Wide play is dominant in lower league football?

I have just finished watching 'Netbusters' (a goals round up program from the English Championship down to League 2) and 80-85% of the goals came from either corners or crosses. This is not accurately represented in the game at all - an average narrow diamond with limited effort will out perform any wide system. I know that people have created wide systems but they either make use of 'cut inside' option which in effect creates a narrow system, or are so attacking that they simply overload the AI's defence.

I have a system very similar to Manchester United from last night (vs. Newcastle) with two 'sitting' central midfielders, a wide right player and a left sided player that cuts inside. Manchester United showed that this system can tear teams apart even at the highest level. I have been working for months on this system with my Tottenham team, and I can still out perform it with Birmingham and a simply 4-2-3-1 (narrow AMCs) that I knocked together in two minutes.

What I am getting at is that I hope they can find a happy medium in FM11 to accomodate every style of play. I know it is difficult, but every FM so far has steered you towards a certain type of system.

Looking forward to FM11 and a more realistic AI defence I hope, attackers that can head the ball and a wider range of wing players coming through the regens (I hope!)

Having said that good work SI

Any opinions from you guys?

I'm quite a fan of the old fashioned 4-4-2 with wingers who run down the line and cross it. I've stuck with this system with FM2011 despite it apparently not being that effective in the game and I've still had my fair share of success.

Like you've hinted though, this sort of system is rarely used at the top level any more and I think the game is trying to reflect that.

I'm quite a fan of the old fashioned 4-4-2 with wingers who run down the line and cross it. I've stuck with this system with FM2011 despite it apparently not being that effective in the game and I've still had my fair share of success.

Like you've hinted though, this sort of system is rarely used at the top level any more and I think the game is trying to reflect that.

Agreed, I think you have inspired me to continue my tactic development and stick with a 4-2-2-2 with wingers and a good old fashioned big man, little combo up front

Wish me luck, hope I experience some of your success

Archived