fm 2011 demo ?

• SI Staff
how many threads are we going to get about this now

No doubt a lot as usual. A lot of people will only come here to find out that sort of information, which is OK.

No doubt a lot as usual. A lot of people will only come here to find out that sort of information, which is OK.

Yeah, IMO a sticky thread should be made with info about demo.

Though, even that won't help too much, but it will be helpful.

A sticky would help I suppose but people still dont bother to look or search, thats the problem.

The sorts of people that just want to come in to get a quick answer to a question are likely to be the sorts of people who won't read the stickies or do a search. I know I made that mistake when I first signed up :D

The sorts of people that just want to come in to get a quick answer to a question are likely to be the sorts of people who won't read the stickies or do a search. I know I made that mistake when I first signed up :D

Dafuge not searching before making a thread. Never thought I'd see the day. :D

• SI Staff
Yeah, IMO a sticky thread should be made with info about demo.

Not really much point in that until we announce a release date IMO. I think last year we put something about the demo release along with the release date.

Not really much point in that until we announce a release date IMO. I think last year we put something about the demo release along with the release date.

Well, maybe you should do it earlier this year, as last year there were still threads about the demos. :)

Well, maybe you should do it earlier this year, as last year there were still threads about the demos. :)

I think the best way to deal with the usual repeated threads is to give the most detailed correct answer as soon as possible. You may be repeating yourself but the threads soon drop down the page as there's nothing anyone else can add to it.

I think the best way to deal with the usual repeated threads is to give the most detailed correct answer as soon as possible. You may be repeating yourself but the threads soon drop down the page as there's nothing anyone else can add to it.

I know, but they really take a lot of space and do push down some good threads, but still it's worth giving a shot to answer ASAP and close the thread. :)

I know, but they really take a lot of space and do push down some good threads, but still it's worth giving a shot to answer ASAP and close the thread. :)

Definitely, it is when people try to start an argument about doing a search that threads like that stay near the top of the forum ;)

Definitely, it is when people try to start an argument about doing a search that threads like that stay near the top of the forum ;)

Yeah, like this one. :D Any chance of you moderators delete those thread, instead of just closing them? Maybe after sticky thread appears and people still ask about demo the you delete those threads.

Yeah, like this one. :D Any chance of you moderators delete those thread, instead of just closing them? Maybe after sticky thread appears and people still ask about demo the you delete those threads.

The advantage with closing a thread rather than deleting it is that people will notice that the thread isn't wanted. In a busy forum like this one the closed threads should fall off the page fast enough.

The advantage with closing a thread rather than deleting it is that people will notice that the thread isn't wanted. In a busy forum like this one the closed threads should fall off the page fast enough.

Ahh, right, wasn't thinking of that. Still new threads will be created. :D

Cheers dafuge.

Still new threads will be created. :D

I think new threads about things like the demo will always be started whatever we do, it is exactly the sort of thing that people will 'pop in' to the forum to ask. I know from experience that it is easy to forget that not everybody spends every day of their lives here though ;)

I think new threads about things like the demo will always be started whatever we do, it is exactly the sort of thing that people will 'pop in' to the forum to ask. I know from experience that it is easy to forget that not everybody spends every day of their lives here though ;)

Well, yes just as Ter said, in some hand it's okay that people just come here to inform themselves about what they want to know and that's it I guess.

Anyway, we shall bravely fight it! :D (By answering politely to all those threads :D xD)

After everything that has been said already, why has this not been closed yet? Lets get it off the first page as quickly as possible. We need to make room for the other 200 threads about the demo before its released.

I thought that the discussion about forum etiquette was rather important.

Yes forum etiquette is that you search before making threads. Not a lot more needs to be said. Is this being closed now?

Once the discussion ends, yes. However, if anyone else has any comments about people starting repetitive threads or about people criticising people for starting repetitive threads then I'm more than happy to keep this open. Personally I find the second more annoying but I guess I'm in a minority in that.

Once the discussion ends, yes. However, if anyone else has any comments about people starting repetitive threads or about people criticising people for starting repetitive threads then I'm more than happy to keep this open. Personally I find the second more annoying but I guess I'm in a minority in that.

Like I said, the way I see it, forum etiquette is to at least search before you make the thread or try to find the info for yourself first. The amount of times people have made threads about something and the same thread has been made only 4 or 5 down but they have been too lazy to even look. Not even an actual search is involved there, just open your eyes. Also do people even know how to use Google anymore? Ive lost count of the times people have started threads and if they search Google, the thing they are looking for is provided in the first link.

Its like people want everything handed to them on a plate. Somebody once made a thread and I replied by saying if you search google, what you need is in the first link. They then replied and asked me to post the link for them. How lazy is that? Now do you understand how infuriating it is? You and other people may get annoyed at people criticising but im betting its not half as annoyed as people like me get when somebody cant even be bothered to open their eyes and look what is actually infront of them. Its not hard to look first and its not hard to search.

If its something that is worthy of a new thread then by all means do it. If they are a new user then they get a bit of slack and are advised to search in future. What we dont need is people with say 500+ posts, still not searching and still making threads that are not needed and pointless.

I hope you can see my point. :)

Like I said, the way I see it, forum etiquette is to at least search before you make the thread or try to find the info for yourself first. The amount of times people have made threads about something and the same thread has been made only 4 or 5 down but they have been too lazy to even look. Not even an actual search is involved there, just open your eyes. Also do people even know how to use Google anymore? Ive lost count of the times people have started threads and if they search Google, the thing they are looking for is provided in the first link.

Its like people want everything handed to them on a plate. Somebody once made a thread and I replied by saying if you search google, what you need is in the first link. They then replied and asked me to post the link for them. How lazy is that? Now do you understand how infuriating it is? You and other people may get annoyed at people criticising but im betting its not half as annoyed as people like me get when somebody cant even be bothered to open their eyes and look what is actually infront of them. Its not hard to look first and its not hard to search.

If its something that is worthy of a new thread then by all means do it. If they are a new user then they get a bit of slack and are advised to search in future. What we dont need is people with say 500+ posts, still not searching and still making threads that are not needed and pointless.

I hope you can see my point. :)

One of my very first posts on this forum was asking something that had been answered on the first page. Unfortunately I think that this is something that will always happen and the best we can hope for is that the people responding to them will be a little bit more polite and helpful than they were when I first posted. Perhaps I'd have stuck around a bit longer at first had I got a helpful response instead of the flaming I received.

As for the threads that are clearly wind ups, just ignore them and prevent them from staying near the top of the forum. I can see your point, but I think that the reaction to threads like this can often cause more problems than the threads themselves.

Archived