Do scouts ever retain their learned knowledge?

As we all know, if a scout has just finished an assignment, his knowledge of that country starts to fade.

But what if you have scouts permanently set to scouting, say, Brazil, for 2 or 3 years consecutively. Surely they would become a minor expert, and after 7 or 8 years would be so knowledgable that the truly world class scouts would surely retain their knowledge, and it wouldnt just drain away.

My first question is if it is possible to get scouts to retain knowledge? My second is, if its impossible, do you think it should be a new feature for future games?

I get what you're saying, but the players within the country change. If he became knowledgable by scouting Brazil for say 5 years, if he returned in 10 years, the face of Brazilian football would have changed entirely, and so he would no longer be an expert.

However, I don't know if scouting knowledge effects the speed of scouting, and the number of players scouted. If that's the case, then an expert would know where to look if he was to return, in order to find gems etc.

So to answer your question, I suppose you can get scouts to retain their knowledge with periodic scouting excursions to said country. And for the reasons above, I think retaining knowledge could be good, but it would have to depend largely on a timescale.

I get what you're saying, but the players within the country change. If he became knowledgable by scouting Brazil for say 5 years, if he returned in 10 years, the face of Brazilian football would have changed entirely, and so he would no longer be an expert.

However, this happens already in the game. What makes, for example, Shevchenko so special that he always retains all knowledge of Italy, simply by virtue of having played there a long time. He retains all knowledge, so why can't my scouts?!

All knowledge fading in 2 weeks is unrealistic.

If you had scouted for 5 years, knew the player base.... you wouldnt lose all that knowledge in days. If my scouts are that forgetful I don't want them! A better balance needs to be struck in the game.

Also, can anyone answer this: Howcome some staff have permanent 100% knowledge of countries? They may not even be working in that country, but they retain ALL knowledge. This seems silly to me, especially when a scout working in a country for 5 yeasr can lose all his knowledge in weeks.

Staff will always maintain knowledge of their home country because it is presumed that they'll follow the football of their home country, or "have contacts".

I realise this but Shevchenko's home country is not Italy.

Many staff in the game have 100% knowledge of 2 or 3 nations. They are not native to all these nations.

There is some reason for them having 100% knowledge. Contacts, past playing experience, etc, etc. But there has to be a way in the game for the top-end scouts to retain knowledge.. people just arent that forgetful.

Archived