I have agreed a deal with Ben Arfa that will begin at the start of next season. I don't think he is incredible, but I have lost one striker to a big club and another wants to leave so bringing in someone that I rate highly is good.

Archived