Favourite Formation?

My favourite formation is 4-2-2-2, seems to give me the best results when I play and I know the type of players that play in each position.

GK, DR, DC, DC, DL, MC, MC, AML, AMR, ST, ST

Thats my formation, often push a MC up to AMC if im dominating.

Whats your favoured formation?

My favourite formation is 4-2-2-2, seems to give me the best results when I play and I know the type of players that play in each position.

This is the same formation i use with my Man Utd team as it has worked well for me over the last few versions and the current wingers can't seem to play MR or ML so it works out nicely.

In my current Liverpool save I've been using 4-4-1-1. Its worked pretty well as long as its Gerrard thats playing behind the striker who is normally Torres unless he's injured then it's Agbonlahor.

@Charlo116 - You either need a good playmaker in the centre and some good pacey wingers or a complete forward who can set himself up! :p

i had torres up front with gourcuff and gerrard behind with ashley young and afellay on the wings playing as inside forwards. Torres would score a solid amount of goals but he wouldn't score a lot unless i played him with a second striker.

oooh i have to use wingers, i may win sometimes without them, but i dont like the football my team play without them, not fluent enough for me, i like the wingers to power down the sides and put in crosses, livens up my play! even though it doesnt count for anything, it gives me satisfaction knowing im giving my imaginary fans something to cheer about! :p

4-3-3

DL - DC - DC - DR

CM (Deep playermaker) - CM (Ball winning) - CM (Advanced Playmaker)

AMR (Inside forward) - AML (Inside forward)

ST (Complete Striker)

Fluid attacking football, giving massive results and domination

In the past, I always favoured a 4-2-3-1 formation. My biggest successes in '10 though have come from a narrow diamond - it's not one I particularly like, but it fits my players and works well, so I use it.

Recently though, I'm becoming very fond of a rather odd formation I've come up with. In terms of strata, it's a 3-2-2-1-2, but I'd be impressed if anyone can guess how it's actually laid out ;)

Is the 3-3-1-3 used by anyone in RL?

Bielsa used it at the WC, it's a beautiful attacking formation done right. See here for a brilliant insight on it: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/08/marcelo-bielsa-chile-world-cup-2010-tactics/

I used to be a 442 man, but I'm now in love with single striker formations, so any one from:

4-2-3-1 (with the 2 being either CMs or DMCs)

4-2-1-3 (with AMR/L or 3 strikers)

4-1-2-3 (again, with AMR/L or 3 strikers)

Yeah same, especially since I found out Macauley Chrisantus likes a partner. Does mean I have bags of midfield quality warming the bench though

if i have the players I use all these at some point during a session:

4-3-2-1 (Ancelotti x-mass tree, 3 mc's, 2 amc's)

4-2-3-1 narrow (2 mc's, 3 amc's)

4-3-1-2 (3 mc's, amc)

4-1-2-2-1 (dmc, 2 mc, amr, aml)

3-3-4 (3 dc, dmc, 2 mc, amr, aml, 2 st)

4-1-2-1-2 wide diamond (dmc, mr, ml, amc)

currently I think the 4-3-2-1 is my fav (might even be the strongest formation i have used on any fm)

and im also toying with the following line up's (but none of these have gone into regular use just yet on 10,3....even if the 4-4-2 and wide 4-2-3-1 saw lots of use on early fm10 patches):

3-4-1-2 (Capello style, libero, 2 dc, wing backs, 2 mc, amc, 2 strikers)

4-2-3-1 wide (2 mc's, amc, amr, aml)

4-2-3-1 deep and wide (2 dmc's, amc, amr, aml)

4-3-3 (3 mc, 3 st)

4-4-1-1

4-4-2

4-1-2-1-2 narrow diamond

i use this formation aswell:thup:

...............ST.......ST............

AML ................................AMR

..............DM......DM.................

DL..........CB........CB............DR

Simply amazing on the counter

That formation, and the more defensive one with MRL instead of AMRL, is the bugbear of my life managing in Germany. It's nigh on impossible to break down.

Proto Tarkula: Interesting, that is exactly the same formation I created yesterday (although I'm still playing FM09). Works wonders (especially when I'm against an attacking team) with direct passing and left back running up the pitch. LB and ML are set to cross the ball often to far post where both ST and AMR are banging goals in.

Doesn't work that well against teams playing defensively though. In those cases I'm using more conventional 4-1-3-2 (DM, MC, MR, ML, 2xST)

Archived