Advice from experienced managers please?

- 2015/2016 season

- First year in the Premier League with Millwall after finishing runners up in the Championship last season

- Transfer budget of 22 million pounds

- Signed a 17 year old centre half from Dundee 'touted the next Alex McCleish' and a 27 year old foreign creative midfielder for a combined total of 7.5 million for both players

- Kept the whole squad from last season

- No other signings made

- 13 games into the season and we are rock bottom with 2 wins, 2 draws and 9 losses

- Go into most matches and the game is over by half time

- Worryingly struggling to compete at this level, however, our two wins have come against the other two promoted sides

- Currently 4 points from safety

Just wondring if anyone could offer me some advice on how to survive relegation this season?

Is it a case of simpy going out in January and spending the remaining 19 million pounds of the transfer budget (which i am very reluctant to do) on players.

Or has anybody else experienced a very slow start to life in the Premier League, but form has picked up as the team get used to the new level of football?

Any advice welcome :)

Thanks lads

Your squad isn't good enough. If your willing to go down, collect the money, then bounce straight back is probably the better long term advice. But in short, you cannot compete with a poor quality side.

Get in some loans possibly in January. Like players that are listed, but are on big money and cost a fair few million often you can get for around 500k and 50% wage. They will help bolster your squad for sure. Good luck!

What's your training facilities like? Maybe you should improve these and get better coaches. However, I think your going to have to spend some of your money on new players especially ones that are used to playing at premier level. It looks to me like the players you've got simply aren't good enough for the level they are currently at.

I think you should spend some more money in January, just to reinforce any areas where you are weak, or where you ahve been suffering in matches. For example if you are constantly conceding from crosses from behind your left back then spend some money on a new left back, as its obviously a weak area for you.

Other than that I would simply say that you need to make sure you are not playing negative football. Ensure that you are not trying to get your team to sit back and defend too much. By all means use a more defensive tactic than you did last season, but make sure that there is still scope to attack freely, rather than relying purely on counter attacking football or long balls.

Last but not least, a tactic that some people will dislike, and which wouldn't be allowed in real life, but look at your schedule and play a weakened side against good teams, if the next match is against a weaker side, as doing this will ensure that your best lineup will be pretty much completely fit for the match against the weaker side, giving you a better chance of picking up points.

Thanks for the advice lads.

In response to improving my training facilities, this is definately not a problem as the club has just completed development on youth and training facilities which are now 'top class training facilities and excellent youth academy'. As well as this, the club has just increased the stadium capacity to 29,000. The club is definately growing in stature with changes like these happening, but i think its very important we are playing top flight football next season.

In terms of spending money in January, i am a bit unsure as although i have 22 million left to spend, because of all the developments to the training and youth facilities as well as the stadium expansion, we only have 6 million in the 'bank' at the moment so i am going to have to be careful.

Cheers anyway lads much appreciated :)

Once you get to January, you will find a lot of players unhappy about not playing and may be transfer listed on the cheap. Also players will be more willing to come on loan. The only problem with loans is when you are in the top league, teams always expect you to pay for the loan. Small price to pay though I suppose.

hang in there mate and accept relagation.. when i got my Norwich team promoted to the prem i used all my budget to sign to young players for the future both aged 17.. i only had a budget of 7 million tho.. i came straight back down that season but completely walked the Championship the following season and then finished a proud 15th in the prem..

!2 season's on the 2 young players i signed, both turned out to be France internationals, i resigned 1 of them last season as Real Madrid Manager for 25 Mill and he's awsome.

So my advice is stick with it.. it's gonna take along time to build your club up but will be worth it.. if you sing a god player with in a year all the top teams will be chasing him so you got a strugle ahead ;)

You team may well still adapt to the new league. Its not unusual to string a good set of results together at some point in the season, If you can build on that set of results you should be fine. In the end relegation is not the worse thing to happen.

When I have a determined squad (I don't know what type you have) it is best to show your anger at any losses (even narrow ones) that usually makes them try harder but if your players just arn't up to it that tactic might be useless. Saying "No Pressure" does seem to make my teams play in a positive way, "For the Fans" might be what the Assistant often suggests but I rarely use that.

If you are in any cups still I do suggest testing out radical things and seeing what will work.

If your having issues scoring goals, I suggest sticking with your formation but switch player roles abit. I had a world class striker who was having a bit of a goal drought. He was set as an advanced forward, but now i've put him as Complete forward and a poacher every other game. and he's scored 40 goals in 35 game

Also, You sound like you have a big squad. Rotate your players a bit, generate some competition, discipline some for poor performances. give them the hairdryer treatment if you have to.

In january if you need to sign someone new, bring in a player from outside britain, a european player might have the ability to freshen up play.

We are yet to be entered into the FA Cup so will definately try something new there.

As for those of you suggesting relegation isnt the end of the world, i agree, however i am trying to base our progress on Stoke City, they survived first season and are beginning to establish themselves as a Premier League club.

Decided that i am definately going to strengthen the squad in January spending the bulk of my transfer budget on approx 4 players and hope it pays off with an improved second half of the season!

I am considering targeting outstanding players in the Championship from recently relegated clubs, does everyone agree this is a good idea? Im hoping I will be able to get them in for reasonable prices.

Yes it'd be a smart idea, dont go crazy though, you dont want to unbalance your squad. I remember i had a really nifty winger/playmaker/AMC called Alain schultz, he is definately worth a look at, i dont know what your squad is like in terms of talent, but he provided a lot of goals for me.

Oh i'd start giving first team players rests from training too. as long as they're not young and promising :)

Do you play with wingers or narrow?

