work permit rule

i dont fully understand it either, but i believe it is a grant given by the government of the player's home country to go and work in another country. What i dont get is why really good players get refused?! I would like someone to explain it fully too!

A conditional WP lasts for a year I think. When he moves to a new club he needs a new one and it is checked to see if he is eligible at the moment. To get one the player must have performed in a certain % of games (can't remember what) over a recent period for his national team. If he has not then you can appeal and if the player is an exceptional talent then the first rule may not have to be fulfilled.

I had this problem with a player i was trying to get on loan.

Surely if he's already playing for an English club, it shouldn't be a problem to bring him into my club on LOAN! So what, his permit is denied, and yet he carries on playing for a different club in England? Gee, that makes sense...

It was designed to protect homegrown players but EU nationals get a WP no hassles so its a bit pointless having it!!

EU nationals don't get work permits, they don't need them. There's nothing that can be done about that though because any restrictions on EU nationals breaks European Law - thats why Sepp Blatters proposed "6+5 rule" is yet to happen.

I had this problem with a player i was trying to get on loan.

Surely if he's already playing for an English club, it shouldn't be a problem to bring him into my club on LOAN! So what, his permit is denied, and yet he carries on playing for a different club in England? Gee, that makes sense...

Thats presumably because when he got the work permit for his club, he met the criteria. At the time you're trying to loan him, he no longer meets it - the same problem would be had if another English club tried to sign him. Its possibly a problem if his club try to give him a new contract too, but don't quote me on that!

A conditional WP lasts for a year I think. When he moves to a new club he needs a new one and it is checked to see if he is eligible at the moment. To get one the player must have performed in a certain % of games (can't remember what) over a recent period for his national team. If he has not then you can appeal and if the player is an exceptional talent then the first rule may not have to be fulfilled.

To get a Work Permit in the UK, you must have played in 70% in your countries first team international matches for the past two years. Also, the country must be in the top 70 of the FIFA World Rankings.

If a player doesn't meet the criteria, a work permit may still be granted if the club can prove the player is worth one, basically.

They can't cancel a current permit, but they can deny a new one if they don't feel that he is required for the job.

I'd guess he'd stopped playing internationally, so the home office would decide that he isn't significantly better than what you can get in England.

Archived