FM11 - Splite 'Goalkeeper' role into 'Shot-Stopper' and 'Dominate Box'?

Hey, just a quick idea for FM11 - I think we should be able to tell keepers through roles to leave all but the criucial or basic aerial balls to the defence and stay near the goal line, or to come out for lots of crosses etc and dominate the penalty area. Would this work well?

Command of area with some help from eccentricity, decisions and bravery just about cover that so that the goalkeeper will determine his own play style autonomously.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has any success with the "sweeper keeper." I've never had the balls to try it.

I got a regen keeper at Spurs, and he had great pace/acceleration for a keeper (16/15 respectively) Decisions were good as well, so I went with it.

He's gotten 8 assists in 20 matches, and hasn't let in a howler yet, so if he has the stats, then I say do it. It doesn't hurt unless you get scored on.

I will also say he probably saved 3 or 4 sure goals through one on ones by clearing the danger early, so I mean if he does let in a howler or two but saves you 7 or 8, the ratio evens it out in the end.

I've gone for sweeper keeper (attack), and it worked well. Keeper was smart enough to just put his boot through it when he comes erratically sprinting out, and in about 8 seasons, I've only seen it lead to conceding twice.

You've just got to get the right keeper.

Also, surely that's all the OP wants - along with the defence/attack focus?

Archived