I play with a straight four four two but i have found myself changing formation quite a bit recently due to away games at the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and Tottenham to a four five one. Will give him a look as i could definately do with a bit of flair down the flanks!

Haha i read it wrong thought you were still in the championship! my mistake, that guy will probably be a bit crap.

Here's a tactic I use sometimes. might be worth a try in the reserves. Fairly defensive.

newcastletown2.png

First season in Prem league is always tough. it took me a many seasons to be steady in it. you just need to push for that league cup win or 7th place, and things will look up quickly.

I remember my first season i had a budget of 22 mil too, i spent 18.5 of it on a 21-year-old keeper of amazing quality, he eventually became a description of legendary. at 31 i looked up his CA, it was 200.Get in.

P.S. That is best in counter attack :)

Nice one for that mate, but i am definately a four four two man if i can help it! I am all about scoring goals, even if that means conceding a fair few as well. I have a decent next 6 fixtures so this is a real chance for us to turn the season around.

I have found, in my numerous - take lower league team to PRL - games, that once you hit the PRL, you need to look into new tactics. It's much harder in the PRL because most teams will have quality players which you can't compete with the first few seasons and the tactics that might have been great taking you up against equal/lower quality teams, just don't cut it anymore.

As others have stated, it is probably best if you just accept relegation. Start trying to rebuild the squad & sell off players in January because come the reset date, they will be worth less as you will be playing in a lower division. Try building a squad of youngters, it may take a couple of years for them to gel, mature & get you promoted, but when you do get back into the top flight then you'll have a much greater chance of staying up as they'll be fairly well developed but still with room for improvement. From there, it's a question of building gradually and within 5/10 years you should be serious title contenders.

If you find that you bounce straight back up, but don't gain promotion as easily as you expect, then it's worth splashing out on a few players in their mid 20's. They will bring experience & quality to the team. The results may be poor to start with, but stick with them as changing them will not enable the team to gel.

Good luck, and i hope my advice is of some use to you. :)

I'd take relegation mate. If you spend big in January and get relegated your going to to pay the price in the Championship as it'll be difficult financially. Buy some good players for small prices and just keep playing, maybe test out a couple of tactics to see what works best for your team. It's kind of like doing a West Brom, they're constantly going up and down which is making them very well off financially.

Saying this when you think the time is right go for it and spend big in the transfer market to try and stay up in the Prem. It may be in the season you get back to the EPL (assuming you get relegated in this one) or in 4 years, just be patient. That's the best way for you to become a good EPL club in my opinion.

Thanks for the advice lads but as much as i understand what a lot of you are saying, there is no way im going to roll over and accept relegation!

Its 1st January now and we are 7 points from safety, i am actively looking for players to strengthen the squad and have already completed a deal for a class left winger from the SPL for 4 million.

I think its definately worth spending my budget and battling relegation instead of selling my best players and accepting relegation. Even if we do end up going down, surely the squad i will have built will be capable of bouncing straight back up without spending a penny on players ??

Good luck to you, like the others I think accepting relegation isn't a bad thing, but I think your drive is great. Do you read what your staff have to say in the pre-match meetings? If not I really think you should. They can tell you how to play to stop the opposition so you might get a few 1 pointers, which could prove crucial in your survival attempt.

i wont be downloading your tactic mate because i would rather have a crack at it myself but thanks all the same, will definately be looking into playing a narrow diamond. Congrats on winning the league, shows that if you are talented tactically, you've got as gooder chance as anyone!

I have spent 16 million pounds on four quality players from Europe so will now be looking for a much improved second half of the season.

Nice one for the advice lads, much appreciated!

Guest markyosullivan

You really need to motivate your team. I just finished my latest saves first season with Chelsea W33 D5 L0 that was my record in the Premiership unfortunately I went out in the 4th round of the FA Cup but I won the Champions League.

Check the overal personality of your team and then once you find what motivates them then wait until the key matches of the season and say it to them then. Good luck!

I've got been promoted with Leeds United and i understand how tough you find it. There is no way im going to get relegated, you may aswell stay up because there is a lot of money involved.

Just fight it out, i usually follow the backroom advice, try and control the game and if i knick a goal i try and sit back, im currently coming 11th in the league with the majority of league 1 standard players.

I'd also buy wisely, only sign players that are quality players, find a tactic that works well and sign players that suit that role. But seriously, just rag it out up there

In my first season in the Prem with Newport we went straight back down, around January I had figured we were already done for so I planned for the next season. Spent all my transfer budget getting in players on the cheap and went on to win the Championship in the following season smashing most records. This worked and I stayed up, now 8 seasons later I still use a couple of the players I signed back then. Won both the League and FA Cup but yet to finish higher than 3rd in the league.

Only sign players with high stats in the right places, and I found getting a solid keeper helps a lot. Key players on long contracts is good to make sure you keep hold of them if you do go down, nothing worse than not being able to renew a contract as they want to move to a bigger club!

I agree with you on offering long term contracts, around 14 of my 21 man squad are currently on deals not due to expire for four years.

Currently in the semi final of the FA Cup and 5 points from safety with around 10 games to go, things are looking up!

To anybody that's interested, we ended up getting relegated on the last day of the season! Turns out you were all right.

Cheers for the advice lads, take care.

Sorry to hear that. This topic has been a good read though.

To anybody that's interested, we ended up getting relegated on the last day of the season! Turns out you were all right.

Bad luck lad, but you'll probably bounce back better for it, and you'll have a comparative fortune to spend next year in the Champo.

Sorry to hear that, it's been fun helping you out though. Good luck with next season!

Archived